Don't we play Atlanta tonight?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by K.P., Aug 9, 2002.

1. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen any mention of it on here. This game and the next seem like a good time to rest some players. I'd play Sheppard and Klinger. Seriously, Klinger. He needs to prove his worth or be cut, and there's no better time to do it than tonight.
    I'd try and keep Rodrigo and Andy Williams from playing a full game, since they need to get some rest as well. We need them to be healthy when the current crop of injured guys return. I read Davis should be back in a week so if we can survive Guadalajara then our midfield should improve.

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Here's the pregame talk and all of that...courtesy of metrostars.com....

http://metrostars.com/gameday/2002/index.htm

Here's the official squad.... including new signing and world traveler Jeff Cassar.

Name No. Pos. Ht. Wt. 2001 Club

Cole Burgman 1 GK 6'2 185 Nashville Metros
    Bryheem Hancock 13 GK 6'3 165 College:U of Conn.
    Jeff Cassar 30 GK 6'2 198 Bolton Wanderers
    Carl Fletcher 3 D 5'9 175 Rochester Rhinos
    Jason Annicchero 19 D 6'3 200 Atlanta Silverbacks
    GilbertJean-Baptiste 5 D 6'0 180 Charleston Battery
    Byron Mitchell 15 D 5'11 172 Cleveland Crunch
    James Wall 6 D 6'2 170 Nashville Metros
    Alan Woods 2 D 6'0 170 New England Revolution
    Carlos Parra 4 M 6'1 175 Atlanta Silverbacks
    Ryan Leib 10 M 5'11 175 Charlotte Eagles
    Nate Hetherington 7 M 5'7 150 San Diego Flash
    Jordy Broder 9 M 5'9 165 College: Appalachian St.
    Philippe Godoy 18 M 5'4 150 Milwaukee Rampage
    Brian Piesner 20 M 5'9 160 Charleston Battery
    Tony Kuhn 23 F 6'2 170 Memphis Express
    Jon Akin 11 F 5'10 160 Charleston Battery
    Ignace "Iggy" Moleka 14 F 5'9 170
    Jamel Mitchell F 6'1 195 Rochester Rhinos
    John Barry Nusum 8 F 6'1 204 Furman University
    Velko Iotov 21 F 5'11 175 Charleston Battery

3. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Anybody want to take dibs on who else gets injured in this meaningless match? I got first right to Alvarez....

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Where in our past have we ever proven to be that lucky?

The should just call this the "audition for Alvarez' roster spot" match.

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    And, just for laughs, we are currently trailing in the second half after surrendering a goal to the immortal Tony Kuhn in the 44th minute.

If the metros lose, I nominate this as the most embarassing week in metro history. It's not the absolute worst, but should at least get top 5. Just to recap: beaten by the Crew in someone else's park to crash out of the Open Cup (again), Metros get pantsed by a 70k turn out for a Euro friendly, then they top the week off by mailing it in against a minor league affiliate of ours. And the topper, we have the Chivas game to look forward to on Wednesday.

NY/NJ Metrostars. It's your game, we're your team- paper bags available...

(and yes, I realize it's unfair to blame the guys for taking a night off in a meaningless friendly so that they don't get hurt for the stretch run, but if the players we have can't beat an A league team, what good are they?).

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Metros lose 1-0.

And there it is, Metros lose 1-0. They are now calling it the 43' minute on the goal.

Can it get any worse?

I can't wait to see if there is an injury report. Watch us lose Faria. Why did we play this game again?

7. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    I can't believe it. We lost to a f*(king A-league affiliate. We suck nuts. OZ and Nick need to go. make more trades. Get rid of players. Bring in Costacurta, hell bring in Pele, he could f^cking do better than our Metros. And he's sixty! I cannot believe how terrible this team is playing right now. Bring in Mathis's boyfriend, bring in the Army college kids. Bring in the guys from Secaucus who play pick up games. Bring in the mascot, hell I'll even suit up and take the pitch and do better than the team we field now!

I hope the Metro players read this and it makes them angry as all hell, they should be, they are a pathetic bunch of poor excuse players. Wake up guys.

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    We don't even know who was in our lineup. 2nd game in 2 days, and probably treated as a scrimmage by our banged-up team. WE should have been resting and healing instead of travelling to Atlanta. I saw this coming the other night at Mitchel; I'm neither surprised nor discouraged beyond normal, all things considered.

WE aren't the only MLS team to lose to an A-League side. I think they even have bigger rosters than we do. Makes you wonder which League is the real 1st division.

