News: Dwight Burgess stepping down as Crew PBP

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Jan 27, 2020.

1. AC30

AC30 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doran is terrible, probably even worse than Sika, but who the TV and radio announcers are is really way down the list on things I worry about with the team.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume it's related to the Fox Sports Ohio broadcast deal. FSO is based in Cleveland, and presumably has its primary studio set-up there.

FWIW, both our local Fox affiliate (WTTE) and FSO are owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group, though FSO is actually also owned by a company called Entertainment Studios. So, yeah, you'd think Crew broadcasts could be handled locally. But then again, what the hell do I know about sports broadcasts? And despite shared ownership, maybe it's not so simple to use a local Fox channel for FSO broadcasting.

Anyway, I await the day when we actually send broadcasters to away games. That was never an option for Dwight, who had other commitments during the week. It was also never a priority for the club. Maybe that'll change now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

3. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't intend to start the Crew broadcast haters thread, but here we are.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how media works these days, with consolidations, I expect to see a time where the away broadcasts are just done by the home team--or a neutral league broadcast office.

I'm thinking we're going to see more and more of this in print media too. Didn't the Dayton paper get rid of their Reds beat writer not long ago??

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every pbp match thread from last year.

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A production that reflects 2020 standards.

1. consistently functioning microphones
    2. competent direction: fewer close ups, wider angles, better replays
    3. on location commentary

I watched a decent amount of other team's broadcasts via ESPN+ the last couple years. I tried to watch our opponent's previous game each week. Our production was bottom of the barrel.

This organization has done so much to drive away the casual sports fan over their 25 year existence. It's maddening to those of us that make up the die-hard fan base.

If Dee brings anything to the table it's an eye for what looks good on TV and what it takes to make that happen. I'm hopeful she makes a big impact there.

Draghignazzo, ZipSix, Crew96Fan and 4 others repped this.
  7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. Feels like the broadcast is runs by interns.

Draghignazzo, ZipSix and Crew96Fan repped this.
  8. CrewDuff

CrewDuff Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Eastgate
    Probably not realistic, but I'd love to see Katie Witham get a shot at the booth.

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't really understand is how this all works in a system where, unless I'm mistaken, MLS is responsible for the primary video feed for all broadcasts.

10. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impossible to find a fan base where everyone enjoys the PBP and Color commentators. No matter if it's Crew or national televised games of any sport. To me Neil and Dwight were both fine covering games for the Crew although their

Being a Reds fan I was surprised with the amount of people that don't like Thom Brennaman and I've never understood the hatred of Joe Buck for both baseball and football games.

11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think each team is responsible for their own production and that is required by the league. I think our local production is handled by a local company. I can picture their semi truck outside the stadium but can't come up with the name of it. My guess is they provide the direction, cameras, production staff.

Based on the appearance, I'd say they are still using first generation HD cameras, a few generations past green screen tech and a generic director who doesn't watch much high quality soccer broadcasting. All that contributes to the bad product that get's sent to MLS and put out to ESPN+ and our local broadcaster.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People who can't stand Gus Johnson on NCAA football and basketball are a very small minority of fans.

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't hate Gus but he can be pretty cringy at times.

14. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the early years of MLS there was no way to get TV coverage of games which were neither your local team nor the national TV game, and I used to listen to radio broadcasts online. Dwight was the best. And by that I mean the best English-language radio soccer announcer on this side of the Atlantic.

Kryptonite and the_rickler repped this.
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The truck says Lyon on the side. This is their site:

https://www.lyonvideo.com/

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it's the constant yelling. He has this annoying tendency to treat a sack for a loss of three yards the same way as a 40-yd run.

17. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thom Brennaman doesn't really seem to understand or even like the game of baseball, and likes to harp on things for innings on end. There are quite a few times when I've wondered if Chris Welsh was ready to choke him out.

18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had to bring up Welsh. I can only take so much of him. He has great insight but could make the most exciting play seem like the most boring play. He has no enthusiasm.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been kinda hard to have much enthusiasm for the Reds these days, once you get past Opening Day.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s going to be different this year. Finally spending some money.

22. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd be happy with Ale or a return for Duncan. I'd be miserable if they went with some needlessly British guy, a la SKC or Seattle. Surely they wouldn't sink that low, right?

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the 'British guys' tend to be play-by-play guys, right? At least in this most recent configuration, Burgess has been the analyst. That's often a former player or coach.

Dunc seems an obvious contender. And it doesn't look as though his Soccer & Beer tv gig keeps him all that busy:

DAFCrew repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Sirk have an official affiliation with Crew again?