Dual nationals who could suit up for the US.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Oct 26, 2018.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, if argentina is calling him into an u20 camp arent we? or at least undervalueing him?

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cremanschi was amongst the U20s that were just training with the USMNT in the pre-WC fitness camp. He's very much been in the fold. We're not "undervaluing him." That U19 event was the Nations Cup in Slovenia. We took a good roster to that event. He scored a brace in our win over Croatia as we won the title. [Euro-based competitions at this level are U19 of course.]

But he's on the young side, and when it came time for the U20 CONCACAF Championships, we relied on the guys with more professional experience in attacking positions. Paxten Aaronson, Quinn Sulivan, Caden Clark, Diego Luna, and all of those guys. Rokas Pukstas, who's playing first team soccer for Hajduk Split.

Its not easy to break into the US U20s these days........................

We should see this Argentina callup for what its worth. He's exploring his options just like Pepi, Slonina, and countless others have before him. If he was your son, that's what you'd have him do too. Are you turning down an opportunity to train with Javier Mascherano for a week? He's the Argentina U20 coach now. It isn't binding at all.

Deadtigers, Zinkoff, Ironbound and 6 others repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not arguing any side, im just saying if we are calling him into u19 events and argentina is calling him to an u20 camp- which, as you note, he hasnt gotten into for us yet- its saying something.

this isnt el salvador we are talking about. i think its a little cavalier to say, "its cool, weve got loads of u20s, what do argentina know about developing young players we dont?".

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint just told us what it means. He’s keeping his options open.
    Is that what you think is happening?

In all of these situations, the players have agency. They aren’t chess pieces to control.

don Lamb repped this.
  5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This is a very interesting article.

The USA has 4 foreign born players that qualify via ancestral connections. One additional foreign born player qualifies due to natural migration.

Canada has 7 foreign born players. Only one qualifies via ancestral connections, the other 6 are via natural migration.

The ancestral connection category of foreign born players on African sides is massive.

Deadtigers, Winoman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I don't think Mexico is going to fall off a cliff, but I don't think they will be able to keep up with us, either. It's been evident for years already that we are producing better players. I didn't expect that to start showing itself at senior team level until after the 2022 cycle, but it came slightly ahead of schedule.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is what this board has come to.

1) Criticizing the call up schedule of a player that NOBODY HAS SEEN play first team soccer.

2) Criticizing the USSF for not calling him up to the U20s, when he was literally just with the U20s last month.

EGADS!!!!@@!!!

Zinkoff, Elninho, don Lamb and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kristoffer Lund, January camp invite?

Winoman repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not only is all of CONCACAF scouting the US hard for players, South America is too.
    [In CONCACAF, FCD alone has had youth players called up to Mexico, Panama, Honduras, and El Salvador this week.] There could be as many as 7 nations using Americans at the U20 South American Championships.

Zinkoff, Namdynamo, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Zinkoff, Winoman, dlokteff and 2 others repped this.
  13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the status of his eligibility? I’ve seen multiple reports. Can we confirm that he is, in fact, eligible to play for us?

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think that one is still broiling behind the scenes. I haven't seen a conclusion.

What it seems like is that Zendejas represented Mexico in friendlies without ever filing a one-time switch. He needed to do that as he'd played for the USMNT in events that provisionally cap-tied him to us. In theory that violated FIFA regulations.

So.........................if he was never actually eligible to play for Mexico, wouldn't that mean he's still eligible to play for us? One would think, but I haven't seen that conclusion confirmed anywhere.

I'm also skeptical about whether he's good enough for the USMNT, but that's a whole different topic. Certainly worth a look in a friendly if his eligibility is confirmed.

Mostly because we yearn and seek to have a USMNT of only FC Dallas academy products. And he'd fill a nice hole on the right wing in an FCD USMNT XI.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has confirmed that he has talked to Berhalter about coming into camp after the WC. Since El Tri has said he didn't file a one-time switch, he continues to be eligible for the US.

