News: Donovan says he has European offers, and is interested in saying yes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fortunately now Jozy is playing at the highest level, with that magnificent Sunderland team. Man, they play beautiful footie in England, no?

StillKickin repped this.
  2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I watch Sunderland pass the ball around, tears are brought to my eyes by the sheer magnificence and beauty of it.

Gorky and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tears are definitely brought to my eyes as well.

4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it magnificently beautiful or beautifully magnificent? my mere mortal brain cannot comprehend...

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
  8. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Obviously it's his life and career, and I appreciate that in a number of respects he's not a typical elite-level athlete in terms of his ambitions, but this time I am a wee bit, selfishly, disappointed. (And the Galaxy have really locked themselves in here with two 30+ attackers and a central defender as their DPs. But a discussion for a different thread, and this one is pretty much over.)

Welcome back, Landon! It hardly seems like you've been gone...

Geneva repped this.
  9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Ha, called it. There goes the thread

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Once he's signed the thread will be humanely put down. Then we'll sell its vital organs on the black market.

Dervos repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Are you asking who was the player that kept him out of the lineup at Leverkusen?

At the time, Leverkusen were playing a diamond 4-4-2. Donovan was for most of his time there back-up to Robson Ponte, who played as the attacking tip of that midfield diamond. Ponte wasn't playing badly, and in retrospect center-midfield probably wasn't the ideal position for Donovan, but there were I believe a decent number of Leverkusen fans at the time who thought Donovan should have been given a lot more minutes based on his play in the limited minutes he did get.

Anyway, en route to their last Champions League victory, Liverpool dismantled Leverkusen in the first knockout round of the tournament. After Leverkusen were defeated 3-1 in the opening leg, Donovan was finally in the second leg given the keys to a Leverkusen side missing a number of players to injury and suspensions (from the first leg) and trying to dig themselves out of a seemingly insurmountable hole. He had looked lively in a substitute appearances in that first leg. Unfortunately Donovan had seen very little time in the role he was expected to play leading up to the match, which was effectively as a midfield general, and he wasn't even given a start in the two league matches between those fixtures. So Donovan and the entire makeshift Leverkusen lineup (but yes Donovan especially) struggled just as badly in the second leg as the team had in the first, and Liverpool cruised to victory. Leverkusen's manager scapegoated Donovan and buried him on the bench after this, and soon after Donovan sought a return to MLS. Those were dark days around here.

Ponte was permanently benched (later sold) almost immediately after Donovan left. But, Leverkusen also switched formations to a more typical 4-4-2, so if Donovan had stuck around he either would have been competing with Berbatov or Voronin for a spot up top (which would have been very difficult at the time) or he would have had to beat out Paul Freier or Jacek Krzynowek at one of the wide midfield positions, and Donovan wasn't really thought of as a wide midfielder back then. Their manager was sacked at the very start of the next season as well.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Be careful on the silk road....

13. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    #189 wsmaugham, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    In fairness, Donovan actually played Champions League football while Dempsey did not. How he played is another story.

Edit: I see this has been covered.

14. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    #190 wsmaugham, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Robson Ponte. Although Donovan was clearly being groomed for the following year. Ponte was off to Japan.

Edit: this as well.

One thing that should be pointed out that while the coach may not have valued Donovan after his Champion's League debacle, the club clearly did. Rumors were that Donovan did not want to return to Germany but that he relented to constant pressure from Leverkusen. And it was him, not Leverkusen, that angled for a return to MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Everybody always references the second leg with Liverpool, and there is no doubt that Donovan's confidence faded with every touch in that match. It was gut-wrenching to watch, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

As was mentioned above, he played in the first leg as well and was easily one of the better players for either team that day. So much so, that it was assumed by many fans that he would probably be starting the next league match. When he didn't, there was some criticism for the coach. As injuries and suspensions mounted, it became apparent that Leverkusen was going to have to field a make-shift side for the 2nd leg. Yet despite having a couple of relatively easy games preceding the CL game, the manager chose not to play Donovan.

It was never going to be anything but a disaster. Donovan played poorly, and was singled out, but only because the whole team was horrible and they kept trying in vain to force play through him. Liverpool had learned from the first match that they needed to keep LD in check and they did. They pressured him like crazy and he wilted.

I had a German friend at the time who was a big BL supporter. He said that a lot of fans believed that upper management was pressuring the coach to start Donovan and that he was resentful. It is hard to say that the coach expected Donovan to fail, but it was unlikely that BL was ever going to pull out an aggregate victory even with a full side, and he had to know that they were doomed from the first whistle.

Dervos, chad, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yup, called it too. No need to fix what is not broken.

An old American in Europe is likely to ride pine, or play in the Chivas USA of a big league. or play in some little league making little money. Guy's too much of a legend to put up with that.

17. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    as predicted by many Donovan re-signs with LAG.

Legend for national team but no ambition at club level.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agreed.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Far better to have played and lost then never to have played at all?

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goal has always been World Cups.

21. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Landon continues at this level in the MLS I can be satisfied. It might be interesting to see competition between him and Dempsey for best American in the MLS. I know he's settling in/adjusting to turf, but I thought Dempsey played poorly last Sunday night - too many blind turns with the ball into defenders, a bad habit from his earlier years at Fulham (and much of last year with Spurs). I get he was "tryna make stuff happen."

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Landon played and lost; Dempsey has never played at all.

I have a feeling, though, based on other posts by you, you seem to believe it's the other way around.

Dervos repped this.
  23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I made my peace with Donovan and MLS when he turned 30. It never made sense to transfer abroad after that, taking it easy in MLS made much more sense at that point.

PS: Don't do any stupid loan moves either.

24. Alexisonfire

Alexisonfire Member

Jun 30, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all saw this coming... No surprise here.