Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Financing & Politics discussion (news, funding, economics, politics)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by taylor b, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Robertson was a high school football stadium. Hasn't been since 1980.

It was also an AFL stadium.

And I don't think KC has played in high school football stadium. They were going to but they worked out a deal to continue to play at Arrowhead. Next year, who knows.

Dallas played at a high school football stadium and still managed to get an SSS.

There is very little chance of the Dynamo playing in a high school football stadium.

AEG understands what is going on here. If they have to extend the lease at Robertson because they know that a stadium is in the works but not quite ready they are not going to have any problems doing that. Do you really think they will get a stadium deal in Houston and then be upset because they have to play a few more games at Robertson?

I still don't get this belief that 2009 is a drop-dead date to be in a new stadium and anything else is some sort of failure.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

WTF? UH are the ********ing CUSA champs and there is nothing HS about that.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

It was before 1980.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's had a couple of major renovations since then, including a recent $6 million effort.

5. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It just wouldn't make sense to me to NOT play soccer in the summer.

Back on topic a little: I love MLS with my whole being and want every team to have a stadium. That being said, they shouldn't be funded with tax dollars. If the thing is going to be profitable, which was Garber's point in requiring stadium deals for new teams, then a government sponsorship is unecessary.

The incidence of this tax is ridiculous! "Hey, let's charge Mr. Smokesalot and Mrs. Social Drinker to pay for the stadium! We'll kill two birds with one stone! We can tax those terrible people with bad habits and raise money for this stadium which will bring so many jobs to our city!"

Ok, ok. There may be some benefit to the city in the form of construction jobs (temporary) and future income from the stadium. So why not use a tax on soccer tickets until the stadium is paid off? Wouldn't that make more sense? Charge the people actually using the stadium to fund it and not the drinker/smoker (who in some cases may be the same person but not all)?

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

What tax are you talking about? Or did you just decide to make that up to have something to rant about?

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with your premise, unfortunately it is the Smokers and Drinkers that make an attractive target for politicians looking to obtain funding for something. (And I am a smoker and drinker) Before this thing goes into a Smoker vs Non-Smoker debate, just imagine (pure hypothesis) if everyone did quit smoking and drinking, where would the money come from then? And if it affected everyone equally how much a public outcry would be?

8. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Cleveland article posted above. Here it is again:

http://www.the-news-leader.com/news/article/2118541

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The thread on stadium financing has some discussion of TIRZs, which is one of the funding mechanisms that's apparently come up in Houston.

10. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the link!

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Ahhh, I thought you were talking about the Houston deal. Sorry about that.

12. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, haven't heard any new news since May, and we're 2-3 weeks away from that exclusive negotiation deadline. Is that good or bad?

13. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been some tree clearing and construction preperation near my house on 249. Maybe they are keeping it a secret?

14. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, can you take some pics and post it? Is it the Astros parking lot?

15. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would come from the savings the government would reap from not paying medical bills for those with smoking/drinking related illnesses. It would also come from fewer alcohol accidents on the highways (and from DUI enforcement).

That being said, I don't think that the money should be used to finance public works. It should go to pay for what it causes.

16. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Cowpoke. The secret on 249 is that HP sold all that land around their campus to a developer who is building a big housing and retail development.

17. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh so that's what that is.

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it really means anything at this point. There's really nothing to announce until you reach the point identified in the LOI. Even after a couple more weeks, they may just announce that they're extending the terms of the LOI for a couple more weeks. The "deadline" is just a point in time identified in the LOI that the parties thought would be adequate. If other issues arise, or say someone key to the process has to take unanticipated time to deal with something else, then they can just decide take some more time. I haven't seen or heard anything to think it's a "drop dead" deadline.

19. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised we haven't heard anything positive or negative from Alexander and the Rockets yet. I thought someone in the Chronicle or news stations would have approached them and asked for an opinion. Wouldn't they be part of the negotiation process?

20. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Alexender is happy because he sold the comets to the sucker oopss sorry the Hilton guy.

21. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude don't mention the comets or Rooney'sHairline will put up that disturbing video again.

22. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You would think they could get a quote out of him one way or another.

23. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And this money would be instantly available? And what about a Food Tax for our "Obese" population that is constantly paraded to viewers on TV? Just think if the medical bill funds for that and the smoking/drinking crowd were rolled together, the money could be used for something really constructive like Veterans Health care.

Veruca, I hear what you are saying, but it is not that simple.

24. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am a smoker and I drink. Should smokers that don't go to Robertson pay an additional tax? What about the beer drinkers in North houston? We can talk all we want about public funding or special use taxes all we want. The point of this matter is, the COH has many taxes added on to hotels and car rentals already to pay for those stadiums in use here.

AEG has already committed to paying for half of the cost and it is a matter of
    getting a land donation form the city. IIRC!!???
    IMO drinkers and smokers have been punished enough for their sins. Let's pick on another group for this one time.;)

25. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about a $1 tax for every lap dance!:eek: