Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Financing & Politics discussion (news, funding, economics, politics)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by taylor b, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Obese tax would be a great idea as well. How about a tax on fast food? I'm all for it.

But again, I don't think that these taxes should be the source of funds for stadiums & public development. They should be spent caring for the sick.

How about a city wide "ticket tax" of $1. No one would care about $1, but with all the events hosted by ticketmaster $1/ticket would make enough money to provide for the stadium in just a couple of years.

Then the money could go to upkeep of other stadiums/venues.

2. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

re the taxing discussion - not to pick nits ('cause I'm NEVER the type of guy to do that ;)) - doesnt it belong in the "funding" thread?

3. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somebody brought it up when describing Cleveland's potential stadium.

Please move it if it's not the place for it.

4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man if that were to happen, I'd probably finance the stadium on my own. :D

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eric Wynalda mentioned last night on the game that OL told him that the talks with the city are progressing and everything is still on track for the July 15 deadline, but there could be an extension of a week or two. So that's cool. He talked about the location "next to" Minute Maid park and how it was important to the Dynamo to have a central location, not out in the suburbs like we've seen with other MLS parks.

:cool:

6. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

I predict the decision will be made in 60-90 days.

Sorry, I was playing OL's greatest hits album and the record started to skip.

7. jamus4545

jamus4545 Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Any word on when this deal will be finalized? Can it still be done by April "09?

8. huesocolorado

huesocolorado Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt it at this point. After approval, I would say it will take probably till late summer 09 to finish, and that would be fast. I could be wrong though...

9. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1 thing I've noticed is that things in Houston get built pretty quick. You can blame it on the year-round building season. You can blame it on the abundance of cheap labor.

You can blame it on whatever you want, but if they get a deal done in the next 60 days, I could see a stadium ready at worst like Toyota Park was. Playing like 8 roadies to start and then opeing the new Dynamo Park.

10. Dynaquakes

Dynaquakes New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Monterey/Houston

Yeah it'll be summer of 09 or the beginning of the 2010 season.

11. onecrazykraca

onecrazykraca Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Houstone

#1 .....bUMP

#2.....Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't they give us til the 15th of july to make a deal? Anyone heard anything yet?

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

The current negotiation period ends July 15, they could just decide to sign another letter of intent after this one expires, so we may not find out anything more than they are still talking. But that would still tell us that there's still hope though.

13. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    C'mon guys, 60-90 days, duh!!!!

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm assuming if they don't announce anything by then and don't extend the letter then other cities can get back into the offering correct?

15. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We're ********ed. Luck says that the deadline will be extended. Stadium by 2010. We can only hope. :(

16. Jasonian

Jasonian New Member

May 8, 2006

Oliver Luck on the Dynamo Power Hour said tonight re the new stadium that, "we'd like to be in something for the 2010 season."

That's a year or so later than the timetable I've been hearing in the past.

He also said "in the end it'll all boil down to dollars and cents."

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OL also said that the Astros and Rockets won't be a problem.

He said that they're making good progress, but will probably have to extend the negotiations. Don't freak out. Negotiations are extended all the time. It's a normal thing.

Finally, he mentioned that the Mayor is engaged in the process and wants to see it happen. Given the structure of Houston city politics, that's essential.

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised at all that it's 2010 for the stadium.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I thought 2010 was pretty much a given, there was no way it would have been ready for 2009.

And I'd much rather them extend the negotiations than end them, it's a sign that progress has been made and they think they can make more.

20. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you honestly thought they were going to go from a LOI to a completed stadium in 2 years, then you've been smoking way too much crack. Nothing was said tonight that should get anyone discouraged.

21. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all great news. It's also very promising that they said 2010, and they're not going to rush on some simple stadium able to be completed in a year.

Hopefully we'll have one that stands out design-wise like DCU or RBNY's new stadiums with that location.

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    That kind of sucks, but when you stop to think about it hainvg the stadium by the start of 2009 would be a quick build and would be rushing it.

I'll take whatever delay is necessary as long as it's downtown.

24. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010 is fine with me... while it sounds like a long way off the beginning of the 2010 season isn't that much longer than 2 years away. And... I would much rather have us open up the new season in our new stadium with a whole offseason of buildup and anticipation leading up to it... than have us move into a mainly finished stadium midway through 2009 like Chicago did last year after spending the first two months of the season playing road games.

Here's my ideal dream scenario for the opening of the new stadium...

February 2010:

The MLS Cup Champion Houston Dynamo open up their defense of the newly expanded 16-team Concacaf Champions Cup tournament Saturday night at Insert Company Name Here Stadium in Downtown Houston versus Mexican Power Cruz Azul. If you want to see the Dynamo's first match in their brand new 25,000 seat soccer-specific-stadium, however, don't bother calling the Dynamo ticket offices. Tickets for Saturday's match have been sold out for weeks, so if you want to see the Dynamo open their new building you'll likely have to shell out $500 - $1,000 to one the areas' many ticket brokers. A final option for those who really want to witness the opening of Insert Company Name Here Stadium and don't mind standing and singing all game and perhaps dodging an avalanche or two is to contact either the Texian Army or El Batallon about tickets for the stadium's northend general admission terrace.

25. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rep'd. Who needs a Prophet when you have MBean?? :D