Duhaney/Gibson: FC Union Berlin vs. FSV Mainz, 8/10 9a (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Both probably start on the pine.

2. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Mainz up 1-0 off a PK, 36 in.

3. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Is that 2 Bundesliga? Are the Americans on the team figure to get any playing time this season?

4. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Mainz with one sub at halftime, not Gibson or Duhaney.

5. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    2nd sub on 62', still no Gib/Duhaney.

Still 1-0, Mainz.

6. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    2-0, Voronin again, 73'.

7. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Grover gets a run--in on 83 minutes.

8. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    FT, 0-2 to Mainz. Three points on the road in their opener.

9. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    In the summary I had a short glance at Gibson, whose only TV time was when he was waiting at the right post to convert a cross - unfortunately another striker wanted to be the one with the goal honors and headed over the bar.

10. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    Grover had a good 12 minutes or so. Mainz were clearly putting much into the attack, but he did well in an attacking midfield role, starting a couple dangerous situations. He had one brilliant were he left two Union defenders starring at their feet as he blow past.

Mainz looked quite good on the whole, clearly the better team. They have to be one of the favorites for promotion. The game, however, sadly, was a disgrace. Amazingly poor officiating (directed at both teams, although Union had two penalties not given) led to uncharacteristic crowd trouble. So goes the 2. Bundesliga.

11. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Sorry, but that's not true. I don't know if you were in the stadium or watching the scenes on DSF. On TV they clearly proved the ref to be right in all penalty situations, i.e. twice when the Union fans demanded it and also the pk awarded for Mainz. The behaviour of the Union fans was unfortunately quite poor.

12. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    I was in the stadium and it went way, WAY beyond the penalty situations. The ref appeared to have learned his trade from the Spaniard who officiated the Germany:Cameroon match. He gave out a number of phantom yellow cards, one of which went to a Mainz player who got kneed in the groin. Apparently it is now an offense to put one's groin in the path of another's knee. There were several clear handballs that were not called, one where a Mainz player swung his arm around a smacked the ball a few meters from the ref. It was equally bad, but undeniably bad. I'm not usually one to criticize refs, but this guy was very, very bad. The call for the Mainz penalty was the right call, I will give you that, and I was on the other side of the pitch for the union penalties not given, so I didn't have to clearest view. But as I said, it went way beyond these incidents.

The Union fans were rather surprising. I've never seen anything even close to trouble from them before. The Mainz players clearly tried to stir them up after the penalty, but that's no excuse. It honestly wasn't that bad, just a few cups of beer tossed, but I hope it isn't the start of a trend. It was also confined to a small portion of fans behind the goal.

13. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Duhaney wasn't even on the bench. As Mainz coach Jürgen Klopp stated to be extremely satisfied especially with his defence, he'll have problems to see playing time in the next weeks.

Eisern Union, kicker rated the ref 3.5 - but they also demanded one pk for Union, which definitely is wrong what they must have seen in the TV pictures. Generally I don't exclude that you are right - in short excerpts you don't see the genereal refereeing - but IMO he didn't make game deciding mistakes.