News: Dynamo Stadium - City & County Approve Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el nordissimo, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Dynamo Stadium - Done Deal?

that is nice specially if the number is closer to 25K... you can fill it several times a year, according to your current attendance numbers

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The initial outlook for capacity was 22,000 but there was the idea of splitting the difference with the Rob's 32-31K (depending on gridiron or soccer) and other SSS's in MLS hovering around 20-22K, thus 25K has been considered down at our Dynamo FO.

S m o o t h S a i l i n g partner, say it with me, as I think I know Oliver better than anyone on our boards and if this deal is where it is at now, then I am very confident in saying the waters are calm.

Well let me put it this way, when it came time where push evolved to a needed shove, the rally in the rain/sun folks made it known that they are taking time out of their offseason weekends to let our politicos hear that they need to be freakin' proactive in 2010. Of course all our folks have had their part Rey, including, imagine this, the players (who really EARNED a new hogar) so it can never be a select crew.
    I will be honest with you in that it is very cool to be able to witness the DSA folks who turned up in full voice with efforts to get Sylvia off her El Franco and got this shit done!

Pue. decir "Chimney Roka Park"? ;)

3. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you Celt, for being the driving force behind the push that put this over the edge!

4. sconnie101

sconnie101 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Madison / Omaha
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The latest i've heard on capacity was 20,000. I know in the past it has mostly been 22,000 but I just recently saw the 20 number in a Houston newspaper release I think yesterday or maybe even today. I don't have time to find it but anyways...does that have any merit or is that just an outdated or uninformed number on the newspapers end??

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info Celt. Would love more when able. Man all this time and things are looking great!!!!

GRACIAS A DIOS!!!!!!

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

here is a link to the presentation at the city council committee yesterday: http://images.bimedia.net/documents/Potential+Interlocal+Agreement+Stadium+Project.pdf

Also, on capacity, I think smaller (20-22) is better than bigger as based on likely increased ticket prices across the board, I question if you can legitimately pack the stadium as much as many think will happen - you have to look at a 5-10 year period, not just year 1 when the newness factor is there.

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

A definite positive that I see about your new stadium is that when I visit, I can grab a good, greasy, cheap burger meal at Sparkle's then walk Dowling right to the game.

8. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Part of looking at that 5-10 year period is also looking at what direction you expect change to go. If they think it'll be up, they need to go more to the 25K number.

With a certain percentage of tickets caped (at well below what they are going to end up charging folks like me) I don't know that there'll be that much of a drop off in attendance. Maybe some after the newness wears off but I think we'll still have about a 20K average if we leave more room.

I'd be happier with capacity at 22 to 25K. Extra room for bigger games and real scarcity for the huge games is always a good thing for desirability. 20K and below in this market may encourage people to think of the tickets as too hard to get, so not not worth the effort.

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like I'll have a lot of travelling to do in March-April 2012. The new Dynamo pitch, and the new Marlins stadium in Miami, both opening at the same time.

10. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I noticed in the presentation that the stadium will be complete on April 1st, 2012. The way this thing has been going I hope this isn't an April Fool's joke.

11. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sports Authority in the bag.

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Video link: "Stadium will not be paid for by local taxes, but by visitor taxes..."

Should make everyone happy...should.

13. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Finally a media report that tells the truth! About time!

14. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chron Article on the Sports Authority ok: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6929789.html

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D
    How much money in that unmarked paper bag for "Friends of the Stadium" process?

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to be too technical on you, but its a rental car tax. That means when you get wrecked and rent a car, you pay the tax. It is predominantly a visitor's tax but the ratio of local car renters is higher than what you would think (I recall it is around 40% is local).

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

The video on the Channel 2 website about this is incorrect.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/22954513/index.html

There is no "visitor tax" going to the Dynamo Stadium. The TIRZ money is property tax money from around the stadium site.

No idea where the reporter got that idea about people coming from out of town paying for this deal. It was good that he pointed out that the Dynamo are paying most of the total.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Except that it isn't true.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Easy fellas. I'm a New Yorker following your stadium with excitement. I was simply misinformed by your own local media.

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've rented cars twice to drive to Dallas for Dynamo games, how ironic.

well then, never mind....

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I should have been more clear - the Channel 2 report thought the stadium was funded with Sports Authority taxes (the rental car tax) bit the Dynamo stadium is done with a diversion of property tax revenue thru a TIRZ mechanism.

Channel 2 is wrong, but that's just a hint of the confusion on this with the Sports Authority involved.

22. SMUPlayer

SMUPlayer New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    DC

From someone who is dying for a stadium, CONGRATS! I have been trolling to see renderings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

23. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats why you tell your customers to go to Fortbend to rent cars. :D Or increase the daily amount from $30 a day to $35-40 to cover all the taxes on a midsize vehicle in Harris County

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

There aren't many out there. And we don't know how accurate even these are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

About time. But then, it always was just a "question of time," wasn't it?