Dynamo 2022 Attendance & Fan Experience Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been a few years since I posted anything related to attendance due to Covid and also so many have blocked who knows how many will see what I say anyways!!!! With that a few thoughts thus far:

1) Dynamo "announced" attendance average - 15,532 thru 5 home games. High of 18,561 for opener and low of 13,028 for Vancouver. The numbers appear somewhat enhanced if not fabricated. Prior capacity was about 22k - even with taking out the south end zone seats for the sports deck and any other capacity reductions from safe standing its still ~ 20,000 seats. There's no way based on visuals that these attendance numbers are close to accurate, probably off by 15-20% or more. There is no way the stadium was 60% full yesterday.

2) I don't think COVID is having any impact other than folks habits changing and not going to things. Season ticket sales I am sure were impacted but the overall 8 years of crudiness has a bigger impact. But this team is clawing out results. The HH impact to me is a real question mark, does the Mexican Fan Yeti exist?

3) Parking cost - i saw a facebook comment that said parking was $40, I can't believe that is true since it was $20 for the opener. I do wonder if they opened more than 1 entrance to the minute maid lots after game 1.

4) Seen mixed reviews on club seats and sports deck with all inclusive food and drink. Curious what folks think of those areas.

5) Someone on reddit was really crapping on the Seatz ordering app. Seems par for the course, the concessions area has really never been good at the new stadium whenever you get a moderate sized crowd.

6) Tickets are too expensive for the product - its no coincidence that the highest announced attendance after the opener was the 713 game vs. Colorado (17k). And that was still during spring break, Rodeo, etc.

I couldn't go yesterday but was looking at tickets available and it seems like the Dynamo on SeatGeek are restricting the ability to buy seats in certain areas. TV shots show sections with little or no folks in them but you can't buy the empty seats and there is no way they are sold and no-showed. It's like they use an algorithm or formula to restrict the appearance of available seats to keep pricing up on others and "force" you to look at more expensive seats.

The Dynamo product in that stadium for most seats is not a $40+ ticket. The fees don't help but aren't crazy. Now the STH dumping seats can price them a bit lower but those listings sometime vanish quickly.

CeltTexan, Dynamo_Forever and Danwoods repped this.
  2. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side, USFL opening day attendance makes Dynamo attendance look good.

CeltTexan repped this.
  3. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1. I feel like they’re being less egregious with announced. I feel like in previous years the crowd they had this weekend would be announced 16k. But still attendance is always going to be tickets distributed so I’m not going to pay too much mind.

2. I think it’s equal parts chasing the El Tri fanbase and just showing people there’s different ambition from the top now. Attendance usually lags results quite a bit. I feel like you could have gotten cheap tickets to the 2015 Astros well into July before the sports fans here finally signed off that the team was for real. I think if the Dynamo are in a playoff position when HH arrives it will be huge.

3. I saw that too, I’m curious how that happens because as far as I know the Astros still own that lot but don’t know how much that extends into pricing.

4. heard similar stories as well.

5. I don’t see this changing much. Segal doesn’t seem like the type of guy (right or wrong) to shave some money off admission to boost up attendance.

as for seatgeek I’m seeing what you’re saying a bit. I think I can explain 239-240 as that seems to be where they put away fans now, so those areas you obviously don’t want going to the gen pop unless you know a team isn’t bringing a group. For 210ish area that might be where they want to put group ticket sales but that’s purely a guess.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    first off reported attendance was in the 13s so if they announced the 15s overall season average that's misleading and distorted by the other games that saw more people. it was slightly over half a house on "sold" before we discount for no shows.

i tend to watch from home so i cannot comment on a lot of the in-stadium stuff, but generally speaking, the announced attendance is tickets sold and thus not made up. HOWEVER, with a significant disparity from opener to now the average attendance is going to settle downwards over time.

they have pressed a lot of the buttons they intend to press this season so any uptick is going to be either lagging fan return if the improvement holds, which might be months or even future seasons, or whatever response there is to HH arriving for real. i think some fans may respond to him but let's be real, we signed a rico style mid pest and not some great scorer. if we get an uptick it will be "i want to see a (generic) MX NT player" not like we signed beckham.

if there is a disparity between announced and showed that to me also speaks to the appeal of the product. if fans are energized then they take up the corporation on the seats or boxes they have, or they use the seats they bought. if they are bleh then you have people and businesses buying stuff they don't use, which to me is a sign of excitement.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #5 juvechelsea, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    i think it's important they not get too back-patting about spending vs results. spending was always a proxy explanation for results. we are starved for results. if they stand pat and this tails off later on, the attendance won't improve over the whole.

