Dynamo Academy Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Soccergodlss, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You dont put teens in a hotel by themself for example. You have them stay at a current Academy players family as a guest. Thus the inductie to the club can better adjust to the new environment, have a new friend to travel to the club for training.
    You put adults in a hotel alone.
    The concept I was addressing is how a teen from a Houston area pay to play Tier 1 soccer club is shipped up to Frisco Texas and asked to live there.
    Take it easy smart guy! Jebus!

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very solid insight.
    It is always a question for any coach of when to bleed the youth off the bench, give them more clock. Or go long on the older USL types.
    Issue some would recognize with what our FO created with RGV is they have our youth but they are not a Houston II set up like other MLS teams created. So RGV appears to focus on their own way of being. Thus our youth are apparently not their main objective.

3. The1Brak

The1Brak Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Houston
  4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The record is clear on the player in question. He joined and played for the FCD Academy. He was not a trialist.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Geauxlden

Geauxlden New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 30, 2017
    I'm interested to see if it works. There were rumors that the Texans coaches may have walked out. I know the Texans team I watched this weekend was coached by a guy in full RISE gear rather than the normal Texans stuff.

7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Absolutely correct. RGVFC attempts to win games. LA 2, NYRB 2, Atlanta, RSL, etc. all use their 100% owned USL teams to primarily blood youngsters. It's one of a myriad of reasons the Dynamo Academy program has been a gigantic failure to date.

I can't fathom anyone would type that Dallas had a ten year head start with regards to its Academy. It's such a load of shit that my brain nearly explodes every single time I hear it. The Academy system in MLS started at the same time. Houston was already in the league. The 10 year head start that Dallas had was that they were a club that played soccer in America for 10 years before the Dynamo. That's it. Columbus, New England and several others had the same ten year head start. Whoopity doo. Both clubs hit the ground running when MLS started the Academy program. Houston did what Canetti did with everything. They pretended. They pretended like they wanted to develop players when truly all it really tried to do was tag as many potential prospects it could so that it could claim their rights in a few years when they graduated high school or college. Dallas committed financially to an Academy program right off the bat because they accepted that their owners were cheap and they were looking for alternative ways to compete. From number of youth teams to a residency and numerous other advantages. How does Houston not have a residency program yet?? If you want to compare the commitment of both Academies, just compare their respective webpages. No disrespect, but FC Dallas may have three times as many coaches involved. They have 3 times as many affiliates also.

I'm not saying money = results or residency = results or coaches = results or affiliates = results. I'm just saying that Houston has tried to have an Academy despite contributing less financially, being less committed through its soccer organization, and doing less over and over and over. No surprise their results are what they show for it. And that is all before you even throw in the pure lack of numbers the Houston area has had since MLS started developing players compared to other metropolitan areas (Translation - the Houston soccer scene has notoriously failed to produce the same results the Dallas soccer scene has since before Academies and even before MLS).

So even though I am as anti-Dallas as any normal person, I won't ever fault a teenager who runs for greener pastures even if they are in South Oklahoma because it's an indictment on what AEG, Brenner, Canetti, Clarkson, and Dom/others built here and not on the kid's thoughts of Houston v. Dallas or his love for his hometown Dynamo. In fact, Eric Quill spoke quite frankly about why he sent the two he had to Dallas on Glenn's show a few months back. Any person looking out for the kids best interest would have done the same thing he did every day of the week in funneling the two kids he had through Dallas.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.
    And what will the combined club be called? Leave it as Texans?

9. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Seems like the Rise name will prevail.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not have said it better. I wasn't tying to start some Dynamo internal holy war by posting the Cappis article but it showed just how far behind the Dynamo are/were and what a horrible job the club has done in this area from Canetti and Dom thru Clarkson and even Cabrera.

MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  11. Geauxlden

Geauxlden New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 30, 2017
    https://risesc.org/rise-and-texans-sc-announce-merger/

An excerpt from the release:

Although the merger takes effect immediately, the two clubs will continue to operate under their current names, RISE and Texans SC, for the balance of Spring 2019 season. Effective in the Fall 2019/2020 season, the boys program will play under the” RISE – Texans” banner in the boys Development Academy (DA) and ECNL programs. The rest of our girls and boys teams will operate under the RISE brand.

CeltTexan and DynamoManiac repped this.
  12. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    RGVFC doesn't really try and win games. Maybe they did under Cabrera during that first year where they fielded a more regular line-up, but even then they'd be shifting a lot and suddenly play a completely different XI just to try guys out. They've been bad the last three seasons and a lot of that is due to the churn on the roster and the tinkering that goes on.

Any given day you have B-team Dynamo guys show up and take spots, rehabbing Dynamo players playing 45 minutes before subbing to get match fit, and pretty constantly rotating line-ups trying to see who on the roster is worth something or who to cut.

They've got one player who is actually played all five games and they've fielded a different XI every single game this year.

Game 1: Willis, Coronado, Adams, Castellanos, Samuels, Dunwell, Martinez, Monroy, Cabrera Jr., Foster, Small

Game 2 (3 changes in bold): Corti, Duvall, Castellanos, Adams, Junqua, Martinez, Dunwell, Foster, Cabrera Jr., Monroy, Small

Game 3 (5 changes in bold): Deric, Duvall, Fuenmayor, Adams, Junqua, Rodriguez, Hernandez, Dunwell, Enriquez, Caberara Jr., Martinez

Game 4 (7 changes in bold): Nelson, Coronado, Adams, McCue, Samuels, Hernandez, Cabezas, Monroy, Martinez, Enriquez, Small

Game 5 (6 changes in bold): Deric, Samuels, Fuenmayor, K. Garcia, Junqua, Cabezas, Martinez, Foster, Enriquez, Lemoine, Salazar

A team that's trying to win or be competitive isn't going to be flipping half the starting XI every game. That's pretty clearly a side that's prioritizing Dynamo needs (rehab players, keep B team fresh, scout talent).

