Dynamo Downtown Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is refreshing to see someone praching by example, teachers need to preach by example, you can dislike the person but you need to respect the position, president, governors, senators, congress members, council members, etc, etc, etc.

I also thought it was the wrong thing to do, specially because this was our day, a day of happiness, but then again, things like this happens in soccer all the time, you always have a minuscule part of the fans giving everyone else a bad name.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I missed Sheila Jackson Lee opposing Dynamo stadium. Do you mind reminding me -- or even providing a link?

3. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Providing a link? Wtf? Am I a reference catalog of the internet? Haha jk man it's 10:30 pm I would rather not go digging through old online news articles.

4. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have been more than happy with something like PHP, I like that stadium, if what you want is watching the game, PHP is great, great lines of view from every place.

What we will get is way more than I was expecting, I am more than happy, specially because it means we will have our team for maaaaaaaany years to come and because MLS is turning out to be the real deal, lots of great stadiums, many solid teams, lots of fans.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, well, ok. That is asking a bit much isn't it.

I've done a few googly searches trying to find some evidence of a SJL position on the Dynamo stadium. I didn't find anything .... if anyone has a solid memory they trust that is probably the best we can do.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's highly likely that she forced her way up on the stage by tacitly playing the race card at some point. She's like friggin' Waldo, but not just in every picture somewhere, always front and center.

SJL is a horrible congresswoman - go look at any statistics or other data showing how she assists her constituents in things like visas and social security issues. I think she handles or helps like a quarter of what a normal congressman would do - and you know her district has more folks in need of government aid than most.

And she's not a power-broker at all in Washington. She's just a race card player who uses her position to bully folks in Houston into doing what she wants, but gets nothing from the Feds. Go see how much extra Federal money she's helped bring home from her homeboy Obama - none. She's too busy trying to honor Michael Jackson.

7. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on breaking ground, the haters can't bring you down.

Can't wait to visit Houston sometime and catch a match there.

8. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Congratulations Houston. We are excited to draw on Pat's experience to help get us out of the hole we are in here in DC. Speaking of DC, sigh...yet another team's webcam and SSS progress to watch.

(Not that I have any right or reason to chime in on your thread but this should be a positive discussion, no? Love, Hate, Neutral on Congress, who cares, you are getting an SSS. Dynamo will be on the field, not Congress, enjoy it!)

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many of us went to DC for the MLS Cup, so we sympathize. Both because we've been to RFK and because so many DC fans supported us against NE. We all thought the next one would have been between DC and HD, but sadly that still hasn't happened.

Enjoy having Pat, we will miss him, and best of luck.

10. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I won't argue. However, none of those things qualifies booing her during such an event. Every boo-er in the audience sullied 5 or 10 people around them. They made all Dynamo fans look like thugs and fools, and frankly, I am not so happy about some drunk 22 year old acting that way because his drunk fool friends laughed. You made ME look bad, you made the people around us look bad, and anyone anywhere in the future who wants to watch the video from the groundbreaking will see lots of you idiots embarrassing the entire crowd.
    In 20 years when some young child wants to be inspired, and looks up online the genesis point of the greatest team ever in the MLS, wants to see the beginning of the Dynasty, the team from Houston that won 10 Cups in a row...and that kid finds a video showing being BOOING. Oh yes, how inspirational.

Good job kids.

11. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know they said construction would start immediately, so does that mean today or tomorrow, or 60-90 days? :D

12. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Member

Nov 26, 2008
    The new 60-90 days is "12-14 months". Everyone got up and gave us a different opening date!

13. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to have to be put in a position of defending a Congresswoman that I have no particular liking for - but...........I don't believe that you could find a solitary reference to support the claim that Sheila Jackson Lee has opposed the building of Dynamo Stadium.

Love here or hate her - the fact is that folks who boo'd her probably don't live in her district. The folks that do live in her district keep on re-electing her regardless of warts.

She was there because I'm positive that she was invited to be there by the Dynamo.

There were a lot of folks there who were invited by the Dynamo - it was a celebration and a political (read a** kissing) event. It's what corporations have to do, squeaky wheel etc.

I joked to the wife about the seating arrangements. The seats in front of the stage were for the folks who had never been to a game previously and probably wouldn't go to one in the future :D

14. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem Web, I still like you.

There's still hope left:D

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was also another thing that happened, after the ceremony when people were crossing the chains, I noticed a little girl crying and one really nasty drunk lady yelling obscenities at her and her mother, I don't know why or what started it, but the mother kept telling her "just get your drunk a** outta here, which she finally did. I felt so bad for the little girl and felt like doing something, but sort of thought it wasn't my business. Now I wish I would have done something....

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Granted, the feds contributed not a dime, but I haven't found anything where SJ Lee actively opposed the stadium, particularly during a campaign, like a certain grandstanding mayor (how did she get received? she's who really deserved a bronx cheer.......she's smart enough -- a Mensa -- that she surely knew the details and how little we actually sought from govts......but she made it an issue anyway). So I am wondering why Lee got booed and not others. What'd Lee do besides generally be herself and show up whereever cameras are present? (And if you showed up for the cameras at stadium rallies in 2007 as she seems to have, then maybe we can indulge a camera or two for you in 2010....).

