Dutch Clubs In Europe: General Discussion

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Oct 23, 2014.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    More an more I am thinking about Willems changing positions. Not what people on TV have in mind and put him on the wing, but I see him as a half player in a point to the back system, like they play at Ajax. He is a too good footballer for a back. His passing over the ground is maybe one of the best in the Netherlands. He sees windows to pass into and then also have the ability to do so. He can turn out of pressure situations and maintain ball possession. He is maybe even more capable to play box to box than Fer, while being a much better footballer. Could add so much power to a midfield. What is that kid doing at left back?

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

The good thing is that we have 2 great wingers now in Depay and Robben. We should enjoy the time that we saw them both together on the field together.

The only thing about Depay is that he is pretty retarded in his interviews. He always makes me cringe. It's not far off Vilhena who must be among the worst speakers in world football. Maybe not a coïncidence that they are close friends.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Though Maher should never be likened to Sneijder. Sneijder carried us to a WC final and gave the cutting pass to win it after winning the triple for Inter. Sneijder stands for the opposite of what Maher stands for. Sneijder stands for big game performances and Maher stands for folding when he feels a raindrop landing on his tiny nose. The one is an alpha male the other scared mouse.

I understand what you tried to say though and the analogy was fun to read.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yeah, the analogy was more about how PSV mirrored the same pain that the Dutch NT endured, not so much the individual player's quality. I really like the industrious Guardado. He went after every loose ball, made some good passing and had a very decent ball control. He made Maher look like even worse. I am a bit torn on Hendrix. I'd give him a passing grade today. He has a good body in midfield, covering a lot of space and battling hard. But at times he struggled to speed up the game.

5. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I never understood why Willems can seem so silly in interviews but showing vision when he plays football. I judge the intelligence of a player at the way he is playing. And Willems is a guy who is always looking between lines and playing with intuition. That'a sign of cleverness. And as you said, his passing is mainly on the ground, and that's the football I like.

While a guy like Dani Alves looks stupid on the field for me. I hate full backs who are always sending random aerial crosses instead of just giving the ball to the winger. Dani Alves is one of them, I'm allergic to him. Just last tuesday again he made me so nervous. Sent half of aerial crosses while the players in the box were Messi, Pedro and Neymar...100 % retard. Well, maybe he expected Veltman or Moisander to score an own goal but that's another debate... I don't understand why Barca keeps him so long anyway, he is the contrary of their philosophy. I'm happy there is no "boring" full back like that in Holland currently. Well in fact Kuyt does it a lot, but he retired. Janmaat, VDW, Van Rhijk, Willems...are all players that will look for combinations, crosses on the ground etc.

I hate aerial crosses in general, it's ok on undirect free kicks, corner kicks...but if you can keep the ball on the ground, it's the most beautiful football.

6. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Calling Sneijder an alpha male is a bit too much...Or maybe he is an alpha male next to some scared mouses in the dutch NT.

We are talking about a player that had his best performances in an horrible system with Inter. A player that has been sporadic all his carreer. You probably already know my point anyway : for me Sneijder is opportunistic. Like Van Gaal.

I see many signs of that. First do you really believe he was that great in 2010 ? Man, just go to check his goals again :
    - Against Japan that was 50 % fault of the keeper, his shot wasn't that good and the keeper had a plastic hand
    - Against Slovakia that was after a "coward" free kick. He just had to push the ball in the goal.
    - Against Brazil first goal was an own goal. Second was a lucky header. Coming from a 170cm guy you know that it was luck. Happens once in a carreer, like Thuram scoring twice against Croatia in 98. But Thuram goals were more legit than Sneijder ones to be honest.
    - Against Uruguay Van Persie disturbed the keeper.

His general level in 2010 was weak seriously, in the finale he gave two good passes yeah, but except that when you looked at Iniesta and at Sneijder in the same game, you got why Spain was doing better. One player was leading Spain on every attack, keeping the ball, getting past players, the other one is always playing long balls and cannot run ten meters with the ball in his feet. Football with Sneijder has been boring for 4 years at least. I believe he was better before, he never was any good dribbler, but he was able to turn quickly and shot before. And he had a good long shot that strangly disappeared. Now his free kicks with NT look so amateur that he even let Huntelaar to take them.