I do think it's a long-term problem because I don't know how long the USL affiliate wants to pay for the Dynamo to throw-out a non-competitive product.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #313 CeltTexan, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Again, good insight. I did not know that the Starting XI is overhauled each week so drastically.
    Look any coach or GM worth their salt knows that in this sport, plug n play for players does not work. The very core nature of soccer being such a defensive sport puts a high premium on unit cohesive play. A coach must field cohesive line ups of his Starting XI and when desiring to field new players, youth players or players returning from injury, the coach can drop perhaps one previous starter to make way for the shift in his line up. In this way his team knows what the player next to them will do, when the man next to him will make a run, show for the ball, play a wall pass, likes to have the ball on a specific left or right foot and on defense how to step as a backline in cohesion. To the new man introduced to the line up there is also the service to his call up in that a coach or GM or in minor league ball the head coach watching on tape, one can get a better read outta the new starter for the very reason he is surrounded by players that are on the same page, so can he get on that page? This is step 1. Then can he improve upon the team's play is step 2. Finally, can he transition this play up to MLS.
    All these various line ups is a wash on player development.

14. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Despite excuses for wholesale player changes - If RGV won the game it would be because of the B team Dynamo players but they didn't so they must be the reason for the tie. I know it's frustrating for RGV fans to have players come and go.

Just not enough game changers in the roster. Seems like the team is too fragile to hold a lead and not dangerous enough on offense to score multiple goals to cover for the defense (when Dynamo players aren't there).

*rey* repped this.
  15. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I wasn't impressed with Echeverry's resume when they hired him but I have warmed up to him somewhat. Not sure how responsible he is to the lack of the team's success.

*rey* repped this.
  16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    look i get this, but c'mon now. even under these circumstances you should be able to LUCK into a point here or there. perhaps coaching?

17. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Most of the Dynamo players getting sent down to RGVFC are the bottom of the rung MLS roster guys. Kevin Garcia, Junqua and McCue might as well be USL players. Duvall is a fringe guy who seems to be on the tail-end of his career. Maybe Fuenmayor is above the level.

The only one I'd say who is clearly a cut above that has seen time with the USL squad is Cabezas and he has been down there on rehab duty which means he is taking things slow. His second game was more involved, but the first game more or less featured him lightly jogging for 45 minutes before being subbed off.

18. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They're not a good team, but Echeverry has limited control on roster and I'm not sure on tactics. It's pretty clear that he's mandated to:

1.) Play Dynamo B team guys regardless of team cohesion

2.) Play rehabbing Dynamo players and burn a sub on them at half. These guys also often look like they'

3.) Rotate the XI constantly and act more as a player combine than an established team.

They're hurt in part because USL quality is getting better and they're running up against non-II teams who have established rosters full of older players, the best of whom are fringe MLS level guys and who consistently play the same line-up day in and day out. They also don't have the talent via the academy or good drafting to outperform like some of the better II teams.

newtex mentions this in the USL thread, but last year RGVFC improved as time went on. They kicked the shit out of Santos in a friendly in May and that seemed to galvanize them. Hilarious game by the way because it was streamed on Facebook and there were a ton of horrified fans in Torreón who didn't seem to get that the Santos team playing that game wasn't the same team that had just won the Clausura.

Any case I expect they'll get better as time goes on because they'll start weeding out the guys who are bad enough that they don't justify any time in the rotation. Once that happens they'll get a more consistent XI and results should start to improve. Still would be shocked if they sniff the playoffs though.

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    look i get this, but c'mon now. even under these circumstances you should be able to LUCK into a point here or there.

20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or alternatively that small mound on the undeveloped land outside the training facility where Dom deposited Brian Salazar.

21. CoachE

CoachE New Member

FC BARCELONA
    United States
    Apr 13, 2019
    Can anyone recommend a club for my son to join in the fall? We currently live in Louisiana but we will be moving to Houston this summer. He’s a very good player and enjoys playing. Thanks!

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Depends on where you are going to live (which in as sprawled out should be driven by where you are going to work). You don't really want to be driving an hour each way to practice three times a week.

23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Texans/Rise if thats possibly

24. CoachE

CoachE New Member

FC BARCELONA
    United States
    Apr 13, 2019
    I will move to whichever part of town has the best club for my son. Would really appreciate any insight you may have. I found a club called Texans soccer club. Waiting to hear back from them .

25. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't know how well you know Houston, but I'd really recommend picking where you live based on where you are going to work unless you like 90 minute commutes.

Texans is quite good, but if you look further up here they are merging with Rise and I've heard their technical staff has bolted (their technical direct is definitely gone as he joined FC Dallas). I'm intimately familiar with Rise, which has become a megaclub after consuming Space City FC and Eclipse. They've improved quite a bit, but I still consider them to be pretty mediocre to be honest. If you live inside the city in the southwest neighborhoods, though, you don't really have much choice.

At this stage with Texans in question, I'd lean towards Albion being the best club for boys. Rush is probably up there, maybe Houstonians as well.