Dow down 500!

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Anthony, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than the Toll Brothers stock you bought last January when you were telling everyone how the housing market was going to turn around and not affect the rest of the economy. You couldn't have been more wrong if you actually put effort into trying. And best yet, I'm actually up almost 2% since October and this should be pretty much the worst it will get for my non-mortgage-holding financials. Come on, Bernake, lower them rates again! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LOL! Toll Brothers? Interesting, but I still don't see it in my portfolio. Glad you're up, but it ain't on that call you gave us regarding financials in October.

Any way, I wish you luck. May we both make lots o' money.

3. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The secret to making money in the stock market is to buy low and sell high. My sense is that it is getting close to low, and almost time to dig up that tin can I buried in the back yard after the '04 election and put it back into the U.S. stock market.

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm not sure we're getting close to low yet. I think that there are some selected stocks which have been oversold, but the market is still pretty skittish. I also don't think we've seen the earnings estimates for '08 drop enough.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I had to rep you for that contribution. ;)

6. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It needs to be said. Too many people buy when everybody else tells them it's comfortable (e.g., when it has already gotten high) and sell when everybody else tells them it's uncomfortable (when it has already gone back down). This is the secret to losing money in the stock market. As a contrarian, my view is that you can pretty much tell what to do with your stock market money by finding out what ordinary people who have good common sense about things like what clothes to wear think, and do the opposite!

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow will be rough, lot's of blood in the streets.

8. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Right now I'm only investing through my 401(k), so I'm glad the funds are going down in price so I can gobble up shares while they are down.

A lot of emotion is put into portfolios. And acting on emotion is the worst kind of financial action.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun-filled day on Wall Street...

[​IMG]

9. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Asia got creamed today too, and that was coming off huge losses last week. Crappy structured debt products are anywhere and everywhere. People are very uncertain and Bernanke and Bush's shaky performance last week probably made things worse. - January 22, 2008 is shaping up to be quite a memorable day.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Man, I hope they keep falling. All of this action is driving down bond yields which mean I get a better rate when I refinance.

Sachin

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Thats a good point, but picking the lows and highs is the tough part. Its all relative. So unless you are going average into a position over time and buy/sell at different levels, its very hard. And even then, if you do so, and it keep moving against you, you will be forced to hold alot longer than you had hoped, or get out for some pain.

Well some indicators/studies exist that currently study what the "retail crowd" (mom and pop investors) are doing just for that purpose.