Down with the ESPY Awards...

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by johno, Jul 17, 2003.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Come to think about it, I hate the American Media period... but I'm pissed about the ESPY's and alot of other things... How the hell does Ronnaldo get Soccer Player of the Year... Idiots at the Espy's need to stick to what they know... in fact, they should be all about American Athletes because no one else gets a fair shake anyway... they named Tony Stewart (Nascar Driver) Driver of the year... the man floors it and turns left.. he has no talent, certainly not compared to Michael Schmacher... and I dont like Mike... so keep international atheltes out of your dumb awards... I mean Ronnaldo? player of the year??? for what... he was not even the best player on his team...

2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    The ESPY's are simply a popularity contest, maybe even more so than the Oscars, Grammys and Emmys. Therefore the American media (who admittedly don't really know much about international soccer) voted for the most well-known player on the World Cup Champions even if he wasn't the best player on the team.

3. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I think the voting was between Ruiz, Donovan, Fridel, Ronaldo, Beckham, and Kahn.

It was a stupid list of nominees. Beckham wasn't the best for Man U last year and Ronaldo wasn't the best for Real Madrid last year. It is obviously a popularity contest. I voted for Fridel btw.

It should be left to American athletes that ESPN knowns or ESPN could get a clue and then they could make it the world's best but this list is neither. How can Ruiz be on the same list at the rest of those guys?

4. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Didn't you all like the soccer clips they showed at th....

.....oh sorry I must have been dreaming.

5. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Freidal got my vote, why in God's name is Carlos Ruiz on that list?

6. ussoccer1001

ussoccer1001 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I didn't see the ESPY Awards but I am guessing... Ronaldo wasn't there to accept his award, was he?

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oh come now man! Ruiz is so world class, he must hold a candle to the likes of Beckham and Ronaldo! ;)

8. VampyreGTX

VampyreGTX New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    How they got the nominations I don't know. The final voting however, was for people that logged on to ESPN. ESPN did not pick the individual sport winners. It was all fan voting.

9. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i also voted for Friedel b/c i wanted someone who spoke english to win so they could be there and make a speech, but i thought all along Ronaldo would win it because that's who people think is the best.

10. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well think about it. He is better than Beckham, ,Ruiz, Donavon, and he did score a bunch of goals for Madrid and Brazil. Kahn had a great WC but a mediocre club season. Friedel plays for a mediocre club though he has a great season and had a solid WC. I think Ronaldo is the best choice.