Duke vs. Dartmouth (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LuvDaBears, Oct 21, 2003.

1. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Duke wins 4-0, on 4 second half goals. Devils scored in the 46th minute on a pretty goal by Adogwa who settled the cross, and tucked it inside the far post to make it 1-0. Then the floodgates opened as Dartmouth was simply outmanned. However, Dartmouth isn't that bad. It was 0-0 at the half, and the Big Green had some good chances but couldn't convert.

Stop the presses. Danny Wymer scored for Duke on a shot he won't make again if he takes it a thousand times. Better to be lucky than good. Anyway, during his celebration (which made it 4-0), he ran to the sideline and received a high five from Rennie himself. Wow...a true Kodak moment.

It's obvious that Ian Carey has replaced Trevor Perea in Rennie's doghouse. Carey was one of the last players to come off the bench tonight, and the kid didn't look too thrilled. That kid would be starting at most D1 schools, and Rennie barely plays him. I wish I had the scoop on that one. Duke is using Camp and Cila as the attacking mids, and they're okay, but they don't read the game like Carey, and they don't have his passing ability.
    For a tall lanky guy, Loftus (6-5) is decent with the ball at his feet. That guy is the biggest surprise in the ACC this year I believe.

Helton came off the bench in the second half for Duke, wearing a big knee brace. I understand he is coming off an MCL strain.

Here's another shocker. Rennie actually made an adjustment at halftime, going to a 3-5-2, and the extra midfielder made all the difference. I'm voting for Rennie for coach of the year. Plus, he didn't cuss at the ref once. By the way, this wasn't your typical ACC hackfest, but the ref was really good.

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    The ref is, by far, the most important factor in getting to watch a good game. I wish we had better ref's.

3. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Duke vs. Dartmouth (R)

HUH?!! ... i wish we had better refs too and its a global problem not limited to ncaa. given that even good ones don't make a match good / interesting to watch. at least to me anyways. there is some influence, but i can't remember ever telling myself that i enjoyed a match cause the ref or linesmen were good.

4. SouthernSoccerScene

SouthernSoccerScene New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    I know that LDB is the resident expert on John Rennie and his theories about the game, but I do think there was an error in his recap. There was no change to a 3-5-2 at halftime, because the team started in that lineup. Camp, Cila and Kelly played the start (and the majority) of the match in the middle of the midfield together for Duke, and played very well together.

I'm not sure where LDB would put Carey in that midfield, but I don't see him playing over Cila or Camp. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for Carey....LDB, maybe he could go to UNC-C????

Duke has now beaten NC State (3-0), Virginia (3-1) and Dartmouth (4-0) in their last three games - what a strange season - win their first two matches, go 0-8-1 in the next nine, and then get three impressive results. I guess that's normal with a young team, and with only a few guys who play graduating, they could be building some solid momentum for next year. The NCAA's are not in the cards this season, though.

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Well, sitting next to a friend of mine who was a former D1 player who also played some for the U23's, he and I concurred that Duke started with a 4-4-2. At halftime, they took Ahumada out of the game. I'm pretty sure they started with four in the back, but, whatever. It looked like they played three central mids, overloading the left side with Kramer, without a right mid. Those were our observations. Maybe Bodiya was playing right mid, but I thought he was at right back.

As for Carey, I would play him as the attacking mid, with Kelly as the d-mid. I really like Kelly because he plays the simple ball, and does not lose possession.
    Carey is a play maker, MUCH more so than Cila or Camp. I would put Camp up top, along with Adogwa, and Cila would play on the right. One thing about those Duke guys...none of them have a left foot. Any team defending them needs to force them to go to their left.

As for Loftus, the 6-5 frosh, he looks like the prototypical center back. Put Loftus and Ahumada as center backs, and Duke's defense is a lot more solid.
    Put Loftus in the box on corners, and set plays, the way Maryland uses Goodson.

Hey SSS, you're plugged in. What did Carey do to get so firmly planted in the doghouse?

6. SouthernSoccerScene

SouthernSoccerScene New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    LDB, I can't tell you why Carey isn't playing. I also think he played well in the times I have seen him over the last two years.