Considering the market we're in, Metro should be the best managed team in MLS. It has never been better than mediocre in that area.

9. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    I attended this game. Don't know why the Silverbacks wasted their time playing the Metrostars. Stars suck. Backs should have won 4-0. This game was no fluke.

10. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    And who exactly played for the Metros in this game? I know Balboa, Ramos, Davis, and Mathis didn't. It's a fair guess that Diallo and Howard didn't. Did Faria play? Petke? Jolley? Williams? Exactly how many 1st team players actually saw the pitch in this game that made it worthwhile enough to judge it "no fluke" and say that "Stars suck?" Our coaching sucks. Our talent pool is one of the best in the league.

JMac

11. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    1-0? Well, look at the bright side.....at least we're not giving up 3 goals a game anymore.

Martin Klinger played the whole match while Sam Forko and Byron Alvarez played most of the game. Also, Sheppard, Grafer and Marco Velez (who's he?) were starters.

Taking all this into consideration, you can say that an A-League side defeated a B-League side.

12. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. This week has to be the low point in the season. Tonight's match and the wednesday match are relatively meaningless, and a lot more bad can come from them then good. The key right now is to make it through wednesday's game healthy and to start re-building the team so that as people come off the disabled list we can steadily improve, right into and through the playoffs.

I actually give OZ credit for starting Sheppard and Klinger. Hopefully he now sees that Klinger is never going to score, not in MLS and not in the A-League. But that's a side issue. Faria and Petke were used sparingly, which is good. It's a shame we had to play Williams the whole game; hopefully he won't go the full ninety on Wednesday.

Despite the current lows the core of our team is still quite good. The key right now is how soon people can come off the injured list. Hopefully we'll get news on that soon. If people know anything please post it. Davis is supposed to be ready next saturday. If Diallo is too I think we can get a result against Dallas and build from there.

13. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Marco Velez sounds familiar. Is he from Metro Black?

JMac

15. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jamison's on to something with the brown bags

hey, the saints are sort of good now, maybe it pays off

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I think breaking out the brown paper bags again is a bit premature. They were brought out the first time when the entire organization was crap. The GM was crap, the players were crap and the coaches were crap. Right now, I think we have the players to win the cup. When healthy (not including Balboa) we have one of the strongest teams in the league. I don't think our GM is lousy (the NE trade was a stroke of genius, but he's screwed up some too). Our only area of pitiful performance is the coach. He plays people who should never see the pitch. He won't change the formation to fit the team (which is why Petke and Jolley have had sub-par seasons). His line-ups, subs and tactics are all highly questionable. Should OZ go? Yup. Is it anywhere near as bad as the Stillitano/Bora era that first gave birth to the brown paper bag brigade? No way.

JMac

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This was a match that should have been played by our reserve team? If we ever actually get one beyond Metro Black -- actually, they should have played this match.

OR -- if we had a 25-man roster, we could have played our entire bench. We did anyway, but with an 18-man roster, and 5 of them out injured, we had to bring in a guest in order to rest 2 (!) players, and one of them was subbed into the 2nd half anyway.

As long as we have 18-man rosters, all friendlies should be politely refused during the season. And I mean all. Between injuries and travel our team is left exhausted. It's first duty is to perform for MetroStar fans -- to be in shape to play a professional game in front of people who bought tickets.

I don't know who sets up these side-bar adventures, but whoever it is needs a one-way ticket to Palookaville.

18. soccerdad

soccerdad Member

Dec 27, 1998
    montclair nj
    Since Atlanta beat the Metro and Metro beat Bayern Munich I'd say Atlanta is the best team in the world.

19. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Petke, Jolley and Williams all played. So did Zaide. No Big Mamma. No Faria. You consider Faria one of your good players? Ouch.

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Faria was rookie of the year last seson; he does score a lot of our goals. Sorry you don't approve.

Petke entered in the 59th minute; he played, but only after the the goal had been scored in the 1st. half. It was on a break-away. Could Mike have stopped it? Maybe, maybe not.

Obviously the result lets Atlanta crow and strut. It's meaningless to us, except for wear and tear on the few healthy players we have. Would a win have really mattered compared with a weekends rest? Ask the players if you can't figure out this one.

Again, as long as the rosters remain at 18 all friendlies should be refused during the regular season.

21. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Actually, Faria did play. Guess he was so useless I did not even notice. The game was meaningless to the Silverbacks as well. Would much rather post a win against the Rampage or the Rhinos than in some friendly against the Metrostars.

Games like this remind us all that the MLS is not very good.