Duck fat

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Mad_Bishop, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm a sucker for butter, but man, I have about 4 cups of rendered duck fat in the freezer just begging to be used. First up, Duck Confit from the legs left over from the Xmas duck. Then, probably just a spoonful at a time to flavor things like green beans. Ooooh I'm in duck heaven right now.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We always collect the fat when we rotisserie a duck but it gets used up very quickly. Sometimes I just spread it on bread. :eek:

Alton Brown did a wilted greens in duck fat in the Good Eats episode on duck, but my wife tried them and didn't like them -- she likes all kinds of greens but these had some kind of an off flavor to them.

3. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    duck fat rules.

whenever I buy a duck, I make confit with the legs and thighs and usually cook the breasts in a pan. I always take all of the skin that is left over and chop it up, slowly cook it until I have a pot full of fried duck cracklin's. That is heaven IMO.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Never used Duck fat before...

But Goose fat is great to use on your roast potatoes.

I would imagine its basically the same stuff.

5. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Duck fat is "richer", for want of a better word.

I do love using duck fat elsewhere, but I don't think there's anything more satisfying than a duck breast with a nice layer of crunchy fat on top. Mmm.

6. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    yeah, I always sear the breasts seperatly, confit the rear quarters, render all the fat, make stock with the carcass and giblets and pate with the livers. In fact, tonight I'm making a Charcuterie platter with the pate, confit, some proscuitto and capicolla and some Saucisson Sec. Pretty much the only other way I ever use a duck is if I'm making sausage.

Oh yeah, we often wilt Swiss or Red Chard in duck fat after searing the breasts. Throw some shallots in the pan and deglaze with some Sherry first, and it's one of my fav. ways to eat greens.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

Mmmm....fattened ducks....LOL.

(yes, I know it's cruel, but it's HILARIOUSLY cruel)