Dynamo Academy Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Soccergodlss, Jan 20, 2017.

1. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

Ezekiel Soto called up to USA for U-17 CONCACAF championship

DonJuego repped this.
  3. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1622982442243215360 is not a valid tweet id

Don’t know how reliable the source is but there’s so little info on this I figured I would share

4. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice play by Soto. Boy looks like he will have good size as he grows.

So ... Medina... not a good look. You totally screw up a penalty and your teammate bales you out with a good play, and you showboat celebrate pointing at yourself?? The team goes to Medina and not to Soto? Freakin kids these days .....

CeltTexan repped this.
  6. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good going Paul!
    Another home grown coming down the pipeline.
    Being from Fresno is Fort Bend County and means Elkins High School a la Stuart Holden before he ended up at Auty International High School.

8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Saw someone mention Andre Gitau on Twitter and it got me curious what happened to him. As you would imagine not much solid info but as of April it seems he’s still not at a club. There was a supposed move to Germany but it fell through.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I see no mention of Joyner Castillo.. a lot of people back home in Honduras think he'll have a promising career beyond Houston.

Time will tell I guess.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i have periodically searched for them too and yes found precisely jack sh*t. he was dropped from U17 so it's already of some consequence.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    fwiw mateo pinilla is supposedly going to UCLA.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #487 juvechelsea, Jun 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    for comparison ibeagha had the good sense to finish out his academy career before initially thumbing his nose at us, which got him U20 YNT status which gets you pro jobs for a while. he tried hard to avoid playing here but he didn't strangle the golden goose while he was at it, he just kicked it a few times so it was dazed (i mean he did end up in iceland and the USL for a while which is silly).

gitau shows up "without club" on TM which means no MLS, no USL, no domestic B teams or academies, no european first teams, reserves, or academies. (when reyna was dortmund U19 he had a TM page.). even if he went to some residency or select team you'd think it would get touted on the club website or to local press, or he'd show up on U17 occasionally just affiliated with a new team. he's gone completely under radar which is odd, particularly when you had pro buzz akready.

to be fair i had a childhood friend who achieved a high level of success in two sports but was done sophomore year in college and said he hated it. that happens. maybe his parents want college, though hype would actually make that easier to happen, eg, yale has a soccer team. GA or a salary could pay for it easily later if you save your money. though these days it might take 2-3 pro years to save enough, i mean tuitions have gone insane. but anyhow, even if the parents wanted to force college, i had good grades and test scores and soccer was still opening even more doors for me, but that works better if it's like US U17 YNT and MLS academician (or at least something known) shopping around.

and if he wants pro blowing things up over our offer is silly. go play in some dual national country. go pro USL. force a trade. serve out academy here through age 18 then go where you want. this is the proverbial samson defense, bringing the house down upon himself to try to take out his enemies.

anyhow, we'll see. has to resurface around age 18.

13. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

Xavier Valdez made his senior debut with the Dominican Republic national team in a 5-0 loss to Chile.

CeltTexan and Brian Gilchriest repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    was reading a discussion about cremaschi getting a USMNT call this coming week. commenter mentioned an arsene wenger quote about his development process -- “I take a very good young player…and I put him with older great players.”

similar to i think people want magic from our often mediocre-to-poor rosters, developing players is not magic. in miami's situation, messi and co. can mentor cremaschi. here's what to look for. here's a ball trick. here's how to shape your body for this shot or that pass. here's how i handle my down time and diet.

the dynamo used to have a good senior coach and strong roster. how much of our problem is needing quality footballers around to teach them something? that if you sign mediocrities then what do they have to teach the noobs? and it wasn't just a little mediocre, it was bad, with no or few stars.

i mean if you're stu holden or geoff cameron it might help if you can watch and talk to dero and clark and davis about how to do the job. it may come out different if the cupboard is so bare i am trying to learn from paolo or watch memo, vera, or ceren for ideas.

last point, they had roy lassiter in as U20 coach but he's left to coach an independent next pro team starting next year.

