Dow jones plunges 512 points in one day; nasdaq down 136; s&p down 60

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You will be more like China

A nation with vast wealth concentrated in a few number of hands

2. Just like the financial crisis a couple of years ago caused by dodgy mortgages.
    You could buy houses on the cheap. Nobody was buying/could buy.
    I was tempted to buy a house I saw pareded on tv for a very low price right next to a golf venue. Until I saw on building programms on tv how American houses are built, basically cardboard. It explained why I saw nothing standing in a neighbourhood in California after huge forest fires. Only things still standing were chimneys.

3. And the introduction of slavery 2.0

4. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been headed for third world status for some time. Wealth in the hands of a tiny minority. Government increasingly designed to support the needs of that tiny minority. Reduction in ability for non wealthy to achieve redress from government. Reduction in power and size of middle class. Loss of manufacturing and pensions. Loss of unions. Lack of functioning government. Lack of leadership. High incarceration rate. Lack of infrastructure.

I could go on, but why?

5. :D
    You know why:p

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    AMZN anD FB crusheD earnings

Boandlkramer repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    As did UPS.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I see that as more 2nd world

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a journey begins with one step ....

luftmensch repped this.
  10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as if the Trump Presidency is performance art to strip away the false ideological claims of the Republican Party.

1. Small federal government? jk
    2. State's rights? jk
    3. No deficit? jk
    4. "Family values"? jk
    5. Strong on the economy? jk

There is nothing left apart from White Supremacy. That's it. It's everyone against the racists and those who are too stupid or too greedy to realize or to care that they are working for the racists.

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This is what I've been saying since 2015. All the ideological underpinnings of the Republican Party have now been abandoned except for white ethno-nationalism.

crazypete13 and chad repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Huh?
    #1 priority of GOP for decades has been lower taxes for millionaires.

jmartin1966 repped this.
  13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For the last year and a half, there were plans to make my department permanent work from home. A month or so before the pandemic got serious, we started the permanent work from home. I was somewhat against it at first, as I liked getting out of my home. Now? You'd have to pay me handsomely and then some to get me to come in once a week.

It's been mentioned on here that office buildings have been in a bubble for a while.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah. And those people are now in the Lincoln Project wondering why 98% of the party abandoned them.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...s-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

"Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects..."

I imagine next week when the eviction stories start to explode and the unemployment numbers jump, I'll have one or two posts in this thread to register my dismay and then I'll have to stop to avoid my anger getting the better of me.

16. Worldwide real estate investor Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield (URW) is in trouble. They need a capital infusion, while the stock price has gone down severly.
    They are in the same boat as other branche members. These funds own shopping malls all over the world and due to the corona virus renters of shops can't pay the rents.

17. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    I put the start at 1981

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So shortest bear market ever it seems

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/wha...p-again-after-reaching-highest-level-eve.html

19. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1819 MattR, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    I'm right there with you. I can't seem to understand that a global pandemic that is effecting entire sectors of the economy (like travel, hospitality, conferences, meat packing, real estate, sporting events and teams, theater & entertainment) is somehow NBD and Wall Street thinks things are going to be just a-ok.

[​IMG]
    Some of these colors are doomed for the foreseeable future. (from https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/economy/spotlight/economics-insights-analysis-07-2019.html)

I guess the problem I have is that I've been told the big issue with Wall Street is they focus on short-term immediate results. But now, that the short-term immediate results are going to suck, they've changed their mind and are now focusing on long-term "After Corona" (A.C.) numbers to justify stocks continuing to rise.

Or is it that the online companies are doing so well it doesn't matter that American Airlines lost $2.1 billion last quarter.

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Wall Street thinks things are going to be just a-ok" ...because Wall Street simply does not care.

It is all about shifting money around and scraping some off of the top, or sides, or bottom. Wall Street just does not give a crap.

russ repped this.
  21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But this is just silly-- "giving a crap" is no part of Wall Streets mission. Not what it is for. Wall Street is for figuring out where money is to be made, found, or stored. That's all it is about, period. You can argue that is has lost perspective on the balance between short term gains and long term productivity and stability, and I often do.

But it isn't for saving puppies puppies and babies from hot cars; at best it is for funding programs that save babies and puppies from hot cars,,,

ceezmad repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #1822 song219, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    All Wall Street really is are a bunch of rich people looking for a bank. They make a lot of money and what the have made they don't want to see lose value and they want to be semi-liquid.
    Thus they buy stocks. This is opposed to them buying corporate bonds, government bonds, gold, silver or whatever store of value they can get into or out of quickly.
    Take little stock in people who tell you that it is a predictor of future corporate earnings.

xtomx repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was going to post something like this yesterday but forgot to. One can argue they have actually benefited from Covid, and peoples lifestyle changes. A quote from the article yesterday said something along the lines of you would need 125 American airlines to account for the market cap of Microsoft. (I don't know if I got the companies right, but the idea stays the same.)

Having said that, always planning ahead, the market has priced in one or a few of the Covid vaccines to be successful this winter.

Another factor is the need for fund managers to rotate money into attractive sectors during the pandemic. This is technology stocks like the ones you mentioned. And what does that do? it simply pumps up the heavily weighted S&P issues.

russ repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the growth in recent years is driven by a few tech companies who are doing just fine if not strengthened by the Pandemic.