Don't buy gas on May 15

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scarecrow, May 5, 2007.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gas is not at a shortage so that "No Gas" really isn't applicable.
    You don't find it odd that so called competing gas stations all raise their prices on the same day to the same amount and then all lower their prices on the same day by the same amount??

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/06/news/economy/gasoline/index.htm?cnn=yes

What would be nice is if people quit pretending that there actually is a free market when it comes to oil and gas and also for the oil industry and the auto industry be made to actually do something with the patents they hold on alternate fuel engines.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These whippersnappers don't remember when the price of gas was $1.25 in 1973. Adjusting for inflation it was more expensive then and automobile gas mileage was far worse.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not in shortage because they raise the price high enough so that demand is lessened to equal supply. You can't base a price on what is "reasonable" without regard to amount or cost of supply.
    It's too free for my taste. The market has valued oil far far to low - each barrel adds something like $500 to the GNP, and it should be priced far closer to that. And they have no sense of the future. Once we start on the downward leg of the supply curve, the price is going to explode upward - we should be making oil an unattractive item price-wise right now.
    They are all crap anyway.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually look at the post just above yours and you will see that even adjusting for inflation the prices now are the highest ever.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    That's not what the article said.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I misread that part.

Lets try it again.

We are a whole 6 cents short, which at the rate things are going we will pass this month or next.

7. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    Not to mention the very sophisticated interplay between oil companies and governments across the globe. The only real "free" bit is how much we decide to buy.
    Let's not forget that the four-cylinder engine, the manual transmission and public transport are all widely available, proven technologies on the market RIGHT NOW that reduce fuel consumption.

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i dont drive anymore anyway, but ok!

9. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you all noticed that when the price of gas goes down, Americans start buying SUVs and big pickup trucks (80's and 90's) and usage goes up, then when the price goes up (2000's), SUV/Truck sales fall and Americans start buying small cars and hybrids?

So, assuming the price of gas today is higher because of some kind of collusion between the gas suppliers. What would the 'free-market price' be? And if much lower than today, what do you suppose would happen with demand?

You know what I think? We would end up with $3 gas.

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Is there going to be a reverse boycott some other day? I'd be all over that! A day in which if you buy gas you are telling The Man "damn gas is too cheap, and maybe that's why we're driving everywhere and f'ing up the environment. We demand $15 a gallon!!!"
    I agree with whomever said earlier that if you think gas is too expensive, find a way to use less. Those Prius are actually very nice.

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Prius sucks ass. Whilee the engine is fantastic, the sightlines from the drivers seat are downrigt scary. The windshield is to heavily piched, there is not enough glass on the sides and the rear windshield has only about 12" of vertical view.

I'd rather drive a non hybrid Mazda 3 or a Honda Fit, both of which get excellent mileage than that death trap.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I never understood the rationale behind this argument. I know the "effect" of this would be to develop alternatives faster. But many people would suffer even more than they do with $3 gas. Spending on other sectors would drop precipitously as well. Groceries or getting to work? Millions of people would have to make that decision.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding--my stick-shift Toyota Echo gets a good 40 mpg. When traffic is good and I drive at a reasonable speed, I can edge even closer to 45 mpg.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. My wife bought one because 1) she wanted a hybrid for the HOV exception, and 2) we're pretty much a Toyota family. They make great cars.

But not this time. It's amazing how bad the sightlines are. She's adjusted to them and does pretty well now, but adjusting to all those breaks in your view is not fun.

16. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I am actually shopping for a car now, and gas mileage is a major consideration, test drove both Mazda 3 and a new Yaris (very impressed by the latter), but every Honda dealership within 30 mile radius from me does not have any Honda Fits in stock. :confused:

17. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a dick, but thanks captain obvious. ;)

18. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't think we should introduce a one-time tax that immediately drives it up to five dollars (I also don't think this should be done by the federal government), because the effects on inflation would be disastrous to the economy. However, I would be in support of a gradual increase that, say, raised the tax by a dollar over the course of one or two years.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yay, now I just saw it on the WGN news as well. So that's 2/5 Chicago news stations (NBC the other). At least WGN mentioned that previous boycotts have done nothing.

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this on a Tuesday, a work day, and not a Sunday where employees would appreciate it? Why isn't the boycott "Don't Use Petroleum on May 15th" instead of just burning it anyway but purchasing it on a different date. This is retarded IMO.

21. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was afraid of sounding a bit too snotty myself, but I read a few posts that made me think this concept was flying to far out of sight.

22. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Doesn't shock me.

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got this email a few weeks ago, followed by another email saying buy gas all you want on the 15th just stop buying from Shell or Exxon. Which to me sort of makes more sense because you will have to fill up eventually. If they don't get the money the 15th they make it up on the 14th or 16th. Not buying from the big two makes more sense

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This email is from Microsoft. It is their latest attempt at email tracking.

25. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    I'm not sure, but I doubt that boycotting Exxon and Shell gas stations will significantly impact the price of gasoline. Even if no one bought their gas at an Exxon station, I suspect that the Exxon owned refinery would still refine the same amount of gasoline (and just sell it to other retailer/jobbers).