personally i am concerned that the "we've done our shopping" type comments suggest a continued degree of roster passivity. like we are just going to carry a bunch of people through season end. valentin, ceren, junqua, etc. i also think buying coco is stupid not just as soccer but as keeping the results and fan momentum going. the team remains average at best, and not only does that need a push to get better concrete table and postseason results, i think you're gonna need to get this above average to get an energized fan response. what is the value of a mediocre fan favorite on an average team struggling to get fans excited. kind of "bruin and barnes" to me. i would have signed someone new to keep the momentum going.

and i know in the easy games he and quintero are responsible for a lot of offense, but not so much in the tough ones. i saw a lot of midfield giveaways.

for that matter, i would be starting to look at my ferreira options.

i mean, be real, sounds like that may be settled, "this is the team," but if we're passive i expect a delayed passive fan response at the level of excitement our table spot reflects. which is better but not old dynamo and not world series.

6. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Realistically I think attendance this year should average out to high 14 - low 15 range. That would still be better than last year even excluding the social distancing games. No one in their right mind would expect “old dynamo” or “World Series” this year. Even in my example that Astros team crashed out in the ALDS. But it was a perfect proof of concept to the fanbase that things were changing for the better.

I’m not worried about a finished product concern. It’s a salary cap league and the money is probably stuck in place for this year already. It is what it is. If the team finishes 8th then you have no problem going back to Segal for more money because clearly the system is working. I’m pretty sure both Pat and Asher have been asked “at what point would you be satisfied with the team you have” in terms of broad roster construction and both have said “never”.

7. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    what makes me mad is the deck. before when anyone could go it was fun to hang and watch the game with bar access got crazy on there before covid..Now to make some extra bucks they turned into a museum.

Also, is there still a bar in the tunnel area?

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Which deck are you talking about? As for the bar yes but it appears to be for large group rentals.

9. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional

Deck right above the tunnel. The bar just off the tunnel is still there ? not the front patio area

10. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I think I know the bar you’re talking about. It should still be there

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reported attendance figures from AEG era was always sugar coated. Now, perhaps some fluff to appear good numbers of crowds as a new owner is in charge. Let's track this all season.

North End Supporters Section has been fuller than past seasons recently. Very fun, reminds me of The Rob days with the fun returned to our expectations of Houston Dynamo game day life and passion.

12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    It is truly baffling how bad the concession lines are. Again, I think they need to simplify the menu. Like when they had the Chic-Fila vendor, quick and easy. Actually, just let chic-Fila run the whole show, they are masters of efficiency. I am happy with the value I get for the seats that I am in. I wanted to move to the sports deck but the costs was just not worth it.

Here are some cheap ideas.
    1. Put some damn small tables around the concourse so I can put my food and beer down to eat. I am a person, I only have two arms. How hard could this be?
    2. The bar is useless, it takes way too long to get a drink, turn that into a table area.
    3. Let people move down, this would make it look better on T.V and reward folks who actually showed up.
    4. I know this is expensive but build a pedestrian bridge from the stadium to the parking lot.
    5. Bring back streamers!!! Everyone loves them, especially the kids.

*rey* repped this.
  13. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1. I think the argument against that is just people taking food back to their seats. But to give you credit that could actually be a cheap idea to drive up concession demand and get people in earlier.

2. never used it so don’t have a position.

3. I don’t know how to express the economics of it properly but that just seems like a bad idea.

4. this is honestly a really good idea and probably could end up saving some money in the long run from renting out traffic cops. The only thing is you have to account for metro rail cables and maybe make sure you’re not running afoul of ADA compliance in the setup you have.

5. these are already making a comeback in the supporters section. Just have to make sure they’re thrown at the end of the game only.

14. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I know they throw them at the end of the game but we use to do it from all sections after every goal, was fun.

Not sure why the economics would be impacted, the Mavs used to do it all the time when they sucked and nobody came to the games. I personally wouldn't move unless I had my kids with me. If nobody is going to sit down there, why not let people come down?

15. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting in line at El Taqueria concession location for tacos and a draft beer (specifically Modelo Especial) for 10 minutes and then I was told they weren't serving draft beer despite the fact that they had 5 beer tap handles lined up.