CeltTexan repped this.
  15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #490 juvechelsea, Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    brian could not have watched the highlights of the player whose debut he liked. after all i know it's DR but my first instinct when i saw, paraphrasing, "keeper debuts, team ships 5 goals," was concern and not excitement. i wanted to see how the game went because that's a little ugly a score.

goals 2, 3, and 5 are all fairly awkward keeper work. maybe he wore the wrong cleats. at times he didn't seem to move well.

to be fair, he's being thrown to the wolves against chile senior team, and i know he's young but i also know he's the same age as gaga slonina who looks a much more finished product, has already graduated from academy to fire to europe, and even a single US senior cap ruined by jalen neal's incompetence.

CeltTexan repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last position in sports, not just association football, to throw a young player out against a vastly superior opponent and let them get thrown to the wolves with a bad day as the end result is a young goalie, a young quarterback and or a young pitcher. These positions demand athleticism but a tremendous amount of mental focus. You just can't screw up once in these roles as the fallout can be insurmountable. A coach can trainwreck a promising young player in this way. To get shellacked on a debut!

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. U-17 MYNT headed to Czech Republic

The U.S. under-17 men's national team will get its first international competition since it finished second at the Concacaf U-17 Championship in February when it heads to the Vaclav Jezek Cup in the Czech Republic.

U.S. U-17 Roster:
    Goalkeepers (2):
    Adam Beaudry (Colorado Rapids academy), Zackory Campagnolo (Colorado Rapids academy).
    Defenders (6): Noahkai Banks (Augsburg U19/GER), Tyler Hall (Inter Miami FC II), Aiden Harangi (Eintracht Frankfurt U19/GER), Stuart Hawkins (Tacoma Defiance), Peyton Miller (New England Revolution), Oscar Verhoeven (San Jose Earthquakes).
    Midfielders (6): Matthew Evans (LAFC academy), Taha Habroune (Columbus Crew 2), Cruz Medina (San Jose Earthquakes), Edwyn Mendoza (San Jose Earthquakes II), Paulo Rudisill (LA Galaxy academy), Pedro Soma (UE Cornella/ESP).
    Forwards (6): Nimfasha Berchimas (Charlotte FC), Micah Burton (Austin FC academy), Brian Romero (Charlotte FC), Bryce Jamison (Orange County SC), Ruben Ramos Jr. (LA Galaxy academy), David Vasquez (Philadelphia Union academy).

No Houston

18. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    CeltTexan and DonJuego repped this.
  19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    It's easy to buy your way into the playoffs. Harder to build up.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    first off, yes, if we finessed it, raines would have his grand total of 198 mins but unless i am misreading the size-number relationship on the graph, that still doesn't get us out of the bottom 5. someone needs graphic design class, the numbers are unreadable and there are 3 lines and no intermediate indicators. but if i understand the implicit relationships, 5th place and beyond are playing their kids mid-hundreds minutes. so we move maybe one spot from tie-last.

second, in terms of trying to draw anything from this, in previous years we would have been same place on the graph but with a poor result. that isn't a clear signal of anything.

third, i think 3/5 of the most youth oriented teams would also be playoff sides, other end of the spectrum. unclear signal again. playoffs are getting cheap.

fourth, common sense, if you don't have HGP you better have something else. it's not so much a positive as a choice and a challenge. in previous years we made the choice then failed the challenge. there is no one route but you might want to have some avenue working well.

last, along those lines, if you study the graph closely, the domination recipe is neither end -- it's the middle. it's not dallas or DC trying to live off the farm. it's not our end full of mediocre veteran teams several of whom barely make the "playoffs."

it's the middle. perhaps low-middle. that's where LAFC, cincy, StL, NER, orlando, all reside. they are neither dependent on their farm system nor so scared of youth they won't sub their veteran lineup out. that to me would align with the deric years dynamo. that to me would align with the spirit of the holden/cameron team.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about our youth scene the other day. We have not heard any news from our club's academy director Paul Holecher in some time now.
    Again, everyone looking from outside in recognizes the Greater Houston Area as a very strong youth scene. And yet NYRB is placing 5 of their boys on a U.S. National Team, which is quite impressive honestly, and our club can't get just 1.

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another USYNT call-up announced with no Houston Dynamo Academy players involved:

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a US Youth team with a Dynamo player. Brooklyn Raines is with our U-20s at the Pan American Games in Chile. He is getting minutes.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup!
    I saw some promo spot and or email touting this news on Raines at the Pan-American Games. Good on him!!!