Early commitments

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by kejj1212, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002

2. kejj1212

kejj1212 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Dsocc, with all respect to the scope and depth of your expirience, I suggest you and anyone else following this thread or considering recruiting options read this article; http://www.decatursports.com/articles/how_college_scholarships_really_.htm The article talks about the pressures in recruiting. Although this article was written in 1999, the scenarios discussed are happening today. These stories more closely resemble the situations we had to take into account. Some of the top programs also happen to be top academic institutions as well. Obviously top players want to go to top academic programs as well as top soccer programs. Talk to kids on a state or regional team or an elite club team and many are being recruited by the same schools. If you receive an significant offer from one of these schools, some coaches are gracious enough to give you time to compare, "within a reasonable time" I believe we were told. Other schools either couldn't match offers or simply didn't give you as much time. Not a good or bad thing, just the way some operate. If financial aid is an issue, there's a little pressure. Contrary to what you may say, I don't believe full rides(or significant scholarships) are a dime a dozen at good schools and programs, even among elite players. The talent pool is definitely rising among the women's ranks. (Note the recent soccerbuzz article on the new recruits). There is also the relative security of commiting early to have an agreement between the prospective student and school should an injury arise prior to signing a NLI. As for the men's side I concur that the opportunities are fewer, but I believe more because of a heavier recruitment of foreign players and fewer schools.(Approx. 202 men's div1, 285 women's Div 1) Not because the guys are neccesarily more talented per capita. I can't speak to the situations regarding the recruitment of male soccer players. I have limited exposure to those situations. However, factors affecting women soccer players to consider early decisions are real and tangible, and a little more prevalent than I believe you give them credit for.

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I've read them. I also don't believe I said that significant scholarships were a dime a dozen. They're not. Trust me about the D1 men's game as well. Relative athleticism falls off much more sharply among women than among men, so that among men, actual skill is placed at a higher premium, AND there are fewer opportunities.

As for individual schools, if you have your heart set on Stanford, Notre Dame or UNC, and it has to be an elite institution, then there isn't much I can say. You gotta do what you gotta do. In that situation, however, fully expect the coach to have the upper hand.

There are plenty of D1 schools that are not intellectually elite, but offer a solid combination of both academics and high end soccer to be considered viable candidates. It's this range of schools that I'm referring to. It's one thing to want to leverage soccer skill to get into the best school possible, and quite another to be so dogmatic so as to actually limit the opportunities.

Believe it or not, a school like Wake Forest (which is very elite), has no interest in letting Clemson (which is good, but not elite) get the upper hand in a recruiting battle. Both are Top 20 programs. So if you want to play in the ACC (and are capable), and are academically qualified enough to get into Wake, it's worth while checking out what Clemson has very carefully. If you get the offer you want from Wake, great. If Clemson makes an offer that looks better, jump all over it if you like the school. The same rational applies for many other programs. If you're only in the excercise to attend the very top academic institutions, then the amount of time and money spent getting there might have been put to better use.

4. Justamom

Justamom New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    sW Ohio
    What did you answer exactly?
    What was the question?

5. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    You asked 13 questions. I gave 13 answers.

6. Justamom

Justamom New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    sW Ohio