Went over to Pitch Pub concession location which had 5 tap handles, including Modelo, and stacks of cups next to each tap handle. Nearly 10 minutes wait for the 4 customers ahead of me to get processed. Wondering why the heck it was taking so long to order a beer with very little concessions options at this 'pub' I even asked the person in front of me "Is it me or is this taking way too long?" which he agreed it did. I joked to him that he better have his beer selection already figured out when he got to the front of the line. We discovered the problem was that they only had 2 of the 5 taps with any beer and folks were having to choose different brands and/or canned beers in different sizes. I asked the concessions staff why they had cups set out ready in front of beer taps and why they didn't just put an upside down cup on the tap handles that didn't have any beer (ie the international sign of beer out) so that future customers wouldn't waste their time in line like me until they got up to the front. I was met with a blank stare and comment that they couldn't do that.

I get that many concession staff are itinerate and some are working on behalf of a charity, but WTF the professional concessions management team certainly were doing Dynamo customers any favors by having beer taps advertised as available but with no beer, or not telling/letting staff put a cup on a tapped keg handle.

And don't get me started on $40 for a parking spot.

Westside Cosmo, Dynamo_Forever and Ethos repped this.
  16. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    LOL, the saga of the unobtainable Modelo!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #17 juvechelsea, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    i was trying to make the point the other day that with a renewed but still fairly average team, setting aside the soccer imperatives -- we aren't first, so maybe don't settle -- that fanwise you want to keep the momentum rolling. you have frittered away the old success and intangible goodwill. you have the astros in a more competitive place now. all due respect to "no one expects a world series," but astros fans can. all due respect to "no one expects old dynamo," but until you get an approximation of that, or at least a few years running of something like the level of 2017 minimum, where do you see enthusiasm coming from? from we're finally trying? 1-2 thousand fans, max, for signing HH and acting like you give a sh*t, which in pro sports is basic competence. you know, you pay a competitive payroll and provide a product worth watching. you want energized it needs to be even better than that.

i think they screwed up on coco both for soccer reasons and because in terms of what you can present the fans, you missed the chance for this summer to be an even more enthusiastic "HH plus _________." "wow, they are continuing to go all out." it would also make the team better which long term is what houston fans respond to anyway.

this sets up as a longer slog to fan interest, and it's ironic because right now this is built around a 34 y/o converted wing we benched last season. which is not a long term concept. that and the whole improvised system and misfit signings suggests a lack of overall concept and a desperate play to just make the playoffs. what they miss is the slapped together 2017 team could have made the same arguments. and was worth anything for 2 years. really 1 in league but count the USOC year to be fair. the problem with short term cynical is about when the fans see the success you pull the rug with the old players you used and start over and it sucks again.

year 1 of which was the beginning of the attendance drop btw. look at the attendance records, the last year we made the playoffs is when the attendance started really dropping. why? the astros were competitive, and a few consecutive years of frustration, and that failure making it hard to trust results are sustainable and the team is trying. even when the meter is objectively ticking up.

if you don't sign cristiano ronaldo don't expect the fans to buy ST immediately in droves. an annoying gnat MX NT player is not a massive ticket sellet. it will be a lagging response to fans seeing the practical results of the more modest version of trying we are doing. and if the response is going to be slow and lagging you IMO should be keeping up the momentum with regular player movement. we are selling and trading away the scrubs. we are bringing in and promoting players you will like. not we are passively waiting out contracts. not we hope what we did in the winter is enough. not maybe next year for the HD2 kids who are getting results and goals.

for soccer purposes because not finished not champion. for fan purposes because if not champion you need to be selling this was not just a one time splurge to cynically get me to the park. like we are committed, and accountable. and while yes a championship this year is unlikely, it is impossible if the momentum just stops. most fans grasp that difference. the old kinnear teams would keep tinkering and the team would improve across the season.

18. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Are you referring to the lots between Chartres and Bastrop, Congress and Texas? It's a novel idea, but no way that happens.

1) Astros-owned since the McClane era, the Dynamo have a unique quasi-lease-like agreement only. My understanding (@Westside Cosmo may be more knowledgeable) is the Dynamo get to use them when no Astros conflict is present, and they get only a small cut of earnings. A tenant will not foot a massive infrastructure improvement like that.

2) Two of the lots are set to be lost if the I-45 realignment occurs. Crane already has an agreement in place to sell those lots to TxDOT, he's said as such. So no way he's investing there. Lofts At The Ballpark and a few strip centers on the west side of Saint Emmanuel have already sold to TxDOT.

