Donovan = Rivaldo

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SoccerScout, Nov 14, 2003.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    So where are the Rivaldo bashers that during the WC critisized him when he faked a head injury when the Turk player kicked the ball at his legs.

Donovan did practically the same thing against LA after scoring. He dropped and grabed his head, rolled around etc etc etc... He was hit nowhere near his head and even has some fault to it because he elbowed the defensmen.

Or are there double standards? Gee what a surprise! So I guess its not just Brazilians that dive!

2. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How fake was that fall by Donavan? I'm watching the replay of the game right now and saying to myself "what freakin *#*#*#*#*#." Grabbing your head and rolling around to ake an injury is why so many people think soccer is a *#*#*# sport.

3. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    We were still down 3 goals, and the Bum ba clot Jamaican in question took Donovan out in a WC qualifier in Kingston, which we converted and went to Korea, clearly Landizzel was try'n to get us a man advantage, Why aren't you lookin at Marshall, that batty boy stuck out his foot to trip Landizzel.

4. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    The US national team needs someone to get us calls, remember we play in the Americas, and in Concacaf, a very dirty and caniving section of the world for soccer. All of the countries in our section are guilty when it comes to diving except us, and we have been burned from it numerou times, we need calls too, so we have adapted, get over it, we did not start this, we want a Copa Mundial too.

It's the same thing for Brasil, you guys are surrounded by spanish speakers too, and Brasil have learned to adapt.

5. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    So what...

So what is your point, landon embelished a little bit, big deal!!! nothing half the players in MLS havent done before, how about Amado, Diallo, Mathis, StoichDive etc...the big stupid wanna be world class back intientionally walked right into donovan as he was trying to rush to get the ball out of the net not doing anything wrong, he was only mad cause Jamil and Landon smoked the entire D en route to the goal....

So by his own stupid actions ( whoever the back was couldnt tell, hong, marshall, lalas, etc ) needed to get a card or ejection for acting like a punk....hell I prob would have done the same thing landon did

no skin off my back at all for that one, LD is still the shitte

6. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Screw that, Ruudboy. Diving is bad, bad, bad, and if Donovan dives for the Nats I hope he's benched until he learns his lesson.

7. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    What about when other teams do it, we have got shafted a lot from this, i don't condone it, but if we win from it, i will tell the truth and admit the dive, but i wanna win, no matter what.

Brasil does
    Italia does
    England does
    and you know Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, Honduras, and El Salvador do.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    WTF?!

Seriously. What the f' kind of statement is that? Explain to me the connection, oh mighty ignorant one, between a language spoken and diving/faking injuries? Is there something that Spanish (exact same language as Portuguese, btw, up until 500 years ago, and Portuguese actually was birthed in Spain [Galicia] and brought on south along w/ the Christian Reconquest of Islamic kingdoms) does to the frontal lobe of the brain that naturally induces its speakers to dive?

The Smurfs fans cried foul (justifiably) when el Gato (Hartman) was on the ground for several minutes last Sunday. He speaks English.

9. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I prefer the way we went out against Germany - fighting, not diving. We had no reason to be ashamed. I would have been more ashamed if we had dove for a PK in the dying minutes than if we went out. If I ever see a guy take an all out dive for the USMNT like Hernandez did against us in Korea, I hope he gets taken out of the game then and there.

10. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    HAHAHA!!!

Good one!

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    against l.a. donovan didn't dive, he embellished.

there's a difference ...... he did get hit (and since he wasn't expecting it since it was post-goal, it could reasonably have knocked him down). also, marshall already had one yellow card, the quakes were down by 3 ... that could've been his second yellow, kicking him out of the game. maybe there's nothing wrong in that case with making sure the ref knows you got punked.

still, in general, he embellishes too much.
    I agree diving is bad, hate it, hate it. Landon's got much better this season. He still embellishes like crazy but he doesn't dive as much as he did last year (post WC especially). he's making progress ... :)

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought someone was making a point that Landon would also be sitting on the bench in Milan.

Sachin

13. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dumpest post nomination

ROFLMAOLOL:D:p

this sould be nominated to the dumbest post awards.

14. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh but intentional handballs(f4g o'brien) isnt cheating right?:rolleyes:

15. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    And this has to do with Hernandez diving how?

I had to use someone as an example. Cool your jets, turbo.

16. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    re-read my first post on this thread and take a look who/what i was quoting.

17. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    You were just pointing out that in your opinion the U.S. team already does what Ruud says they don't?

Because it just seemed like you got your panties in a twist when I brought up Hernandez's dive.

18. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yes and i also was asking him a question.

and yes he did dive...he shouldnt of gone to japorea, about a year before he went to the mls he was finished.

19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a silly stupid thing to do. Im not terribly upset by it, partly because it didnt work, partly because hes our guy, and Im not going to going to get up in arms about it. Just like I wouldnt be upset if a Brazilian shruged his shoulders over the Rivaldo incident, as long as he didnt then try to defend him.

So I wont hang him, but I wont rush to his defense either. And no, this isnt a defense of the action, just an explanation of why Im not on these message boards complaining about it.

20. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Donovan's shit so he needs all the sneaky tricks of the trade he can stumble his way through. Rivaldo was meant to be a truly world class player, said by some to be the best.
    One in a regional championship watched by 3 or 4 people, the other whilst playing for arguably the worlds most popular national football team infornt of countless millions throughout he world in the largest single sport event in the world.

Any differences you notice?

I wouldn't piss on Rivaldo if he was on fire.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no double standards. Just a Brazilian on a cross. And since your cross doesn't have web access, you haven't been able to read the threads where people have gone after Landon for the incident.

Of course, that begs the question how you wrote this thread....

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the referee doesn't call it, it ain't intentional. That Mexican player shouldn't have knocked JOB's arm into the path of the ball. Coulda been a foul on Mexico.

23. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    So when my brother used to punch me for whatever reason, and my mum didn't see it.
    He wasn't doing it on purpose?
    Just checking.
    In which case with hindsight maybe I shouldn't have torched his car last year.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't read this thread. Don't plan to.

GO LANDON! :D

25. uclacarlos