Dyer denies 'rape' involvement

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by TheBee, Oct 10, 2003.

1. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Recently there has been much press coverage as to my supposed involvement in an alleged incident at the Grosvenor House Hotel on the weekend of 26/27 September.

Despite intense pressure, I have respectfully maintained a dignified silence whilst the police have been undertaking their initial investigations.

I now feel it is appropriate for me to set the record straight and put an end to the massive speculation.

Contrary to much of what has been reported, the facts are as follows:

After playing our match against Arsenal on the night of 26 September, I went to the Grosvenor House Hotel. I checked in together with several other people and totally unbeknownst to me, the hotel entered the other people's rooms under my name.

I checked into the hotel at approximately 2300 BST. One of my representatives and a friend met me at the hotel shortly thereafter and we left together at approximately 2330BST.
    We went to Sketch on Conduit St in W1 and the three of us remained there until it closed, leaving at about 0220BST.

A photograph of me leaving the club has already been published.

My friend and I were dropped back at the hotel and went directly to our room alone, where we stayed until late the next morning.

The following day we left the hotel for lunch completely unaware of anything having happened.

Unfortunately, the fact that my name was mistakenly attached to someone else's room has provoked wild speculation.

Furthermore, I was appalled by a supposedly "blurred" photograph of me that appeared during a storm of publicity which had suggested that I was at the centre of the criminal investigation.

I was obviously identifiable generally and also from the photograph, as has been proved by the vast amount of e-mail, chat room/website and references elsewhere to my alleged involvement, as well as comments made to me by many people.

This whole matter has been very distressing for me.

To make matters worse, my family and friends have been hounded, and my reputation has been damaged in the most public way possible.

Until now I have felt trapped and it has been very frustrating that I have been unable to clarify publicly the facts which clearly exonerate me, whilst the police conduct their enquiries.

Additionally, amidst the volume of press coverage there have been many inaccurate and defamatory reports published, which has been massively hurtful.

I will now make clear a number of points:

I have not been fined by Newcastle United Football Club nor reprimanded by its management, directors or chairman

My team mates are fully aware that I had nothing to do with this and reports of them launching personal attacks on me are categorically untrue

I had no involvement in this matter, let alone being "at the centre of it" as suggested in e-mails, websites and elsewhere.

I am aware that this has been clarified for the authorities by witnesses.

I have, from the very beginning, had a number of witnesses who can and have corroborated my whereabouts which prove I had no involvement in the alleged events.

I recognise that the claims being made by the woman involved are of the most serious nature, and warrant a thorough investigation, that is without doubt.

I do not wish to trivialise these serious allegations.

It is for this reason that I have not stated my position until now.

I am grateful now to be given this opportunity to set the record straight.

I wish to thank my family, team mates, management and legal team for their support.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So you're Kieron Dyer?

3. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Of course. And I have a big match tomorrow and have to go to bed now.

4. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Maybe Kieron should take a close look at the people whose company he keeps - and be a little more aware of hotels booking rooms in his name...

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Why would a top-flight hotel check in people under Dyer's name and Dyer not know?

In my experience, the only way a person can have multiple people check in under his name is if it had been set up by the person.

Besides, based on the Defamation laws, didn't the tabloids have to be a little more careful on what they printed?