Draw speculation for final stage

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by eldiablito, Nov 17, 2004.

1. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    According to fifaworldcup.com, these will be the pots for the final stage.

Pot A
    South Korea
    Japan

Pot B
    Saudi Arabia
    Iran

Pot C
    Bahrain
    Uzbekistan

Pot D
    Kuwait
    North Korea

This means it's entirely possible the two Koreas could play each other.

Also, of the above teams, which team do you expect to get that 5th spot to play off against the 4th Concacaf member?

2. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Depends really. If Japan, Iran, and Uzbekistan end up all in one group, then Uzbekistan will probably be the 5th team to face the 4th.

3. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Regardless of the draw, I would guess it to be Uzbekistan.

4. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    nah, if Uzbek is with Saudi they will finish second.

5. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    teams from pots 1 and 2 are through hopefully, they are the best reps of Asia i think. I hope Bahrain books the 5th ticket, but think Uzbekistan will win it.

goodluck everyone

6. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    I'm not sold on Uzbek's away performances against quality opponents. if matchs played in neutral site like in Asian Cup, i'd give them much better chances. my wild guess is that Iran and a Pot D team would square off for the 5th place. but that's just me. :rolleyes:

7. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran? Do you really think Iran would not come 1st or 2nd in its group? Only 3 wins at Azadi is enough for the 2nd place!

8. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    in my opinion, the teams that are going on to germany are...
    1. South Korea
    2. North Korea
    3. Japan
    4. Iran
    and the Uzbeks will be playing for the .5 spot

9. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    japan is already guaranteed a spot in germany. none of them look as strong as oman and even finishing in the second will lead us to the world cup. 1st stage was far more competitive than the final stage

10. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    what makes you think "only 3 wins at Azadi" would come so handy? All 8 teams earned their spots and it's gonna be a dogfight where a lose would be fatal - to anyone. yes, Azadi's tough place to play for visitors and some teams probably would play defensively and be happy with 1pt from there. i think we're gonna see lots of draws and low scoring matches in next round.

Good luck to Iran and all the other contestants, nonetheless.

11. Niloc

Niloc Member

Jul 31, 2004
    US, Japan, Korea, UK
    Man Hamatachi... I am so sad that you are the only vocal Japan supporter on this site... I mean, you give us such bad rep... None look as strong as Oman?? Are you really as crazy as everybody makes you out to be? What about Iran? SKorea? Uzkeks? And even Saudi??? Christ man... they are all at least as good as the Omanis.

You are rightfully boasting that Japan has a better team than anyone else in Asia. their Defence is by far the best in Asia (Yes, all of you out there, even better than Jordan's). and their midfield is world-class. They have even prooven their depth with the their Asian Cup triumphs. In other words, you are right, if I had to bet on any team making it to Germany from the AFC, Japan would be it!

But boy, pipe down man, you almost make me feel bad for being a Japan supporter. Show some East Asian Pride! We've only got 3 EAsian nations as opposed to 5 Western ones (well Uzbek is iffy).

Anyways, Ganbare Nippon~!!! Zettai Doitsu ikuzo~!!

and I really really really want NKorea and SKorea drawn in the same group hehehe... I wouldn't miss that game for much at all

(and lastly, again Hamatachi.... show some grace, please?)

12. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    N. Korea may be the 5th team. They are improving on every game.

13. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    I think the 3 most likely to qualify are:
    Iran
    Japan
    South Korea

the 4th team, I think it will be very close.
    But I think Kuwait may be most likely to make it. Who can argue against it after a 6:1 win?

14. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Hmm. I don't know about that. Korea's B team recently beat Kuwait 4:0 in the last AC. Kuwait also played against Malaysia's B team today. I would say the 4th team should be North Korea! :cool:

15. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    We can hope for N Korea but I think it's the end of the road for them. Then again we don't know zip about their team so...

16. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Wow, Colin. Are you running for a political position in Japan? Very smoothly done. It will be Korea, Korea, Japan, Iran, ksa (1/2).

17. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

I agree about the first stage being competitive, well at least for iran anyways. As for Japan 1-0 victores are for pu$$ies like the greeks NT. 1-0 against a minnow team like singapour? 7-0 is the result a real team will accomplish against such opponents :cool: (not talking about china here :D )
    As for oman 0-0 against india? pathetic. I was impressed by their performance in AC but looks like it was a fluke after all.