Dutch rivalries

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by AFCA, Jun 6, 2003.

1. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Telstar - AZ

Kinda weird. In a match between these two teams an AZ player hurt a Telstar player so badly it meant the end of his career. I don't know if there was a real (local) rivalry before that... if there was it got bigger :D

Anyway, there was a lot to do about the Telstar - AZ cupmatch last season as the AZ player was still at AZ and crowd trouble was feared after several threats from both sides. In the end AZ decided not to field the player. Nothing happened.

Spakenburg - IJsselmeervogels

Amateur derby in the small fishing town of Spakenburg. Always something going on.

2. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    That match was really ridiculous. We were with 250 fans (no more because the away stands only holds 250!!!!!!). We had to go by bus and there were almost more policeman than AZ-fans!!!!!
    Also Telstar-fans only could buy a ticket if they live under a certain line. Telstar fans who had a season-ticket for years but live in Alkmaar or further north couldn't get a ticket!!!

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another great thread in the Netherlands board.

On my trip to Netherlands in 2000 I remember seeing the train tubes. This was to allow the fans of the visiting teams the chance of entering the stadium without having crap thrown at them.

By crap I mean: bottles, fireworks, food, etc.

Also I toured the Bunnik Side at Utrecht's Galgenwaard - saw the turret with the long spikes, the chicken wire fence and the plexiglass to keep the fans from getting to each other.

I asked my friend "Why not just put the fans in another part of the stadium?"

The response "That's the best part of the fun"

4. dmid

dmid New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    washington, dc
    I was at a game at Galgenwaard last year, and there was a giant net over the away supporters section. Do they have that at more stadiums? Wouldn't it get really annoying watching the game through a net?

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galgenwaard also has the spiked turret, the fence, the metal blocks, etc to keep the Bunnik Side from throwing hot coins, fireworks, and generally wreaking havoc on the visitors.

6. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    There is also a net in the away-sections at PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord. That's because there are stands for the home fans beneath the away stands. At Utrecht it was only installed last year after the riots at the game versus Legia Warsaw.

And yes, sometimes it's really annoying watching trough these nets, allthough it depends on the sort of net how annoying it is.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Which club do you all reckon is the most hated in Holland, apart from the obvious big three?

I think it's Fietstas personally, nobody likes them.

8. ADO Den Haag

ADO Den Haag Member

Sep 17, 2003
    To properly hate, you need to have some respect... and with all due respect, Vitesse with its windbag supporters and reverence to that Aalbers clown are a laughing stock. Barely noteworthy enough to be ridiculed. When you can be bothered...

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    True, hate probably isn't the right word to use in association with Fietstas.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of what protective gear to wear to the Groningen game this Sunday.

10. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What? Afraid you'll get a seat thrown in your face by a fellow Twente supporter? In that case I recommend a helmet.... :p

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Hehehe. Seriously, you'll probably beat us so congratulations. We're fielding another youth team and the cup's all we care about these days anyway. Still, expect a barrage of creative insults on Sunday.

12. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't throw in the towel just yet.....our form is nothing short of crap lately....

creative? that means no pig jokes :eek: .....I hope we'll have an answer for the inflatable pig from last game, but i doubt it. For some reason there is less anticipation for this episode of FCG-FCT than other years. People are busy worrying about our crap squad and our even crappier technical management...

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    A strawberry flavoured, ribbled and white with green bubbles lubber for ladies! Although flavour and green spots might be a bit over the top then.