Dub Music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by FulhamRev, Aug 5, 2002.

1. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've recently been introduced to the sounds of dub. I've downloaded some King Tubby, but I'm looking for more and also specific albums that you guys recommend.

Thanks.

2. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    This is up my Alley, most of these guys only put out dope tracks.

Mad Professor
    Aswad
    Scientist
    Augustus Pablo

Also, most Reggae artists put out Dub Albums a year or 6months after the album drops, so look for your favorite artist, i'm sure they have a dub track.

3. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any specific albums?

I got the Gorillaz vs. Space Monkeyz album and love it...

4. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Black Uhuru "Brutal Dub" on RAS Records.

This is the REAL Drum 'n Bass, with Sly & Robbie.

5. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    Also, check out The Twilight Circus Dub Sound System at www.twilightcircus.com for a modern take on the genre.

6. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee "Scratch" Perry- Where else are you going to get barking seals with your dub?

"Words Of My Mouth" is a good place to start. But there are no barking seals (or other signs of his dementia/genius) on that album.

7. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Have to concur with Lee Scratch Perry. Phenomenal stuff.

For his dub work, there is a Trojan compilation called "Open the Gate" that is great. This is actually a reduction from a 3 disc box set that I must admit I own and love. It's not all dub, but there is alot of it on there and it's excellent.

Aswad is also a great suggestion. "A New Chapter in Dub" is the dub version of "A New Chapter." Also Highly recommended.

King Tubby and the Mad Professor are also stalwarts: Try Tubby's "Roots of Dub" for an intro.

One of my all time favorite reggae records is a Bunny Wailer album called "Rock 'n Groove" which is a full album of great mid-tempo grooves almost all of which lapse into a dub mix for the second part of the tracks. Very, very cool.

8. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
  9. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys!

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard New Member

Oct 16, 2000
    London
    You could also try Garvey's Ghost by Burning Spear which is the Dub version of his classic Marcus Garvey album.

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    The Trojan Dub Collection box sets are great starter points. Three discs and CHEAP (only $13.98 here in SF). Augustus Pablo is greatness, as is the new Horace Andy compilation (can't think of the title right now).