Dual-Nationals in YNT System of Another Country

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Aug 24, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The person who made that comment is related to him. I wouldn’t believe we have better info on his situation than they do.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would.

We are savants when it comes to citizenship and FIFA rules. Idiot savants, sure, but savants none-the-less.

There have been lots of players through the years who haven't understood either US citizenship laws or FIFA rules or both and have said things they thought they could do when it turned out they couldn't.

Anyone remember way back when Michael Ricketts, then a Premier League forward, thought he could play for the US because his dad lived here?

This happens time and time again.

And even if he is eligible, it's still very dubious whether he'd be good enough.

maroonlaw, BostonRed and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the Bradley Johnson boomlet.

Hell, how about Danny Potts? The guy was in U20 camps before both he and the USSF realized that he wasn't eligible.

It's always the "but I have an American grandparent" people you should view with skepticism. It's usually a sign that they don't understand how American citizenship law works.

maroonlaw repped this.
  4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think they expect it to be like playing for Ireland. Pretty easy if you have any Irish relatives.

5. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Andre and Ajani Fortune are both starting for Trinidad and Tobago against the USA tonight.

6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Take the source for what it's worth, but someone on reddit said that they were told by a family friend of Munoz that he wants to play for the USA, yet hasn't been contacted yet. There have been a few suggestions in the media before that he might want to represent the USA. Our '02 crop of strikers isn't looking so great right now. After Ocampo-Chavez, there are almost no viable options. We could absolutely use Munoz in the US system.

8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful,I believe this rumor was started by the one and only Charlie Kennan.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    EXALIFTIN repped this.
  10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What's he get out of a switch, though?

A few years ago, switching would've made a player with his pedigree a lock for regular USMNT appearance.

Now? Is he gonna start above (pick the order you want) Sargent, Hoppe, Soto, Gioacchini, Dike, Ferreira, Zardes, Altidore, Wright, Novokovich, Ebobisse?

I mean, maybe he's better than all of them. Maybe he's better than some of them. Or maybe he'd never get any playing time.

The reason to switch national teams is usually for more playing time. Would Munoz get that with a switch?

I'd love to see the USMNT with a star Mexican-American attacking player as I think it could do wonder for American soccer going forward. But I'm not sure switching to the US is in the best interest of this kid.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he better than his old FCD El Paso teammate Pepi?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Munoz is going to be U-23 eligible for next cycle. The '00 strikers have a lot of depth, but none of them have really emerged yet as top players. The would-be U-20 crop (Hoppe, AOC, Kelman, J. Gomez) isn't as talented. The next few age groups after that ('03, '04, '05) don't look that deep in CF's. Players might emerge, but Munoz absolutely would be in the discussion for the would-be U-20 team and the U-23 team for next cycle, as of now.

He's not good enough to play for either senior NT yet, so I don't think this is about wanting more playing time. Both NT's are also (for now) roughly at the same level. A switch isn't that risky. If you are good enough (right now) for one, you'll probably be good enough for the other, and if you aren't good enough for one you probably aren't good enough for the other.

Also, Mexico isn't bad at the CF position right now. They have proven players like Jimenez, Pulido, Chicharito that probably will be able to fill the position for the 2022 and 2026 cycles, even if their younger strikers don't pan out. They also have some younger CF's like Macias, Gimenez, Vega that are among their better young players. I think we clearly have the better future at the position, but I could see why someone wouldn't be looking at it as Mexico provides such a better opportunity.

He might also just prefer to play for the USA. Some players don't care about making the business decision, and will play for the team they prefer to play for. If Munoz has yet to be contacted by the USA, we won't know his official position on who he'd rather play for because it's a moot point until the US contacts him. It's only speculation.

gogorath repped this.
  14. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He said it himself in an interview he had with a YouTuber. But it is the typical answer of any dual nat when asked about which NT he wants to play with; "I'll play with whoever calls me first."

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Munoz isn't near the senior national team of either country.
    He's scored one Liga MX goal.
    He's in the same boat as a young MLS-based forward like Pepi.
    [I'd say Pepi has proven more with the FCD first team than Munoz has at Santos. Still amazing that this was the forward line of FCD El Paso. Yikes.]

But anyway, I want as many young players "in the hopper" as possible. The more competition, the better.

The problem is simply one of logistics. We're not having U20 camps. We're not having any more U23 camps, and he's not going to be part of the Olympic group. He's not going to be called up to the full USMNT. So when exactly, and for which team............................would we call up Munoz???? Same for a guy like Charlie Kelman or Johan Gomez or Jalen Hawkins or Cam Harper. Those were the listed forwards on the last U20 camp roster.

Unless one of those guys has a real breakout in club football in the near future, the next camp those guys are going to go to is the start of the 2024 Olympic cycle. Now, in a perfect world we'd start having camps for that team as soon as this Olympic cycle ends. And that would be an effort to make up for lost time with the current U20 team........................

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This team has a Mexican technical director, which might’ve been the reason they wanted to sign him. He’s been rumored to go to a few different clubs in Europe. Getting him out of Liga MX would be helpful for there to be an eventual NT switch

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think Jon Arnold would love to be the first with the scoop on this story.
    The Striker is a twitter feed worth following for all things Texas soccer.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Munoz is getting good reviews for his start last night.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1361444643045601290 is not a valid tweet id

21. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team: