Drew Carey Covers El Clasico

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by chrisc, May 30, 2006.

1. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
  2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will definitely check that out. Have any of you guys seen a show called "Leagues Apart with Ardal O'Hanlon"? It's on RTE 2(Ireland, right?), but you can find it online at torrent sites. They travel around europe and investigate the rivalries in each country. REALLY good show.

They've done shows on Ajax V. Feyernoord, Pananthiakos V. Olympiakos, and a few more. Last weeks was for Barça V. Real, which I have downloaded but have yet to watch.

3. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Check out Carey's videos on the Travel Channel site. Looks like the show won't be as dumb as it could've been. I assumed it was going to be a "kind-of-funny meat and potatoes American guy goes to Europe to see what this World Cup fuss is all about" type of show. He actually likes the game and is genuinely interested, whichi s pretty cool.

4. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A few months ago I saw him on the "Tonight Show" pumping USA soccer (USMNT) and recently he has been seen at the US warm up matches. I think it is good the an average Joe is getting involved.

5. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    yea, i saw it too, his little jokes with the statues of Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were pretty funny, i liked the one joke where Ronnie goes to Ronaldo:"so how do you think we will do for Spain in the world cup?" and Ronaldo goes:"we are both from Brasil you idoit" lol

so thats where Drew Carey has been all this time, taking pictures of football matches, lucky guy

6. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    i remember he was on the other show with Craig Ferguson and he was wearing a Celtic shirt, which he is a big fan of, and i they were having a disscusion on the riviliary of Rangers/Celtic

7. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Greddy...good call, the show was awesome.

Saw the Drew Carey show last night. It was entertaining but real american

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I wasn't a big fan of Drew's show. I love his enthusiasm for the material, but he didn't really explain much of anything. I don't know, maybe I'm just caught up in his HORRIBLE pronunciation of Ronaldinho's name. I couldn't stand it, and he said it like 50 times throughout the episode.

It's not Ron-all-Deeno! Deeno?!? Is it really that hard to pronounce "Dinho"? How many El Niño jokes have you done?!? And the name was repeated back to him how many times, yet he never even attempted to correct it. Sorry fella's, but that just bugged me for some reason. I mean, he's teaching people about Ronny, and he doesn't even know his name.

That leagues apart show was fantastic though. I would suggest everyone download it. I finally saw the Barça - Real one and it's great. The host is a Culé too. :)

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    60% done. I know what I'm doing at work after my lunch ;)

10. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Carey's pronunciation was ridiculously off. My girlfriend and I could not get over it, it even got to the point where she was making fun of him. The show was more of a comedy travel show for Drew than anything else. It was amusing but not cultural by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Leagues Apart, my only remote complaint is the show was to pro-Barca, they must have spent 90% of the show on Barca. Loved the segment where the Real Madrid bus is rolling into the stadium and people are on the street throwing crap at them chanting "Madrid Cabron, Salud al campions"...too funny

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, definitely. They were pretty even handed in the other ones, but when part of your show involves the host actually(and excitedly) becoming a Socio for Barça, you can imagine that there's going to be some bias. That said, as a culé, I didn't mind so much. :)

12. RomanCandle

RomanCandle New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Dallas
    I thought it was pretty cool when he said Barça-Madrid players were like Civil War reenactors. That helps explain the game pretty well to people who don't know anything about soccer, which was probably a large segment of the audience.

13. -GoalUSA10-

-GoalUSA10- New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    USA
    Anyone know where I can download the show? I really want to see it and the link says they're not going to re-air it on the travel channel. Thanks!

14. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can still see episodes 3 and 4 of his World Cup coverage. I think episode 3 is on Wed. at 8 and 11, while the final episode is on Thursday at 9.

I taped 1 & 2. It's a great show. Wish I was there.