Every player has ups and downs in his career, but I think that all good and respectable players finish on a good note. That was Van Bronckhorst case for example. I really was worried about him in his Feyenoord days, he looked awful so many times with NT also. But he finished with a great WC and a wonderful goal.
    Sneijder finishing with a bad WC and a missed penalty against Argentina is a fair end for me. With NT I will keep in memory his game against Russia in 2008, a friendly against Croatia the same year, Scotland 2004...That's all ? With clubs I think all Real fans don't even remember anything about him, except some good free kicks. Inter he had a triple in a crap style...Galatasaray fans will only remember the qualification against Juventus.

A player like Seedorf has been awful with NT but is more respected by people I think. Because he shined with all his clubs and because he was simply a better football player. More elegant with the ball, better team player. Sneijder has accomplished great things but I never thought he was any great player. I mean you say he was a "big game player", yeah I agree. He often scored or gave assists in big games. But has he ever had one great game like Zidane against Brazil in 2006 ? A game where he would do everything good from the beginning to the end, dribbles, shots, passes...He has always been opportunistic and sporadic.

I know you are a big fan of Sneijder but I don't really understand it as you are a critical person just like I am. And we seem to enjoy the same football. How can you rate him high as footballer ?

7. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Maybe Willems and Alaba could be a good comparison, of course Alaba is better but Willems can reach the Alaba level, lets see.
    Also Guardiola change Alaba to midfield and he is not doing bad I think (altought I prefer Alaba in the LB role)
    What do you guys think about Alaba-Willems comparison?
    Cheers!

8. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Laurent you forget Sneijder in Euro 2008, what a player in that tournament, goals against Italy, France, some nice plays. That was for me the best Sneijder!!
    Cheers!

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Guess who has given Messi the most assists...

10. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Walcott has given RVP the most assists. Is Walcott a clever player ? ;)

Well actually I enjoy him more than Alves for sure.

Alves is a boring player to me. It's purely subjective though, I play fifa online and I saw many times guys who like to put the ball on the wings and send aerial crosses. Like everytime. Maybe they enjoy football to be like that and they enjoy Dani Alves, but I don't. Another player in the same style that was making me nervous was Manolev.

I like a full back who can pass the ball between lines, giving through passes. I also like him to be a good dribbler . But the problem with Alves is that he is like taking the ball, looking around, keeping it, and then sending a cross. He is always looking for the box, he cannot understand that passing the ball to a central midfielder behind or giving a through ball to the winger is also good.

So nothing surprising that he gave many assists to Messi, he is always looking for him. Now I'd like to see a statistic about how many useless crosses he sends per game. Probably harder to find...

I have a bit the same issue with Robben, I don't like that he is always looking for a direct solution to enter the box.

11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Search and watch Alvessi. If theres a back thats an expert in short passing its Alves..

Orange14 repped this.
  12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

No it is not. This guy came in the NT, when the climate was toxic, when we were on the brink of being defeated for an end tournament again and who made a player like Davids immediately play in an assistant role to him. We lost away against Scotland (with Sneijder in the stance) and one can say, we would always beaten Scotland at home, but the forces in play with the old group where such that we could have lost at home vs Scotland IMO. An 18 or 19 year old Sneijder took the team on his shoulders and scored the early opening goal that set things in motion. He changed that sense of apathy and powerlessness around the NT, being as young as he was. Back then, Sneijder was 1 or even 2 years younger than Maher. Maher is 21, Sneijder was 19 IIRC. There is a huge contrast between those 2 players from a mental perspective. Also quality wise of course. Sneijder turned up for the NT from being a little kid and never stopped doing so, even when it became difficult (situation or own decline).

I feel that Sneijder and Robben (the other alpha male) were the ones that injected a believe in this generation that winning a trophy was really possible. The miss from Robben in the WC final was more about quality. Robben does miss those chances (he can be quite wasteful with chances) and Casillas always having had that toe poach save in him. I also saw it in an Italy friendly after the WC. It is a trait of him. Robben just keeps on going and had a great WC in 2014. The goal that did not happen vs Argentina is another issue of quality. If that first touch before entering the box is right, then that is a goal. Now Mascherano could still save it.