I also like Kelly as a defensive midfielder, but the best attacking midfielder in that team is Camp. The guy gets involved in the attack and is very good at striking the ball. Cila has done more as a midfielder the last couple of games than he had the last couple of years as a forward, and I couldn't see him playing on the right side of the midfield.

Kramer and Bodiya both look like more prototypical college players than Carey - faster, stronger more athletic - and certainly work harder than he does. As good as Carey looks with the ball, he doesn't do too awful much after they lose the ball. The before mentioned group (Kelly, Camp, Cila, Kramer and Bodiya) all were very effective against Dartmouth the other night, and the only explanation I could think of about Carey not playing much is that he is in an overcrowded midfield right now.

I hope whatever is going on gets sorted out because he could definitely help the team in some capacity. It seems like Cila's move to the midfield and Rennie's move to a 3-5-2 has gotten Carey squeezed out for the moment.

I also like Loftus, and he has the potential to create the same matchup problems that Kneipper had for UNC last year. Loftus, coupled with Adogwa's streaky goal-scoring, makes them a dangerous front line.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's a shame that Loftus is a late 84 instead of an 85. I was thinking he would be an ideal candidate for the next U20 team, either as a target forward in the Knox Cameron mold or as a centerback.

But, because of when he was born and because he didn't get to college till this fall and was a bit of a late bloomer in terms of soccer, he will never see any action with a youth national team, which is a real shame. (And, he's not the only one in his situation, not by a long shot.)

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    SSS...let's agree to disagree on Carey. We also disagree on Kramer and Bodiya. Camp plays in spurts...he has good skill, and a good shot as you say...but he disappears at times. I can tell you this...if Carey was at UNC, that kid would be playing. he's the only guy on Duke's team with two feet.

Sandon...you're point is well taken, and something I've been saying for years. In the US, they identify players at such an early age, that the "late bloomers" are shut out. Take Buete at Maryland...that guy is a baller and should get a shot at a d-mid spot for a youth national team.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Buete is definitely a great player and good enough for youth national teams.

Unfortunately, he was born in 1980 and hasn't been eligible for a youth national team since the conclusion of the Sydney Olympics.

The U20 team he was eligible for was Sigi's group that competed in April of 99, when Buete was still a senior in high school.

Loftus an any other 84s who bloom in college will be in a similar situtation - too old for the current youth national teams (unless you see any of them miraculously cracking the U23 pool this spring) and basically never having any youth national team experience their whole careers, till they turn pro.

I've said it before and will say it again - US Soccer should really field teams in the World Univeristy Games every two years and have camps and tours in the off years to get the Buetes and Loftuses more international experience and exposure.

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    This probably should be a thread by itself, but you have to really wonder about US Soccer. Like you said, the world university games could be a great tool to find talent, etc. I'm sorry, you just can't tell jack from watching most college games. Everybody is hacking everybody, players think their duty is to dribble more than anyone else, and the game is just not conducive to good soccer.

11. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    It's been very hard for Wymer to score from the bench. He's now second on the team in goals scored, which is remarkable given the quantity of minutes he's received and in the game situations he's gotten them.

12. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Good point David...it is hard to score from the bench. Wymer's situation is a good example of why college soccer sucks. Most of the time, these coaches want bangers in the game who play long ball...Wymer's not a banger...either is Carey...which is probably why Rennie has them sitting.

It's amazing how many guys are good enough to make a national pool, but when the get to college, the all knowing and omnipotent college coach thinks he knows better.

Just imagine if the college coaches were coaching our national teams? We'd really suck. It's bad enough that so many of these college coaches are powerful in the ODP process.

13. Soccerislife

Soccerislife New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    USA
    Duke

It is really horrible that Ian Carey has been relegated to a substitute position lately. Carey is also an interesting story because he was discovered by Rennie at the Duke soccer camp and he proceeded to be a starter next year. Many people from the Sacramento area actually didn't regard him as the best player around. But, Carey may not have the size or bite of most college players- but he certainly has an uncanny knack for the assist. He can read the game like none other and he is smooth and composed on the ball as well. I hope to see him back in the lineup soon because it would be terrible to see him leave the program.