Drop the Liverpool duo for the next friendly?

Discussion in 'England' started by n00bie deluxe, Jan 13, 2003.

1. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Neither Heskey nor Owen have been finding goals, period.

Let's put Beattie and Rooney up front and see what happens. Australia shouldn't be too tough and it looks like England can experiment with this game. If they do like crap, we can just go back to the way things were for the match that really counts, the one with Turkey.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It's a friendly, so the result is really of no importance - more a chance to see new players. What would be nice is to see Sven experiment with 6 or 7 new and fringe players (such as Beattie, Rooney, Joe Cole, Robinson, Kirkland etc) and not make 11 substitutions. Limit them to 3 or 4 to keep the game sensible.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heskey dip in form? How could you tell?

4. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    That's harsh... yet funny.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    mass substitutions would turn the game into a farce. Eriksson made the same mistakes in the World cup build up game's...
    Lets hope he tries out the youngsters and ditches the likes of seaman .

6. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Out:

Seaman
    Martyn
    Heskey
    Vassell

In:

Wright
    Robinson
    Rooney
    Beattie

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Please do not select Kirkland, Owen, Muphy or Gerrard either.

England Schmengland.

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spoil sport :p

Are these your toys next to your pram Mr Clark? ;)

9. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney will not be playing. Moyes insisted on it and the FA gave in...

10. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    This was in regard to U-20 World Championships in May that would have forced him to miss games. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=254925&cc=5739

I think Rooney should play at least once for U-21s or establish himself in Everton's starting 11 before he gets capped.

All the Liverpool boys will pull their hamstrings before the England game.

Drop Seaman. Give Dyer, Cole, Alan Smith and maybe Beattie at least 45 minutes.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, seriously. England can fuck off. Friendlies are shit in any case and they always borrow our lads and then give them back broken.

England is not important.

12. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Only important if you're an actual England fan...

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well exactly. Me, I don't suffer from that unfortunate affliction and, as such, don't give a shit. Not until some meaningful game comes along, in any case. Friendlies against Australia? Fuck off.

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know you views on the England team mate, I tend to dance around them and avoid bring the subject up, but this time I just had to :p I like to be an aggravating ************ ;)

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fair enough. I just think we should retain some perspective - major championship? Cool - break out the St George flags. Pissy little "let's have an international for the sake of it, or FIFA will cry"?

Not interested. I think they should be restricted to youth internationals only. Anyone playing regularly for their club should not have to go near the international game until the qualifiers for a tournament and/or the tournament itself. All that "getting to know the players" hokum is a complete red herring. The three days an England squad spends together before some pointless friendly does nothing in that respect. The only thing it does do is further tire the players out, to the detriment of the clubs that pay their wages and the game that is the actual, indisputable fulcrum of football.

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Fuck...what happened to all those claims of travelling abroad to follow england??
    Must have been a load of porkies.

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "All those claims" relate to two incidences - once when I travelled abroad from here in the Uk and once when I was already abroad and they came to play in Germany.

Hardly means I am a beer-bellied, tattooed, subnormally intelligent, fuckwi ... erm, "England fan".

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    If you dont support the team than there is no point travelling is there??

as for the last point...
    I've never been someone to tar everyone with the same brush.
    I hear that evertonians call liverpool fans "murdering scum"... summat to do with heysel.
    Some even suggest that liverpool fans are connected with thieving and bad fashion sense..
    now thats unfair aint it???

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not really, no. I write to you from a PC I stole from Dixon's on the way to work this morning. Could barely get it into me motor - almost had to scan about for a bigger one, know what I mean?

And that security guard didn't look too clever once I'd knifed him in the gut on the way out of the store. Reckon I might need to be ordering some flowers soon.

20. kenodoki

kenodoki New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Leeds, England
    Unless you didn't notice, teams that do well in major competitions play near full strength squads in 'useless friendlies' and spend some time together. Brazil forced Wenger to release Gilberto to fly half way around the world. South Korea suspeneded their league in order to have a proper get together before the World Cup. The problem with the England team is that they don't gel. Oportunities like this are perfect even if it means some stay on the bench and others only play 45mins.

It gives us room to make mistakes. Mistakes we can't afford to make in qualifiers. Anyway, Gerrard and Owen are the only Liverpool boys good enough to be chosen. Murphy and Heskey can stay at home. There is too much talent elsewhere for Sven to waste his time on them (Kirkland's good but he is out for the season anyway).

And Owen and Gerrard should play cos I feel they need the confidence. Especially Owen.

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The attitude displayed by Brazil was ridiculous - their outmoded interest in international football is largely due to the paucity of their domestic league. We are blessed with a proper competition and, as such, don't need to piss about with the England team in the manner that areas of the world without decent club football need to.

Owen and Gerrard are not needed by England for a pointless, uninteresting, unproductive friendly against a third-tier footballing nation in the middle of the EPL season's run-in. Why not discover something we don't know about peripheral players that stand a chance of adding to our international pool by performing well in these lesser games? Play Beattie and Jenas instead of Owen and Gerrard and let's actually learn something new.

That's the problem with England - totally unintelligent use of resources.

22. kenodoki

kenodoki New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Leeds, England
    So that when it actually comes to important games they run around like a load of one man teams? The matter of the fact is that the Brazil technique works and most of their influencial players play in Europe. So your argument about a crap domestic league is... er.. crap.

Owen should be partnered against Beattie. His form has dipped and he needs the confidence from this game to get his sharpness again (He missed a few sitters last night). What's the point of capping eveyone and his dog when they haven't really got a chance of playing for the squad when it really matters? Remeber Phillips? Ricketts? Where are they now? Capping them was pointless.

We only have a couple of positions that are problematic, we should sort those out and try out a few hopefulls in those positions. i.e A second striker to Owen, a decent left sided midfielder and a goalkeeper. Maybe we should also find a couple of understudies to the rest of the squad but Sven should'nt change the team too much. This way he can spot the problems and try to solve them.

But obviously you are one of those who jumps on the England bandwagon during the major competitions and then wonder why we don't do better when we crash out early.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't even do that. I love the World Cup and the European Championships because of the football. Most usually that from other nations. England? I don't give a fuck. Not really. It's all very amusing to get all tribal every two years, but let's not juice the goose all over international football, eh? Who's got the time, when there's so much proper footie going on?

24. kenodoki

kenodoki New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Leeds, England
    Well, can't really say anything to that. Your view is your view. Although I wouldn't called Liverpool's brand of 'exciting' Football 'proper footie'.

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    yeah well....
    The england national forum aint the place for you then...
    I dont give a fuck about things like eating prawn sandwiches ,drinking champagne ,being a rich upper class twat,etc...
    So I dont talk about them...
    I dont go to the "1990's corporate football fans" forum and start moaning..
    that would be a real waste of time...