Doyle & Vermes named ODP Technical Directors for Super Y-League

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by kevbrunton, Mar 25, 2003.

1. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very dissappointing to me. Both players have had nice careers and have contributed a lot to US soccer, but what qualifications do these guys have to fill such an important player development post? I don't mind them getting an important position helping someone else head the program, but what specific qualifications will enable them to set the direction for Super Y league ODP? This comes across as a very, very sloppy appointment to me.

It is particularly dissappointing to me because I have been such an unapoligetic fan of the Super Y League. How is this type of appointment going to help the credibility of the league as the premier developer of top soccer talent? Extremely dissappointing.

3. FAN0011

FAN0011 New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Region1
    Big name players. No resume except their playing careers. If either player had an A lic., Super Y would have posted the info. Scouting should be done by qualified personnel. If either of these men are equipped to do the job properly is yet to be seen.

4. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: Doyle & Vermes named ODP Technical Directors for Super Y-League

Well at least we are walking to the right direction this people are related to soccer....But what about DON GARBER ...and some other ones who come for NFL... LET GIVE A CHANCE, RISE EXPECTATIONS, if they do not work....NEXTTT...

5. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I do not get it .....

This is the way things are done on the soccer world..probably USA is the only place where coaches are develop thru training...all over the world 98% of coaches come from EXPERIENCE... having JUPPIES and soccer mom scouting for soccer players is a non sense...

6. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I do not get it .....

I do agree that a pro coach can often jump right in after his playing career ends and be successful. Martin O'Neill comes to mind, but the list of players that have made an instant transition to successful managers is long. David Moyes is another one.

My experience has been that amongst coaches that work in player development, it usually takes them several years to come into their own, no matter how good of a player they were. I remember John Ellinger from as far back as 1980, and it is safe to say that he is a different professional and a different person today than he was back then. It isn't that he was bad back then, its just that his years of experience are what allow him to so successfully set the direction of our under 17 academy today.

I wouldn't mind if these guys were hired to help someone else so that they can get their feet wet without having the responsibility for the direction of ODP for such an important league, but putting these guys in this situation at this stage of their career is unfair to them and unfair to the players they are in charge of developing.

I can't support these selections, particularly because there is no model in place for these guys to follow. I am very disappointed in the Super Y. This was an important decision and it was not thought through.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    The good thing about this one is that both of these guys have played in MLS. Whether or not they realize that the youth game MUST undergo a MAJOR CHANGE is another question.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: I do not get it .....

So far there is not a warranty that a professional soccer player will be a TOP COACH... But an exceptional coach will show results in one season, this individual will transform a team from average to an aggresive fast and coordinated attack team a classic example is KOREA 2002 this team when from average to one of the best on the world cup all this as a result of a TOP COACH there are some good people here in USA but a sistem have to be set up to find them, so far the philosophy of a coach carrousell persist and it does not seem to be any talks about any change....

9. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: I do not get it .....

Good point. I would agree that that is the problem.

10. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whip,

I just want to clarify. I think your point is extremely perceptive.

11. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    The only thing I would point out is that their main responsibility will not be to coach teams per se, but to organize the process by which the best players in Super Y-League are selected for further evaluation in regional identification weekends, and to select the four regional teams for Super Y ODP.

I think the key will be for them to get the right people in each of the regions and to utilize those people, and the national staff coaches who will also be on hand, heavily when making the selections. I don't know all of the staff who have been pointed thus far but many of those I do see are well thought of in youth soccer coaching circles.

As always, time will tell.

12. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Vermes

It's too bad Peter didn't make into broadcasting.

He could be top dog (remember the WC?)

That said if it's an organizational thing I think he'll do well. He's articulate, an analyst of the game, etc.

As far as coaching, on the basis of his skill set, he would rank high above Doyle. Add in his observation powers he displayed as an announcer and you might have something.

13. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that worse? Shouldn't they be some of the good people that are put into the process, rather than the ones defining it? Why would you have people cut their teeth, in what will be a new profession for them(yes, they have been is soccer, but player development is different), on an important job that has not even been clearly defined? At least let's get the job established before we even think about making this kind of selection.

I think most people agree that these are good people and, let's face it, they may someday be the right people for the job. I just don't understand why now.