2 great players.

Sneijder is one of the line of players that made the most out of a certain quality he has. You can call that opportunistic, but for me that is just making sense. If a player does not have a dribble, but does possess a distance shot and is generally deployed in a spot that will result in being a lot around and on the edge of the 18 yard box, then of course shooting from distance is advisable to pick up as a skill to hone as much as possible. In his Ajax days I was annoyed by how many chances he took, but it resulted in a level that payed out for them and the NT. He invested in himself. It is not like he will not give a through pass if the opportunity is there. Sneijder has distributed and put in beautiful passes to set other up plenty. Afellay also tried to score from distance vs Kazakhstan and I don't blame him for his second ring attempts. The last shot went in, by a deflection. Opportunistic one may say, but important for the NT. I think you will rebuttle with saying that Afellay can also dribble and has a broader mosaïc of skills in his locker, being a jack of all trades, but he is a master of none. Sneijder at his top had quality's in his locker for what one could call him master. Sneijder was the best 10 to orchestrate a quick counter attack. From having the ball to playing it beatiful into a man beating window for an attacker to benefit from. This counter trait from him, maybe leads you to call him opportunistic. I call it beauty. I am not purist that will look at players with one set of filters. I can enjoy outliers in different categories.

However for me Sneijder has also been an excellent distributer of the ball higher up. At one point Sneijder was for me a player that saw solutions on the field that I did not see when watching the game. When I saw him later in his career vs Hungary away, when Clasie was in his semi debut phase, I was stunned by the gap between the silk level of Sneijder and that of Clasie. I thought it was closer, but Sneijder looked so much more smooth, while he was quite sloppy in his passing there. It was not about the passing accuracy, but the overall class of handling the ball and moving it on.

You don't mention the context. Before the WC there were some nice friendly, but once we got into the WC, we became super conservative. Bert played with a block of 6 players and the 4 on top were almost left alone to find the solution. In the group round the teams bunkered against us and it was very hard to find the solution. It was also a boring WC compared to the last WC. In this difficult situation, Sneijder still found a way to get the 3 points vs Japan. No the game was not great or any player was great, but when a player delivers you a horse, you don't look in the mouth of the horse. Winning the opening match is very important. Was the ball on Robben vs Slovakia not also from Sneijder by the way? The goals vs Brazil is a typical thing that can happen when you have a player in the team that believes he and his team deserve the victory and starts throwing things into the kitchen sink. You look at Sneijder's header as a goal that should not have happened, for me it is another example of a player that brings believe to the team. What was little Sneijder thinking he could achieve in the box right there? On the edge of the box he could maybe convert from a rebound with a distance shot. However he just stood there and headed it in. Brilliant. Audacity rewarded. See how many teams in SA are conditioned to act differently when facing Brazil and are kind of already beaten before facing them. Why did Colombia lose to them in the WC and also recently in a friendly? Why does Netherlands beat Brazil in 2 consecutive WC"s? Sneijder kind of thinking. Not being afraid for the yellow shirt, standing in the keeper box next to guys that are all bigger than him and head it in. That goal is a nice little metaphor actually for what I try to point out. What was Sneijder thinking to go stand there in the first place?

2010 must be seen in the context of conservative football tactics which put an awful lot of pressure on the front 4 to deliver. Sneijder did. It was not an initiative rich team that gave the front 4 a lot to work with. In this desert, Sneijder still found a way to bring us to the final. To then call that opportunistic, while the tactics demanded to pull off miracles is for me being ungrateful about something great that happened. I think Sneijder did a great job given the circumstances.

To equate Sneijder to a player like Iniesta is like toying with a frame of reference. Sure, he is not like this player, or that player, he is Sneijder with his quality set and that is not as narrow as you paint the picture. He was a marvelous football hub that could also accelerate the game speed and that found the football solution very quickly. He is an architect player that needs movement around him and did not bring so much himself. If you don't like this, then you will not like Ziyech so much either, who moves towards the same profile. It is a profile and Sneijder reached a very high level in that production line plus gave me and I hope many others wonderful memories'. I truly enjoyed Sneijder.

