Dutch translation needed...David Johnson news

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by panicfc, Nov 2, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Don't know if this is good enough, used worldlingo.com

3. socroo1234

socroo1234 New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    what is ''Jonge'' ? i thought that was reserve team isnt it? im not 100% sure,

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means young, which in most cases is the reserves with a couple of vets.

Who is Lord Peat?

5. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    hahaha...lord peat....priceless!

You see that Rutger? You're supporting "SC Lord Peat" :D

sounds more like a match report from a medieval tournament: William II defeated by Lord Peat in a game of joust! hahaha :D

6. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    The "Young" Team usually has inexperienced players, or veterans who are recovering from an injury and trying to regain their match fitness.

It's not necessarily the Youth team, but more of the B Side of the squad with a lot of younger players.

As for "Lord Peat", I mentioned I got this straight from worldlingo.com It tried to translate the world verloren, which means "lost".

Bit of a machine mess-up there.

7. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Not really, 'heer' means 'lord' and 'veen' is 'peat.' They used to use peat like coal, cut and remove it from the ground and burn it for heat. Heerenveen means something like 'the lord's peat.' Whether that's God's peat or an earthly lord, I don't know.

8. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    aaaah.. yeah.. shows how rusty my dutch has become

9. socroo1234

socroo1234 New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    is dutch and german the same language? i have heard different stories to that question, does anyone know?

10. Duniyadnd

Duniyadnd New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    not the same language, but the same structure apparently.

11. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm surprised Rutger hasn't responded to this yet, he must be calculating a very clever response.

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not the same language. Has some similarities and indeed uses a lot of the same structures. Some words are alike, most aren't. The Dutch word for sea sounds almost exactly the same as the german word for lake. And the Dutch word for lake sounds almost exactly like the german word for sea. Weird stuff.

But overall it doesn't really sound that much the same. Certain dialects sometimes sound like German.

And there's also a german dialect that sounds a lot more like Dutch. Niederdeutsch or something.

13. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    indeed....especially the dutch dialects from the east resemble some german dialects from regions along our border....it's a saxon thing i guess....

the "nederduytsch", as AFCA mentioned, was a form of dialect spoken both in north and east Holland as well in Northern Germany east of the Weser.

14. bubbaloo

bubbaloo New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Just to confuse things slightly, Heerenveen is in the province of Friesland so "Lord Peat" may not be an accurate translation of the name. The Friesian language is not understood in the rest of the Netherlands so a translator may be in error giving Heerenveen a netherlands meaning(lord peat) when it's actually a Friesian word. Then again it may mean just that.

15. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Heerenveen is the dutch name....so "lord's peat" is a correct translation...
    The frisian name is "It Hearrenfean"...(god, i can't believe I'm writing this :( )

16. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    Seeing White Green Pride losing his pride is satisfying enough :D

17. bubbaloo

bubbaloo New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    thanks for the linguistic correction, sorry if I caused you such discomfort doing so

18. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    huh? me, losing my pride?....eeehm.....I'm just making fun of of some online translator...

19. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    heh heh no discomfort at all..... the smilie was concerning my abilty to read and write frisian...I really shouldn't know all that stuff :D

20. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    If typing Frisian isnt a lose of face for a Grun, I dont know what. Are you sure you have any pride at all ;)