Winoman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think I've seen quotes from Berhalter or the fed that he's being brought into the fold in the new year. I think we have him because El Tri was pissed when he didn't sign the paperwork which they thought was a formality. Tata definitely seemed annoyed about it. Seems clear to me he's going to be ours. I'm just baffled as to why and how this happened after basically a seeming switch that covered the past five or six years. Weird.

Seems like Araujo and Ochoa in reverse, essentially once he made good, w/the production the past two years, he wanted to play for us again, or there was something that changed his mind drastically about them. Not sure which. I actually do think he's quite useful. The trend lines since he turned 22 are really really good.

'20-'21: 5 goals in 2500 minutes
    '21-'22: 11 goals and 2 assists in 2400 minutes
    '22-'23: 6 goals and 2 assists in 1450 minutes

Basically he's gone from a vague squad player to one of, and maybe the best wingers/wing forwards in Mexico over the last 18 months or so, and its pretty consistent up ticks. The problem for him re the USMNT, is he plays our deepest position, so where would he fit? For me, probably Wing Forward #4 or #5, and I love that he was teammates with Pulisic, Wright, Adams and friends 7 years ago so it won't be a strangers kind of thing. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if part of this is getting back w/a group he enjoyed playing with (El Tri doesnt seem very fun these days or cohesive, not an implosion like some teams go, but definitely messy).

TxEx, Zinkoff, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A part of me sort of just wants to see a roster with Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Wright, LDLT, Trusty, Vazquez, and Zendejas just so we can get an update of the photo of all of them together from the youth days. I don't know this, but it seems logical that part of his reason of wanting to play with the USMNT is specifically because he wants to play with all his youth teammates.

Winoman and grandinquisitor28 repped this.
  18. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Is zendejas better than Paul Arriola?

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #3244 deejay, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    It's a good question but their is other context as well. The U20 calendar for Argentina is different. C'CAF has their U20 regional tournament a full year earlier than C'BOL. The age from 16 to 18 is one of tremendous growth for players. The timing might not have been right for USMNT.

Edit: Also, we just have way more dual nationals that Argentina. I believe most of our rosters are about 50% dual nationals or something like that. We can't just bump someone off because they are also likely to be dual and if we always give priority to duals then we would only have duals which is not a good message either.

superdave and grandinquisitor28 repped this.
  20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I'd love to know if they are still tight. If Haji and them kept in touch despite the lost Haji years from '18-'20, I'd like to think that they kept in touch with Zendejas too. He had one of the goals in that big win over England if memory serves. I tend to think so too, but its partly just wishful thinking. I love the idea of this being a gang of friends whove known each other since they were early teens, both the 23-24 year old cohort, and the 18-20 year old groupings. It's just super cool to have a group that's like that as it seems unique to our team in certain ways (the U17 group from '99 had an impact on multiple national team careers across the following 4 world cups) the big New Jersey/Northeast Contingent, mixed with the California contingent seemed to form a big chunk of the '90-'94-'98 era guys too (all seemed to be coming out of college in the late eighties/early nineties and all seemed familiar with one another from college days before donning the shirt).

gomichigan24 repped this.
  21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I don't know. Stats are pretty similar. Zendejas has better stats than Arriola did in Mexcio since he's emerged, but Arriola left when he was like 20-21 for MLS, while Zendejas only broke out at age 22. The stats are pretty close, Arriola's been productive longer (he is older), but Zendejas best seasons are better for the most part and w/a better club in a better league but....I don't know, which is why I said Zendejas would be #4-#5 on the depth chart. That's basically also where I have Arriola. I think Zendejas is probably a bit more technically gifted, but Arriola has his only special tool kit he brings, minus the finishing angle.

I think both are basically in that hat of guys that come into play after the big 4 (Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, and Aaronson), but the pecking order remains to be seen, plus Reyna and Aaronson could be moved eventually to CM (I still don't think Aaronson can handle that, but Reyna can).

Yowza repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo and Winoman repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  24. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This contingent got a bit too familiar. Ahem.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3250 xbhaskarx, Dec 29, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    Hopefully this one doesn't get taken down...
    1608539917050875904 is not a valid tweet id

another one

Namdynamo and Winoman repped this.