Gio had a perfect ending of his career, but many good players don't get such an ending.

You are free to choose your own memory's about a player. Neither your or my memory's are a full and perfect representation about what a player has done for the team. You remember Zidane vs Brazil, another his headbutt. It depends. I have very different memory's from 2014, starting with that great pass on Robben vs Spain. The most heartwarming thing was what he said though. He called himself a worker in the form he was in. A player with big pride and that has meant so much for the NT. Must really love to play for country. Contrast that with the previous generation that looked so blazé when having to turn up for the NT. Sneijder is in decline and he put himself in service of the team, humbling himself. What a player. He missed a penalty (he at least took one, there were also players that did not want to take one), but I remember him for that wonderful volley he put in vs Mexico to equalize. The greatest thing about that goal was what he said against Vlaar before the corner was taken. He told Vlaar that this corner would end in a goal and gave him certain instructions in line with this prediction. It became a goal and he scored it. How great is that? Such moments add to a feeling in the group that they are a team of destiny. Van Gaal also said that he never managed such a cohesive fighting group, Sneijder being part of that.

"People". What people and why would "people" hold the truth? Comment sections are full of people with biases and that base opinions on few games. I have seen all games from Seedorf in the NT and all games of Sneijder and I would not have to think a split second for choosing between them if it comes to the Orange shirt. I go for Sneijder every time, certainly on 10 (the position Seedorf wanted so badly, but was not good enough for to really make his own). Now Sneijder is on decline, while seedorf had a long club career also after 30, adding to his mystique. That also has to do with physique, just look at Seedorf. I do not see a long career for Sneijder after 30. What has Madrid or Milan to do with the NT though? Hazard is great for Chelsea, what has he done for Belgian NT compared to that? Analogues to this I felt that Seedorf always brought the tempo down when playing for the NT. I suspected at one point that his ego was so big that he brought the tempo down on purpose, just to show people that he was the metronome and center of the team. That this indirect approach hurted the team and the achievement was of less importance to Clarence. His ego was so big, that he wanted to play on 10 in 1996, rather than Bergkamp (a brilliant 10). He and his buddy Davids blew that whole tournament up. Race issues, money issues, personal ego. Talking about a generation that did not fulfill their potential. Figure this: The mediocre team of 2014 still did better than anything that the Seedorf generation did. They became fourth in 1998, while this team beat Brazil in Brazil with 3-0. Sneijder being a big personality in the dressing room, was able to put his ego below the team and called himself a worker. Seedorf would never do that. Also, if you remember Sneijder for a missed penalty in the final, then that has consequences for how you remember Seedorf also. You can not just pick up one end of the stick.

I am actually somebody who is not a purist and fluctuates in taste. I don't understand how people can watch Barca football all year around. I like Apple pie, but not every week. I like direct play, but not every day. People eat a different dish during the week, then how is that not with football? Same with music. You say you don't like crosses and I understand that, but if it is followed up by a header from Dzeko like he did vs Spurs some years ago in a 4-0 drubbing IIRC, then I would not want to have missed out on that. Beautiful header from a cross. Likewise, RvP at the WC with his header against Spain was an iconic moment. There is beauty in that and am happy to have seen it.

I have never experienced Sneijder as boring. His exquisite passing and ways to open things up gave me often enough a rush of adrenaline. Man beating passes have that effect and Sneijder knew how to send those in. At the start of his career people were wondering if his ego would hurt the team, but it the opposite happened. His self confidence and believe spilled over and affected others to take on the enterprise. Sneijder saw an opening that others did not. After a certain game Marco van Basten was even blown away by Sneijder. He played and worked with great players, was one himself, but for the NT he thought Sneijder was one of the finest midfielders he ever seen. Zlatan was in awe of Sneijder after the group stage at Euro 2008. "What has that little men become good at Madrid". His first season Sneijder was awesome for Madrid. They also won the title, partly thanks to him. His second season, with the divorce and all, was not good. Must say that he was also deployed in a wrong way. Sneijder must be the architect of a team and dictate play. That has also had it's negative effects on RvP for example. However there have been enough opportunities for others to prove the team should be build around them. They never proved they could turn up for us as Sneijder did. For me Sneijder did not so much disappear (2014 is not a good example to characterize Sneijder). Sneijder has been extremely dominant for the NT. Attacking intentions went through him. He was the hub. That is the Sneijder I remember and in my eyes he is one of the true greats of the Orange shirt.

