Dp for real?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by themedicisoundsystem, Jan 15, 2011.

1. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I've only been on here for a few days but I've noticed people throwing names for future DP's easily around like the government and food stamps. Every team wants a DP and our market (LA) is perfect for attracting any big name. But just like the small markets that have to do some serious homework in getting one if they want to come we have AEG (Tim Liewieke) and Il Bruce's wants and needs to be met. Before the fans can see the DP of a 3rd kind certain pieces as in any deal have to fall perfectly in place. The dynamics at work in setting up a perfect DP signing resides in the balance between whats good for AEG's bottom line and on the field (Bruce Building a winner).

I thought why not challenge ourselves in scouring the net for a DP that might fit the criteria that one must meet to potentially becoming our 3rd DP. In this way we can have some serious discussion rather than just throwing anyone into the mix. So here are some factors to filter the NOT LIKELY DP from the IT COULD HAPPEN.

GALAXY DP CRITERIA:

1. Marketability - Has to be marketable someway somehow in order for AEG to pull the strings.

2. Team Requirements - Well this is very narrow as we can feel pretty sure in thinking that AEG would never sign a defender or goalkeeper.

3. Contract Situation - If a DP isn't gonna move the media, shirt sales and ticket sales needle chances are that will never be our DP for sure and wouldn't warrant AEG paying a transfer.

4. DP Interest - Has a potential DP specifically stated coming to play not just in MLS but is interested in LA specifically.

5. Age - disregard as long as we have Da Bruce running the show.

6. Ethnicity - Yes I know it shouldn't be a factor more than what a player can bring to the field. With AEG this WILL factor. We not only have a sizable Latino community, but also Japanese, Korean, Iranian, Latino, Latino and oh Latino.

7. Career Situation - What might be motivating a potential DP to come to club M(ed)LS, LA and bask in the American lifestyle for their final gig. Safe to say if a potential DP was a year removed from winning the Golden Ball to the Ballon D'Or playing in Europe, don't even mention that DP. NOT COMING!

So these are just the ones I can think of. If any of you can think of more to add by all means fire away. Again with this list I think we can filter the serious DP discussion from the well " your wasting my time" discussion which shouldn't last long.

2. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you be more specific, please?

3. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout Latin, Hispanic, Visigoth, Romainian.:)

4. NNE20

NNE20 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, because I brought up Francesco Totti earlier today in the rumor thread here's my take:

1. Marketability - One of the greatest, and most marketed, soccer stars over the last decade. I would say, in the US, he is as marketable as Henry.
    Example:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3X7gXgnvc"]YouTube - Pepsi "Totti" Twist[/ame]

2. Team Requirements - Striker/super creative

3. Contract Situation - Wouldn't move ticket sales, but I think it would increase shirt sales. It also would bring the LA Galaxy's name into almost every European news outlet for the next year.

4. DP Interest - Has stated interest in moving to MLS, specifically LA or NY.

5. Age - 34

6. Ethnicity - He's Italian...so not Latino.

7. Career Situation - On the outs at AS Roma and realizes his career is on a downward trend.

Conclusion: POSSIBLE DP. Not as marketable as a Latino superstar would be, but would fulfill Bruce Almighty's requirements.

5. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he could be marketable through his celebrity wife, whom I'm sure would love to hit the talk circuit. He is also good looking so with a good marketing campaign he could mive the needle slightly. He is Latino (Latino's here are not really latino's but HISPANIC, heck Romanians are more latin).

So we got Totti and Forlan has be tossed around so those two look like it could happen.

6. Calavera F.C

Calavera F.C New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hispanic is also an incorrect way to refer to most people from Mexico, Central and South America etc... :rolleyes:

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the preferred idiom?

8. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Latino, Latino and oh Latino.
    [/QUOTE]

So you want basically italians, Portuguese and Spaniards? How about Mutu? Raul? Damn Europeans!!!

