News: Donovan says he has European offers, and is interested in saying yes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/donovan-open-move-abroad-no-deal-l-213552546.html

Not sure if this passes the YA test for Donovan (which is probably pretty steep), but I thought this was pretty interesting.

"Right now I am enjoying myself, I want to continue enjoying myself, we have received offers from teams in different countries that are intriguing," Donovan told Fox Sports' Fox Soccer Daily on Monday.
    "I am still going to speak with the Galaxy and see how they value me and see where they want to go, going forward, but I am really open in a way that I haven't been before in the past.

-----

There's a couple more quotes there, but I pasted, and then bolded what I thought was the most important factors.

A) I think he took note of Dempsey's contract - and he's just a year younger than Landon. It's generally acknowledged that Donovan is the best attacking American alive (though perhaps we'll be talking about Jozy at the end of the year). Will MLS pay him like it? You can't take much from just a single sentence, but his talk about how LA values him, makes me wonder about that. You can argue that Landon is the best player in MLS - and should be paid like it.

B) This sounds like he wants a permanent move to Europe, given that in the past he's had 3 different loans to Europe, "haven't been before in the past" is an interesting way to put it.

Wonder where those offers are from.

Testudo repped this.
  2. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if he'd have Premier League offers. I'm sure the relegation fodder teams would be interested, but I doubt that would be a good move for him at this point. Maybe a move to Sunderland to play with Jozy. I'm not overly impressed with their attacking options besides Jozy and Giaccherini. Sounds like Sess might be moving on too.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    As a free transfer, who's still VERY good - I think teams that are in CL, and competing for CL spots would be very interested in him. What's the downside?

NyUSSoccerfan repped this.
  4. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Moyes would be keen on bringing him back

5. Not if he values his job.

I personally believe that Donovan would fit in very well there as a league cup and CL player and as an option similar to how Park was used, but Moyes needs to show that he isn't treating United like he did Everton. Of course he did well with what he was given at Everton, but United supporters will want him to bring in players like Van Persie and Rooney.

You want to see rioting, let Moyes only signing in the offseason be a 31 year old out of contract American.

Maitreya and wixson7 repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUT, if he picks up a couple big names, and adds LD as a third bargain-buy type solution he will look like a genius.

schrutebuck and atomicskiracer repped this.
  7. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No downside. I was just trying to think of where he'd fit in. Really can't see him at United, City, Chelsea, or Arsenal. Doubt Spurs would go for him after the Dempsey experiment. Liverpool seems possible, though they seem to be trending towards youth. I'd say the most likely landing destinations in the EPL would be mid-table clubs that might be pushing for Europa League- Sunderland, Everton (maybe most likely??), Stoke (if their fans could stand another American).

If he wants Champions League, he might have to try a different country. He could probably land with a top French team. I could see Monaco being interested. I'm sure some top teams in Italy would be interested on a free (Roma??).

What's certain is that he will have options out the a$$.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While Landon may well be interested in going to Europe, he basically HAS to say he's very interested and has offers and all that other stuff just to get as much out of MLS as he can. It's part of the deal, even for players like Landon.

Craig P and wsmaugham repped this.
  9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The Italian media fell in love with him during ConFed Cup and the World Cup. He'd be an interesting asset for any of the bigger clubs there.

10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we could be seeing Demspey playing in MLS and Donovan playing in Europe, and not on loan either.

Who could have predicted that when this year started?

11. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know THOSE rumors have been going on for quite a while. But if he does go to Club America, imagine the reception he'll receive at the Estadio Omnilife when America play Chivas there :sneaky::D:p

12. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    I think his comments are a blatant attempt to leverage for more money in MLS. With Dempsey's payday, the market's now shifted for US national team players who can now demand higher wages. All except for LD who will be turning 32 next March. No European team will pay more than 2 million for LD and that's what he makes as a Galaxy DP. Sorry bro, should've taken your chance when it came. It pays to stay hungry, just ask Clint.

schrutebuck and eric_appleby repped this.
  13. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's possible. United has always been one of the best teams at rotating players which IMO is a huge part of their success. I for one thing Donovan is underrated by most of the world, and hell, if Carrick and Giggs are still going strong for United, who's to say either one of them is clearly a better player than Donovan at this point in time?

14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda harsh. He would be a free transfer and I doubt he would be ManU KEY signing. Moyes always had a sweet spot for Landon. How many 1 month loan players get slotted right into the starting 11 in a EPL club ??

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Well, Carrick is possibly the best holding midfielder currently in the Premiership. Not sure why you'd bring him up.

You need to be thinking about Zagawa, Zaha, Young, Welback, Rooney, and Valencia. Landon can play either on the wing, or in the hole behind the striker. He'd likely be behind all of those listed above. I think Moyes would find a great deal of value in having someone of Landon's talent and experience to be a fill in at times, but for Donovam its a poor fit. He doesn't needtstaet every match to be in top form for the WC - but he alsomcan't just be a purely situational player who won't be asked to start unless there's injuries

16. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Donovan for Rooney?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Ron86, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
    Donovan is the GOAT in American Soccer, no other player can touch him at this point. All the Dempsey [note from mod: we don't do the "fanboy" thing in this forum] can take that to the bank. Donovan will probably get a 3 year deal at $4 millions next year and decreasing 25% the 2nd and 3rd year. He will be the all time MLS scoring leader and might also get that All Time Assist mark. Donovan might finally play more than 24 games in the regular season in 2015 and 2016.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Wishlist of teams I wish Landon would go to:

Arsenal - Wenger needs help, quick. Plus they're in champions league.
    Paris St. German - Landon in Paris? Fairytale ending.
    Atlético Madrid - He speaks spanish and would get a chance to play Champions League. Also would put Americans on the map in La Liga.
    Fiorentina - Donovan and Rossi on same team? BS explodes.
    Roma - Donovan and Bradley together? Rename them US Roma.
    Inter Milan - Finished 9th last year, looking for a savior.
    Ajax - They probably can't afford his salary, but Landon would do awesome there.
    New York Red Bulls - Landon would put soccer on the map in New York - even more than Henry.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man Utd won't happen- big glut of attacking players there. Arsenal would be a better fit but it might be risky staking a CL place on LD as the marquee winter signing...

22. I could actually see Everton as a likely destination.

Martinez would be familiar with him, he is a fan favorite, he would be available on a free, and he is versatile. Salary wouldn't really be an issue and he would almost certainly be a starter from day one.

23. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  24. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's something different about Landon since his vacation. You can just tell in that interview. Maybe he really did need it as bad as he was saying. Maybe he wasn't taking the "easy" way out. He sounds like a 25 year old again