It's the other Lee.....El Franco......who deserves booing. Not only did he hold this thing up but the "consultation" excuses used for it sound to me like the sort of gatekeeper/back-scratching crap that makes politics distasteful to me.

17. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here we go again making me defend a democrat:D

I realize that in my advanced years, I've lost a significant number of brain cells but I don't recall Annise Parker opposing the stadium either.

I know during the campaign that she vowed no taxpayer funded stadiums, and that troubled me enough to actively support Gene Locke with $$$. But during her campaign she made it a point when asked about honoring White's commitment that she would honor the agreement.

After nearly 18 months of deadlock under White's administration - she made it a priority to get the deal moving again. It is my understanding that this whole stadium deal was initially between the City and the Dynamo and there was no intent at the beginning to include the County.

White dumped the whole deal into the hands of the County in July 2008 with a one page letter [​IMG]

The reaction of the County Commissioners was understandable (kinda WTF?).

Nothing happened and around November a number of us began appearing before City Council and Commissioners Court to try to get things rolling. But the stumbling block was always White and ELFranco Lee. We were told by the County "This is Mayor Whites deal".

Annise Parker briefly told yesterday of how she reached out for ElFranco and said what do we need to do to get this deal done?

Well she did it.

I remain convinced that if Bill White had been able to run for another term - there would not have been a groundbreaking yesterday. If he honestly was totally behind the deal - we'd have been in the stadium already.

18. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    At the same time, White's governor dreams got in the way of ours as he didn't want "used city resources to fund a stadium" attached to his name.
    ---
    and Sheila Jackson Lee was never a roadblock, but at the same time, she wouldn't have stuck her neck out for it either.

19. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJL is an embarrassment to Democrats, African Americans and to Houston. She is only in it for herself. I quite enjoyed the initial boos, but the continuing abuse was too much an over the top and did get a little embarrassing.

Did anyone else hear her say that we may be playing the world cup here someday? Sweet.

Guess what, she doesnt care about the boos. She got her picture taken and her name out there and thats all she wants. Hell, she got an entire BS thread sidetracked talking about just her. Awesome.

All that aside it was an excellent event. A ton of people there. It was legit. They ran out of hard hats but the free beer lasted the entire time. Well played Dynamo.

20. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did live in her district but only got one vote...not enough to unseat her ;)

I imagine she was there largely because like it or not the stadium is being built in her district and I think that's totally appropriate. I don't see that she really needed to say anything but she does like the microphone as we all know.

21. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheila Jackson Lee did nothing to help or hinder the stadium deal in any way that I know of. Apparently, her only function in the process was staying the hell out of the way, which given her reputation as a grand stander may have been the best thing we could have hoped for. Look, from where I'm setting the only difference between her ilk and David Duke is her racial background and party affiliation. They're both self-centered, race bating scum who have no place in the civil discourse of this country. To bend this back to soccer terms, if she isn't the Carlos Ruiz of American politics, she's damn close. If that doesn't call for booing, I don't know what does.

As I've stated before, I'm proud we booed her. Booing is the most civil way of showing disrespect I can think of, and if we hope to remain a liberal democracy we should continue to be free to express disrespect for those who deserve it. If it embarrasses you that people booed, sorry, this isn't the United States of You, sometimes freedom is uncomfortable. Deal with it.[/rant]

22. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayor Parker's campaign comments about stadium funding scared the crap out of me too. Frankly, Locke didn't do much o make me feel like we were headed anyplace positive at all though.

But I will give a lot of credit to Parker for breaking the log jam and getting the ball rolling again. I didn't vote for her, but I gave her a loud cheer yesterday because frankly she's earned it. (There, I never thought I'd write that about a Democrat.:eek:)

23. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Turn your back? Walk away? Don't say a thing? Send her an e-mail showing your disdain for her decisions?

Oh, those actually involve acting like an adult.

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Kudo's for the dynamo hosting a wonderful event. I was so happy that the weather turned beautiful and the plans for the worked out well.

1) I am disappointed with the Chronicle's way of covering it today in the newspaper with only one photo buried in the back when this should have taken at least the half of the front page of the sports section.

2) Even though i don't care for SJL's political views, she was there to support and praise the effort yesterday. She came in peace and should have not been booed. If people want to protest her political views then they should have found another time and place to do so. Low class but i guess Dynamo fans are a cross section of today's society.

Despite that I was so happy to see so many excited people public and private sectors that can see how great this project will be. I ook forward to driving past evry now and then to watch the growth of the area over the next year and a half!

Dynamo for life!

25. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Super Bowl Sunday?, It will never happen, today is the day everyone is thinking about the other football, even people that don't know anything about football, even a very mediocre Rockets team didn't help that much by winning and having Aaron Brooks use his democratic right of showing his displeasure with his playing time, sometimes freedom is uncomfortable.

If the Dynamo wanted the biggest bang for their buck, this was probably the worst weekend to do it.

Personally, I'm happy that the story has been obscured on paper and on tv by the Super Bowl, the groundbreaking will not convert any haters, give more prominence to the story and the usual suspects will just keep on shouting how their tax money is paying for a stadium for illegal immigrants (it is their right to shout those things even if it is not true, freedom is sometimes uncomfortable).

This story was for us, the fans, the ones that hate soccer, the less they know, the better, the fence sitters, we will have time to make them join the force once our new stadium is ready for use.