3) If the I-45 realignment project goes forward, dropping the now-elevated highway below grade, Crane has stated publicly he intends to turn all remaining Astros-owned lots in downtown and the East End into a mixed-use development. Those include interviews with the Chronicle and presentations with EaDo, Second Ward, and Eastwood/Lawndale TIRZ meetings. The EaDo TIRZ has publicly backed his plans (obviously, it will get more revenues to utilize for projects).

Here's Crane's commentary on the overall topic after buying the one-acre tract of buildings which contained Jackson Street BBQ: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...Crane-expansion-Minute-Maid-Park-16596664.php

BBQ restaurant owner said the buildings will be razed for parking in the short term, so Dynamo may get more parking for a set time. But long term, parking will diminish unless the Dynamo acquire its own lots.

Ethos repped this.
  19. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Good info, thanks!

20. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    One of the big-but-not-discussed aspects of the Brenner-De La Hoya tight pursestrings era is not acquiring property for a parking garage loosely discussed by Oliver Luck back during the stadium push.

Land prices in the near East End (EaDo, Eastwood) have skyrocketed in the last eight years (https://www.chron.com/business/real...sting-signals-change-in-Eastwood-14939171.php). Had they moved on Luck's idea a decade ago when the near East End was less desirable and tracts were plentiful, they would have gotten land for many magnitudes of money less and been able to keep all parking revenues.

The Brenner era was known for on-the-field struggles, but it also whiffed big on future development prospects. Odd considering real estate is a big part of his portfolio.

*rey* repped this.
  21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #21 juvechelsea, Apr 20, 2022
    i remember when the east side stadium was originally discussed there was talk we would develop some blocks around the stadium, but i assume the inability to get much government funding turned this into a happy-to-have-a-stadium effort.

i feel like we are getting out-maneuvered, rockets on that exclusivity issue and now the astros want to build our side of the freeway. among other things one reason for segal to buy us is to work on the area around it.

far as i am concerned if you had a risk appetite what you do is get there first while everyone else farts around waiting to see if they ever do the freeway stuff like planned. what's the worst outcome, they buy you out on eminent domain? so, get there first, buy the land. if you build, don't make it a decade project.

the parking stuff if one builds an urban stadium they should have thought ahead about. would be particularly dense to talk brave about developing the area, not do it, and then the astros come in and put in, say, multistory parking garages, which they then use as a revenue stream from our fans. sorry but i would find the money even if we had to pay most of the stadium cost. that suggests they are seeing a business opportunity, from our fans (and theirs) that we're not bright or loaded enough to do.

22. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Well it has to get solved, this city does not have adequate public transport so parking is going to be needed.

23. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #23 nate19, Apr 20, 2022
    I highly doubt you'll see the Segal-led regime buy property now, so I suggest looking at other options come 2023-2025, assuming the project is green-lit. the Astros lots will go and the demand for inner loop real estate is such that developers have begun buying the private lots and once-abandoned warehouses from their respective owners, so parking will continue to dwindle.

An old warehouse on Hutchins near the stadium went for well over $1 million two weeks ago. Fertitta has been spotted scoping out the old Olshan Lumber Property just opposite Harrisburg from the stadium. He's hinted at a new practice facility/Rockets mixed-use, too. A 12-acre tract, it is likely big enough to support it.

Everyone's perception of far is different, but assuming you're comfortable walking three blocks or less (three blocks is the distance to the stadium from one of the Astros lots, so those who park there are already doing it), there's ample free street parking in EaDo and Second Ward.

CoH ordinances state the city can't meter in front of residential property, so you're generally safe from citation curbside parking in front of one of the many townhouses right by the stadium.

Westside Cosmo and Ethos repped this.
  24. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #24 nate19, Apr 20, 2022
    If the realignment project is not given the go-ahead by the FHWA, you'll likely get to continue parking in the Astros lots.

That being said, the parking issues you write of could have been resolved easily by the Brenner regime. It's a shame he didn't take advantage back when land in EaDo was $50 per sq/ft. Now it's in the $200s to $300s.

But alas, we know now Brenner was never in it for the long haul, so parking was not a concern for him.

Ethos repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've goosed the numbers forever, got really bad when Super Sales Guy was in charge about 5 years ago. The pictures don't lie.

There is someone with the club (not sure who) that probably looks at the tickets distributed and adds a fudge factor to it and that is what ends up in the box score. What they report the lead is a different figure that is probably subject to audit, unlike the box score.