Dow jones plunges 512 points in one day; nasdaq down 136; s&p down 60

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When it became a proxy for how well the economy was doing as a whole. It's funny that social study and psychology students all know that when a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure, but - at least from all my experience in corporate America - business people aren't taught that.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January 20, 1981? Or August 5, 1981.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "The stock market is a graph of rich people's feelings"

jmartin1966, Boandlkramer and spejic repped this.
  4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is the greatest wealth redistribution this country has ever seen.......

People rioting while Wal street is looting the treasury

spejic repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But they also believe in pulling oneself up by the bootstraps; and this is such pulling on a national scale.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I look to my right of this page, I see this.

[​IMG]

Good work, Brad.

NORML and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, many of the lost jobs, the old jobs, will not come back, but there will be new jobs. Many of the lost businesses will not come back, but there will be new businesses. There will be an adjustment period, but the economy will evolve and recover.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem we face is that many of the new jobs will require skills that people doing old jobs may not have, or they may have to move to where the new jobs are.

That will anger people and make them vote for a populist that tells them that he can get the old jobs back.

argentine soccer fan and celito repped this.
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is an opinion piece not an article but it does show how badly the coal industry is doing now despite Trump's promises.
    To be totally fair, Obama did make a quote about "clean coal."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a8bed6-accd-11ea-9063-e69bd6520940_story.html
    Trump pledged to bring back coal. Like everything under him, it collapsed instead

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    POWELL: FED IS PROBABLY 'SOME YEARS AWAY' FROM HALTING ASSET PURCHASES

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Or "send Donald Trump some birthday wishes" So I dusted off the Goatse email and signed it "Love Jared"

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes. It’s been known to happen.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Will Trump lose any coal miners' votes? Yeah, I thought not. It never really was about the jobs.

Cascarino's Pizzeria, xtomx and SetPeace repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeh-- I think it was/is really about the people who let the world change on 'em.

At least they can cause a little of the same sort of discomfort, even if they can't change it back...

JohnR repped this.
  15. They should point to the raving lunatic and say he was going to bring back the old jobs, but instead more were lost. So very good choice...are you sure?

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    SEC puts Hertz stock sale on hold. Former SEC chairman Pitts called the offering "garbage"

The Securities and Exchange Commission told Hertz that the regulator has issues with its plan to sell stock while the rental car company is in the middle of bankruptcy proceedings.

“In this particular situation we have let the company know that we have comments on their disclosure,” SEC Chairman Jay Clayton said Wednesday on CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.” “In most cases when you let a company know that the SEC has comments on their disclosure they do not go forward until those comments are resolved.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/the...-to-sell-stock-chairman-jay-clayton-says.html

Pitts comment

As an intellectual proposition, most securities experts had always thought you could offer garbage for sale to the public as long as you said ‘we are offering you garbage, and you really shouldn’t buy this but you have a chance to buy it,’” Pitt said. “No one ever really anticipated that people would be gullible enough to do that.”

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC reporting that Americans have skipped payment on 105 million loans. Of them, 79 million are student loans.

Chirp chirp

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, the student loan servicers have been "automatically" putting borrowers into deferments, so that may have something to do with it.

I had to specifically request NOT to have my student loans deferred by both servicers.

If I can continue to pay, I will continue to pay. Save the deferments for those who need them.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's outrageous. Why are they doing that?

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will assume your response is sarcastic, but just in case, here is an answer:
    An attempt to give students a "break" from paying back their student loans during a pandemic (when tens of millions are out of work, and tens of millions more are working less), perhaps?

21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Not this guy! :thumbsup:

student loan.jpg

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am being serious. Are they telling students about these deferments, or just doing it for them? If I were someone trying to pay down my student loans, I would want to be told in advance. I would want to be given clear opt-in, opt-out instructions.

Maybe the loan companies are doing this and my concerns are misplaced. Hence my query.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I received a letter, saying my loans would be deferred, due to COVID-19.
    To be honest, I do not recall the actual language, but I had to go into my account and affirmatively select that I wanted to keep paying (not that I want to pay, but I should if I can).

With that explanation, I can see your "outrageous" comment as being serious, since I was somewhat taken aback by it.

Here is the official government announcement from "way" back in March:

Your payments will automatically stop from March 13, 2020, through Sept. 30, 2020.

To provide relief to student loan borrowers during the COVID-19 national emergency, federal student loan borrowers are automatically being placed in an administrative forbearance, which allows you to temporarily stop making your monthly loan payment. This suspension of payments will last until Sept. 30, 2020, but you can still make payments if you choose.

Read the borrower Q&As below to learn more.
    https://studentaid.gov/announcement...ive forbearance ends,resume at the new amount.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is America so any interest not paid in the period of the deferment will be taxed as income. :D

Dr. Wankler, American Brummie and xtomx repped this.
  25. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those tax cuts for the 1% aren't going to pay for themselves!

xtomx repped this.