News: Dynamo Stadium Thread: Deal Reached

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El Naranja, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Offered New Stadium By Private Ownership

I like this latest Dynamo stadium story from the local CBS affiliate. The best site is still the East Downtown location and the news of the alternate site has got some of the EaDo players speaking out in favor of the stadium. It nevers hurts when buisinesses and local chambers starting putting the pressure on politicians. The threat of a jail on that location doesn't hurt either.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Soccer-Fight-Over-Stadium-83310372.html

2. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

hopefully the competition makes one or the other site break ground sooner then later.

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

I hope they put the jail at the site north of Bellaire. Residents can't complain about that causing a huge increase in traffic.

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It might, but it'll be a different kind of traffic.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They can take the Dynamo fans straight from the jail to the field and back! Sorry couldn't resist. :D

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is actually a massive sticking point with County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia.

She won't let it go and she honestly expects an MLS club to undercut some coin each home match or she won't sign off on the downtown deal.
    She indeed demands from our FO that they undersell 10% of the new Stadium's seats, thus when the big names in MLS come to your town once a season, imagine a restriction put in place by a politico that sufficates a vital revenue souce in a growing league.
    to reap a full house in ticket sells for a sought after ticket
    She has never run a small business or made a payroll and IMHO is off her rocker once again.

8. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Sylvia owns the Houston MLS team, she's the team's guerrilla stake holder. First she made your team change your name from something that represents Texas pride and independence and then the whole movie ticket price equivalent issue . . . and I'm sure she's thinking $1 theater rather than Avatar in 3D prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dynamo end up changing their team colors to match Sylvia's curtains before it's all said and done.

Sorry Celt, but I couldn't resist! :D

9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston

Why do not the Rockets and Texans, who took MUCH MUCH MORE taxpayer subsidies, also have to offer 10% of their tickets at movie prices???

Somebody should ask that b*tch Silvia Garcia that question.

10. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

I don't know why the residents of Barçelona don't run all of their public works projects by you for final approval, but I am glad they don't!

Seriously, try visiting Barçelona; it makes a hell of a lot more sense in context.

In the effort to remain slightly on topic, I am excited about Houston having 2 options for a stadium and think that anyone who wants a European quality stadium has never been to a Livorno home game.

11. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

Or a Siena home game. Seriously, any Italian stadium outside of the big cities wouldn't be approved as a high school football stadium down south.

12. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Largely due to the fact that most Italian teams' stadiums are municipality owned and havn't been upgraded since Italia 1990. It also means Italian teams can't bring in all the extra revenue that the English and Spanish clubs regularly derive from owning their stadiums, which along with TV money is one of the big reasons why Italian football is slipping well behind. In some ways it's similar to how MLS teams had to leave stadiums were they were paying rent and start building their own digs, Juve is the first team in Italy to do this by demolishing the crappy old Delle Alpi and rebuilding their own stadium on the site.

13. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007

i'm not sure in what sense italian soccer is 'slipping well behind.' the english clubs have the built-in advantage of connecting with the use of the english language and the historic influence of england worlwide, but the italian brand has a bit of cachet of its own. italian clubs haven't won the cl in a couple of years, but it's not like they're supposed to win every year.

as for finances, the debt levels of some large english teams are pretty high, even with their better business model. and what's really driving english soccer, arguably, isn't the business structure, but the big spenders from abroad at chelsea and man city (both of which have recycled italian coaches).

as for the italian stadiums, i don't think it's fair to judge them on the siena and livorno model. those are lousy, and you might throw in catania and maybe cagliari as well (from what i see on tv, anyway). but that leaves 16teams in pretty decent stadiums. and the stadiums in florence, genoa, or palermo, for example, are some of the most attractive in europe. parma seems nice also. if anything, it's the big stadiums in rome and naples that aren't ideal because of the running track.

14. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes it was very delle-alpi-dated.
    See what I did there?

I'll get my coat.:eek:

15. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Italian football is in the pits, when was the last time you saw a major player go to Italy with the exception of Ronaldinho who's past it now anyways. English football was on the up before Roman bought Chelsea and signalled the era of billionaires investing in it, indeed Manchester United were better off before the Glazers and Liverpool aren't much better with Hicks/Gillette now than they were before. If anything the new billionaire model is harming English football rather than helping it with the exception of some hands off owners like Randy Lerner.

Go back to the 90's and there were two prominent leagues in Europe, Spain and Italy. There was even a weekly Italian football show on UK TV and live matches every Sunday. Italian clubs regularly paid the highest wages, broke transfer records and won European trophies. Now they're also rans on the level of German teams, incidentially if Germany loosened up it's rules on team ownership and increased ticket prices, it could easily rival the EPL and La Liga in terms of wealth.

16. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'm guessing you don't know much about energy requirements for LED technology.

17. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or the debt load of the EPL, which may be why they have not "loosened" up their rules.

18. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or the inverse square law.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

What was this thread about?

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or what happened to my snarky post?

21. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

When the two biggest influences on the art scene there are Guadi and Dali this makes perfect sense to me. I only wish it had been built when I lived there for a year in the late 90s.

22. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Here is some news!!! :) & none of it is good... :mad:

"...The final go-ahead for building a soccer stadium on the EaDo site will require county commissioners to formally join the new East Downtown TIRZ (boundaries shown outlined above). But they can’t vote on that proposal until commissioner El Franco Lee puts that decision on the agenda. So far he hasn’t done that — and he apparently won’t talk to the press or constituents about his intentions.

....Meanwhile, over in Bellaire, city officials are rushing to put in some “stop-gap” zoning changes to the Research and Development District at the northern edge of the city. Most of the site of Midway Companies’ proposed Dynamo Stadium development there lies within Houston city limits, but a small portion on the east side is apparently in Bellaire’s RDD."

http://swamplot.com/boxing-out-dynamo-stadium/2010-02-11/

Also, this is not Dynamo related, but click on this link to view some of what El Franco Lee's kid likes to paint

http://www.artshound.com/event/detail/25809

"...For example in Nightmare Katrina II gun toting and soda drinking members of the National Guard, floating in a boat in New Orleans' flood waters, blatantly disregard the stranded, dead, dying. In Tu Pac Autopsy the slain singer lies cut open on the autopsy table, while the police accept bribes, Orlando Knight takes his pay, and Suge Knight celebrates the death with a glass of Crystal."

23. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Politics at its best:(

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Okay, guys I'm just going to tell you some inside info, I used to work in El Franco Lee's office for 2 summers when school was out. He made a concentrated to effort to get public parks projects approved, which then the contracts would then get handed over to this company...

http://www.espa-corp.com/aboutuscompanyemp.html#

These are all of his friends & his own son is employed there, although he doesn't actually do anything. El Franco Lee is probably just stalling as a negotiating tactic with the Dynamo to get this company some work...this is how the man works. Maybe he's a distant cousin of Jack Warner.

Now you know the real story.