Duff or Robben

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Walter3000, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just following the trend on here comparing players, who is th ebetter of these two? I like robbens ability to beat defenders on the run, and he has a great hard shot, and good passing ability. But to me duff is the better crosser, is stronger, is a little better at using his right foot, very good at finishing plays in the box, more unselfish, and not exactly too shabby at beating defenders.

2. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    I think Robben actually produces results in the form of goals and assists.....Duff is great but rarely gets on the scoreboard.

3. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :eek:

Have you seen him in the last two games? Scoreline says otherwise, sorry.

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I hate when we are constantly comparing players. There is no definitive answer. Everyone has their own opinions and players they prefer. I am just glad they are both Chelsea players and we don't have to choose between them. If we did though, I would choose Arjen.

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 goals so far, but for anyone whos seen him play, knows hes very unselfish and would rather set someone up then take alot of shots(i think hes taken just 6 shots)

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very true. The only Chelsea jersey I own with a player's name on it is #11, the Duffer, so there's my pick if I have to. :)

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Would it be fair to say that Robben made a bigger impact on his team than Duff? Chelsea went from 1-0s to 4-0s when Robben came back from injury. I also think it's safe to say that it's thanks to Robben that Duff has far more space now.

8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeahi mean lastyear without robben duff just wasnt getting it done, same for when hes carrying ireland :rolleyes:

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Sigh. I'm not saying Duff was rubbish previously, I am saying that Chelski (and Duff) have significantly improved since Robben got in the side.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Duff is better, but then he is older.

11. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Duffer by a lenght, he has it all, Arjen is missing something but i don't know what it is yet.....

12. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Let me guess ......... he's not Irish? :rolleyes:

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A shamrock? :D

14. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Yours was more pithy, if that's a consolation :D

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oi... bugger. You got in before me....

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Robben has the added benefit of being in a class national team. Robben's future is bright and orange, Duff's future is summers on the beach in Magaluf.

17. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Quite apart from the obvious retort about WC 2002 qualifying, Ireland aren't a bad side these days. Not as good as Holland but still a decent outfit.

They look well placed to qualify for 2006.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Fair enough but we're actually going to win the world cup 2006. Just so you know. We have this history of doing well in Germany after all.

19. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    Sorry but i'd just like to remind you didn't Ireland play in the last world cup, and why didn't Holland? oh yes Didn't Ireland get 4 out of a possible 6 against Holland in the qualifiers.......... Duff's a better player, Do ye remember last year when Duff got injured, Chelsea would have won the premiership if it wasn't for the bad spell when Duff was out........

20. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    sorry, didn't see the other message. But as long as you know....

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your reply was before my comment. Spooky!

22. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shay Given (Newcastle United)
    Stephen Carr (Newcastle United)
    Kenny Cunningham (Birmingham City) - though one of the best defenders in the Premiership
    Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United)
    John O'Shea (Manchester United)
    Steve Finnan (Liverpool)
    Roy Keane (Manchester United)
    Matt Holland (Charlton)
    Damien Duff (Chelsea)
    Robbie Keane (Spurs)

and Clinton Morrison (Birmingham City) *cough*

This is a class lineup by any standards, with the exeception of Morrison and possibly Matt Holland and O'Shea. On paper the Dutch are better, but that Irish team is capable of beating any team in the world exept mabye Brazil. There are very few Dutch people who would relish drawing Ireland again in WC or EC Qualifying, that's for sure.

And as for Robben vs Duff, I've never seen Duff play a poor game for Ireland. Though he can be brilliant, I've seen Robben play several absolutely awful games for the Netherlands. vs Sweden in the Euro Championships IIRC? Duff has never been that poor.

23. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    They are both quality! But i prefere Duff - hes Irish.

24. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    At this moment in time < - note - i really can't see how anybody could say that Robben is better than Duff.
    Duff has been getting it done for quite some time now, not just with Chelsea.
    In fact, i think his classy performances with a rather less than stellar Rovers side shows just how good the lad is.
    Added to this is the fact that he's been able to step up his game when playing higher quality opposition for his national side.

Duff is a proven quality player.

For as much as i like the young Dutch lad, the jury is still out, imho.

(although the verdict is looking good for him :D)

25. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D