9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This is why we didn't offer Buddle a DP contract and why Juan Pablo Angel was probably not offered a DP contract at first either. While they might help the product on the field, neither really move the needle from a marketing perspective.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Diego Forlan said he'd leave atletico for the right price

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'd like totti on the team though

----------------Angel------------------------
    -----------------------Totti------------------
    ----Donovan-----Juninho-------Beckham------
    -----------------Birchall----------------------
    ---AJ----Dunivant-----Gonzalez---Franklin-----
    ------------------Ricketts--------------------

12. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, you guys must be white.;)

Latino is just the general term used for people who descend from the Latin, or Romantic, language. Latin America refers to people who descend from the Latin language but live in the Americas. People in the Americas who speak Spanish will usually refer to themselves as Latinos, that is why the term is attached to them (us) here in the U.S. Hispanic is a term created by the U.S. Government in order to describe people who descend from Spain (i.e. Spanish descent). Hispanic comes from Hispaniol, which comes from Hesperia, which comes from Iberia, which is the peninsular in which Spain resides.

In Spain there is no Latino nor Hispanic. You are Castilian, Basque, Catalunyan, etc. So that is why the term gets muddle if we think about it globally rather than locally.

And besides, isn't this all semantics? Let's just talk football (or soccer if we want more semantical debates):D. Let's keeps everything focused on this mystery DP. God bless.

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone was criticized here for saying "Hispanic." I just wanted to make sure I was not using a derogatory term by accident. Don't know about "semantics" but language is important.

14. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    Don't ever tell someone of Basque descent that that they are Spanish! Don't ever tell a Spaniard that they are Basque.
    Really!

Steve

15. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure is. I understand completely. ;) God bless and enjoy the long weekend!:D

16. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, very true!

17. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are many Latinos...

18. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and I have to tell you guys what I keep telling my girlfriend, "Look, I know having another DP is a big fantasy for you, but all of the guys you're suggesting are uninterested, uninteresting, or seriously creepy."

19. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Including myself. I am often mistaken for a Gringo, even amongst my own.

I guess I should say European Americans, although that puts me there too as I can trace back my family to Spain. Crap what else could I use. Maybe Caucasians. But that just sounds too much like crustaceans and makes me hungry. How about white. Oh yeah, we just went over that...

Man, I have no clue what to call them:p Maybe W.A.S.P.s? But some our Catholic... Oh crap I am even more confused...:eek: So hard to classify people, but I guess we'll continue to try.;)

20. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look lets end this now. Those closes to being latino is Italians and Romanians. Central and South Americans got thier language from SPAIN which is loosely based off of Latin has is modern day French, Catalonian, Romanian etc. White English speaking Americans are described as ANGLO's and not GERMANICS. BTW the Basque lineage is closer to the Celts as is the people from Galicia (Deportivo La Caruna country). I can go on and on but I was hoping for more discussion on likeliest DP candidates.

21. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, I just want the DP not to be another has-been looking to vacation in LA. MLS is littered with career enders. I really hope that the DP we get isn't quite over-the-hill but rather someone that can help our team win for years to come. But I expect AEG to think money first and bring in someone for the immediate gratification. I like some that were suggested here, but not in a LAG shirt. Our team is already geriatric enough, bring in some new blood.

22. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout DP's including from A to M?

23. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basque are also french ;)

My posts had no ill will. Just something to do on this Saturday night as I work. I stand by my sig, so no worries.

24. themedicisoundsystem

Jan 11, 2011
    Cypress
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right where the Basque lands/region overlaps into France as well as Catalonia. But I'll just describe latinos as hispanics and hispanics as goat F**kers "Said Goat F**ker is rumored to be the Anglo Galaxy's next DP".

BTW I'm a white hispanic hienze 57 latino american of half cuban ancestory connected to multiple countries in europe and maybe some inbred muthatrukers with a hint of african in my pants. If it matters.

25. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    In Europe, you call them "latin"! Italians are called in England "latin"!

In Uruguay, we call only those with portuguese, italian and spanish names latin.