Dynamo Fan Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by *rey*, Oct 26, 2010.

1. The Frenchman

The Frenchman Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Katy
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    1 person likes this.
  2. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a huge UH fan but I like Sumlin, glad to hear Case gets another shot.

4. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Newtex, you have met your match

[​IMG]

5. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Deserves kudos

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAVzbNhZzDw"]YouTube - Columbus Crew Lego Mosaic[/ame]

7. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Some of these tattoos are amazing... some are just plain weird.

[​IMG]

8. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Perry Kitchen - "tears" up the competition

10. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I find this hilarious! jajaja

USMNT keeper Keller booed in Portland

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because that author, one Mike Acker, does a quality job of running over the small matter that BOTH Portland and Seattle have had massive D-2 (i.e. USL) encounters over the years and will only upgrade this EXISTING rivalry to Div-1 status (MLS) in 2011.

"Come on Portland, you should love this guy. Of course all bets are off when the Timbers do start playing." Check...er...is this Ortiz's twin up there waxing poetic on his city's sports scene??? Haha! Way to be in the know on Portland soccer brah!

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Since Keller is from Olympia but played collegiate ball in Portland, the author's bet would not be the gimme he suggests. Might have played for Seattle anyway, considering Washington is a more modest college soccer state and Keller likely went to Portland because it used to be a very successful program on the order of UCLA, SMU, UStL, or the ACC schools (and these days, Akron) under Charles.

For instance, Texas soccer players don't have much in-state elite college soccer choice, SMU and then a massive dropoff. So you have a lot of ACC players and other out of state collegians actually from here. For instance, Holden and Dempsey. But given the choice to play in Texas they might very well do so -- like Holden. Hometown over college.

For what it's worth, it's a positive sign that Portland fans already know whom to "hate." That shows both that they are vocally loyal to their team -- where some teams like Dallas are sooo quiet and subdued -- and that they also know the league and the competition well enough to understand the rivalries. Some of the USL "graduates," particularly Seattle and Toronto, have been massive surprises, and I think some of that reflects the long-term history of a particular club with particular opponents that many MLS teams, including Houston, can't necessarily match. We're still building up some of the identity that the NW teams seem to already have.

13. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

Updated MLS Team names
    Seattle AnimalLovers
    Portland Bums
    Real Horny
    NY Metrostars

14. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I dunno about a 2-day tourney, presumably semis one day and final/3rd the next. At that point in the year they really ought to space the games out some because it's post-season for A-League and pre-season for MLS, so you're not getting fully fit players.

But I like the Pan-Pacific concept because I think right now we have more in common with the J-, A-, and K-Leagues than the European setups we tend to aspire to be, as well as the Mexican League we contend with in CONCACAF.

16. calebgilk

calebgilk New Member

Arsenal
    Italy
    Oct 18, 2021
  17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now that is a throwback Thursday post.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    that was a fun tournament until gamba osaka ran us through the woodchipper

as i understand it that stadium has been condemned, like literally falling apart, and they don't host games anymore

MLS is obsessed with MX and keeps coming up with competitions with them, i'd like to see some pan-pacific or pan-atlantic stuff, k-league, j-league, a-league.
    or have a weaker team host something like "La manga" in their preseason. rather see that than a cash cow friendly where they play each other on our fields.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try not to recall that day over Macho Grande, err, Gamba Osaka.

[​IMG]

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Brazilian Hulk play for them?

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #346 juvechelsea, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    i'd rather be playing games like that in between lifting trophies and contesting playoffs, than worrying if we can even beat ATX at home in saturday league ball

the guy on here who was like "demanding success for support is unfair," couldn't have been around back then and understand how much this feels like a letdown relatively speaking

i mean, to me being a dynamo fan is watching the team play in hawai'i or the costa rican jungle or pachuca or against the purple monster -- and put up a fight with all comers -- and this is a weak weak weak xerox to be begging for "average" or "above the red line"

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea really where to put this article since I am banned from Dash posting, but really intriguing and seems like a bit of a hatchet job before the WWC. Once again, not sure why anyone would coach the Dash, seems like you end up losing and getting accused and then convicted in the court of public opinion off of very little hard evidence.

https://theathletic.com/4645562/2023/07/03/vera-pauw-ireland-nwsl/

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, there is some paywall that prevents from reading the entire article but that first bit is just a big Wow!
    "The most terrible coach I have ever had."---one of her former players.

I am confident that there are soccer players in life that never ran into or had to deal with American Football coaches and their insane asshole tendencies. @Ethos
    It is just part of learning this early in a player's evolution, like in Junior High really, HA!, and working through it.

24. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    #349 Ethos, Jul 5, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2023
    Banned from Dash posting? On a practically dead forum. Makes sense, who was that Mod who came here a while back and started deleting post?

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    this would not be some undisciplined JV kid who doesn't play select and can't handle their first brush with loudness, control, or guidance. this would be someone high performance with perhaps 4 layers' (select, HS, college, and now pro) experience and maybe even more than one coach at those layers, saying from experience their coach is unusually obnoxious and useless.

i could tell my HS coaches were fairly useless from the word go. overlong practices, excessive running, poor selection (i mean, you're starting those scrubs with us?), upperclass fetishes, not enough teaching, too much yelling and usually just because the result wasn't happening, not to communicate a fix or motivate.

any idiot can flip through a book or ask around and run their team through a sequence of drills and then list an XI gameday. any idiot can yell at their team for the sake of yelling. are you running the legs off your team while thinking you're conditioning them? are you instructing/reminding a player when you yell or are you just venting to the detriment of morale? are you spending more time on deadballs than teaching the run of play progression? are you adding anything technical to their arsenal? are you implementing tactics and game patterns or just running drills?

i trust the players' opinion and am pretty sure at that level you're not dealing with a bunch of snowflakes. you're also ignoring the dash's losing record under the coach which suggests she was unsuccessful. reading between the lines they were being asked to not just watch their diet but perhaps turn in some sort of diary, with constant weigh-ins as a sort of honesty check. they were then run too much and yelled at all the time. i don't think you would like being judged by and monitored in nutrition and weight and not just how do i play. my personal experience too much running results in team attrition -- health problems and injuries as the season progresses -- i favor treating running as encompassed in playing the sport -- enforced by practice intensity. my experience was also i will respect a teacher who yells at me to remind me of teaching but not someone who rides my a$$ while teaching me little. that is venting posing as coaching.