Cheers

Orange14 repped this.
  13. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Sneijder is a master in long passes, but that's all. I call him opportunistic because he got the reputation to be a great passer while his through pass isn't that good. I may be a bit too "purist" as you call it, but me for me the through pass is the most enjoyable thing in football. I also enjoy long aerial passes, where Sneijder is great, but less. The top are the long through passes on the ground, and I saw Afellay giving many. I remember one in a friendly against Turkey in november 2010, but I never could find the whole game to see it again.

I tell you, for me Afellay has a better through pass. But Afellay has the reputation to be an headless dribbler. That's the kind of reputation that youtube video make cause you find plenty videos of Afellay dribbles but none of his passes.

I always said that Sneijder wouldn't do better than Afellay with Barca. Sneijder's rate pass accuracy is never that high in a game, his ball control isn't that good, his ball protection is awful, he isn't at ease with the ball . I don't get why people don't see how many times Sneijder pushes the ball too far on his first touch and loses it. That's what I call opportunistic, the ability to make a mass of people to have a good opinion on you and to ignore your defects. In another hand, some players make people to concentrate more on their defects.

Sneijder will keep sucking during 80 minutes,losing ball on his first touch and giving lateral passes, people won't notice it but will scream when he will score the equalizer in the last minutes.
    Afellay will keep doing good things but will try a dribble while he should shot at the end, everyone will call him headless chicken.
    Robben is another case...

Now if you teach me how to make those MP4 videos that you post, I will post the wrong things I see about Sneijder, Dani Alves etc. and I think you'll agree with me.

Sam_TO repped this.
  14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Download page Gyazo

When using Gyazo Gif to capture a moment (just click the installed icon and do the same as making a screenshot, it will take longer to load though), it is set default on the Gif modus. Click on MP4 and open it in a new page.

Looking forward to your concerns about players (not only regarding Sneijder). I personally think a much bigger proportion of any football debate should involve exchanging observations from actual game play. So I encourage this initiative obviously.

15. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
  16. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The sky is the limit for Memphis IMO.

17. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Agreed about Depay, he is certainly our brighest talent. Lets hope we can win today please!!

18. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Willems is just a very good attacker, very good passer and good vision, could he be like Alaba an play in midfield?

19. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ok, if against Latvia Willems dont play LB I´ll be very dissapointed! The kid is just great!

20. gabriel_guilarte

Aug 16, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Veery glad Feyenoord managed to won today, a very important victory. On the other side, Psv is having a very hard match against Estoril, lets see if they managed to win or to draw, with any of those two results they will pass to the other round.
    Cheers!

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Estoril leading 3:2 the game was interrupted but I don't know why.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was abandoned due to a "waterlogged pitch."

23. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How do people feel about Luciano Narsingh? Since returning from injury he has played quite well, and he was good before getting injured too.

24. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Estoril 3- PSV 3

Good game overall, imo Estoril very unlucky to not get the win

PSV a good side moving forward but defensively very weak but Estoril who I thought had the better chances failed to finished they have some good players in Kuca, Tozè and Seba

Memphis started off great but really faded imo and only won 1 out of 8 duels in the first half

Narsignh seems a good player but drifed in and out too much for me

For those saying Bruma is better than BMI need to watch BMI more at Porto as he has been immense and IMHO a whole other class than Bruma, Kuca had Bruma in his back pocket

All in all a good result for PSV and very entertaining side

Cheers

25. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good to hear BMI makes progression at Porto.
    Last matches he played for Holland he didn't look that solid.
    But to be fair he wasn't the only one who played bad defensively.