Dynamo Fan Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by *rey*, Oct 26, 2010.

1. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suprised he was let go after averaging 61,224 goals a game.

2. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Yank of English heritage I don't know what to think about this post. On one hand, I am tempted to file an EEO (English Employment Opportunity) complaint based on the implied tenor of the post. But on the other, as an individual who is somewhat advanced in years, I'm also tempted to say - "It's hell to get old - and everyone gets there someday"

Leave my m8 Ade alone - he's a nice bloke just trying to make a living.:)

3. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Way I understand it, it's an Orlando-esque (former Austin Aztex) exercise in trying to snatch a MLS franchise by starting a lower division team as a demonstration piece. I agree with the sentiment that wannabees should have to show what they can do at a lower level before we hand them the keys to a MLS team, but I worry that NASL lessons are being forgotten and it's becoming expansion for expansion's sake. Just go to MLS' website and read the comments re Miami. People are like "why stop at 20 teams, we're way bigger than England" -- but we don't attend soccer like it -- or "let's give NY a second team" -- before they even build up a first team track record -- or "let's give random city X a team" (Ottawa, StL, Atlanta, Miami).

It's important to MLS' credibility that teams not fold, they should concentrate on the teams they have -- which have basically tapped out anything save Rochester worth promoting to the big leagues -- and work on profitability.

6. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  7. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly is unveiling their new jersey sponsor today. All the reports are saying it will be bimbo. Not to bring up old arguments or anything, but wouldnt it make more sense for them to sponsor the dynamo? Granted, their headquarters are up there.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Why? They are HQ there and the brands they own are conceivable national/international anyway.

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to derail this thread (jaja :D) but why are they headquartered there anyway? I always thought it was a Mexican company that happened to buy Mrs. Baird's bread. Then the other day I was looking at a box that held a Bimbo rosca de reyes and noticed it said headquarters in Philly. Does that mean the world-wide headquarters or just the US part? It really seems a long way from their home base.

10. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of their sponsorship of the Mexican teams. And there are alot of Mexican fans here. Potential for new fans for dynamo. Well I guess it makes more sense for dynamo then for bimbo.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Disagree. The whole purpose of spending that level of marketing dollars in this case is name recognition. If what you imply is true (and there is name recognition here) it makes no sense for them to spend 3 million/year on a market that already knows them. That would be brand reinforcement which is obviously not what they are going after.

All that being said, most of us know there name but how many can name their companies/products WITHOUT looking it up? They sell under 19 different names in the USA. I could only name 4 (Boboli, Entenmanns, Mrs Baird, Sun-Maid), and I had no idea they were owned by Bimbo.

12. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Here's the article on the Bimbo deal

Makes perfect sense to me. It's a quality brand and they need to change their english speaker's perceptions of the company. The "soccer mom of the year" award may not necessarily help, but it's helping the league as a whole

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yep - seems like Bimbo was more concerned with the MLS sponsorship than the Philly sponsorship:

"I wanted to have the deal be broader than Philadelphia, because the brand is broader than Philadelphia," Melchiorre said. "A national element is really important to us."

14. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NDR:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL4WxTqHzw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL4WxTqHzw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    hey don't be greedy! in Houston, Mexican nationals keep the Galeria in business, they have Cemex HQ next to Memorial City and provide a large immigrant labor force. we have to keep other US geographical area's economies going too!

*lengua en cacheta*

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Texas and California where their first two US states through Mrs. Bairds. The US headquarters were located in Fort Worth IIRC up until a year and a half ago when they moved to the North east. Considering they now have 19 US brands, I suppose any location is as good as the next.

17. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting that they seem to be allowing colors in the shirt sponsor now. MLS did not allow that previously.

Previous Glidden logo had to be white or black on the jersey as opposed to their corporate mark:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Houston Dynamo Prawn Sandwich Brigade - Associate Producer has a nice ring to it.

Maybe even - "Westside Cosmo" Associate Producer:cool:

20. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dislike the way that logo looks on any jersey, to much white background, if your jersey is not white (like the one on the top right), it disrupts your color scheme, but I'm envious of the deal, I'm grateful we had Amigo Energy and I'm grateful for our new sponsor, but Philly found a good sponsor indeed.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean to tell me that I've been eating MEXICAN crumb cake the last few years????? and MEXICAN cherry pies!!!! and they may buy Tastycakes according to the Philly paper!!!! what's next, Drake's Cakes and MEXICAN Devil Dogs ??? :D

All joking aside, I had absolutely no idea that Bimbo had bought up those US companies. I think I've seen their BIMBO stuff at places like Bucee's. So brand awareness of something most weren't aware of may be accomplished AND it's something fans can actually buy, unlike recycling.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bimbo on the front of a man's chest in the U.S. is great on paper but it was like Milwall IIRC getting Virigin Airlines as the main sponsor for the club and main shirt sponsor back in 2000 or 2001. Needless to say that club's FO loved the idea and it sounded good on paper to have Virgin in big print on the team's jersey but alas it did not fly, har har, over to well with all the lads in the stands and out on the street. Their kit sales plumetted immediately after the signing!
    To make matters worse rival supporters "get it" that it was a great cash cow deal for the club but they still had great fun winding up the Milwall guys over the Virgin name next to their crest.
    With Bimbo, it's the same, I mean hats off to the Union FO for landing a cash deal with a big company but it will not change the fact that the word Bimbo in our nation will give your rivals some great ammo for laughs at Philthydelphia's expense. The Bimbos have formed a Union for streetwalkers. There I said it.

23. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I though too. The deal was good, better than ours, but it's also going to have to overcome the hit jersey sales are going to take. Those of us that didn't growup thinking of this as a bread maker are never really going to "get over it."

I still wish FCFrisco would have walked into this one, not because it would give us yet another way of making fun of them. Oh, wait, precisely because of the fun at their expense. But since you mention it though, I think maybe landing a deal with Branson would be even better. Imagine that, a dozens of Virgin Waldos showing up to watch their team at Pizza Hut Oven. Epic.

24. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The CopaSudamericana is on GolTV today

El Salvador-Nicaragua 5 p.m. GolTV
    Costa Rica-Honduras 7 p.m. GolTV
    Panama-Belize 9 p.m. GolTV

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that should be Copa Centroamericana.