Donovan rips Jonny Walker

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroFever, Oct 6, 2003.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    ``He's been playing in South America too long, with all those floppers,'' Donovan said of Walker, who played in Chile before he signed with Major League Soccer in July. ``This is America.''

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/soccer/6944202.htm

Gee, I thought they didn't flop in Europe. Silly me.

If his fouls don't warrant a fine, I think his post-game comments might.

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Now I'm really ticked off at this little spolied brat. Thanks for posting it Metro Fever. I just caught it myself on MLSnet and I can't believe he said that.

What an overreacting crybaby Donovan is. Piece of crap. Let him go and play in South America if he thinks he is so smart.

3. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    LD is a funny guy.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Who is he to decide what is and what isn't allowed on the field, btw? The kid has lost it. He, incidentally, has never dove ever, not even once in his entire life.

as if.

His comments on Amado:

"That was just frustration. He had it coming anyway. If you dance
    around like that, you're going to get hit. When he was down, in
    Spanish, I told him I had to do it."
    -- Donovan, who received a yellow card for the incident, rationalizes
    his foul on MetroStar Amado Guevara, who had a goal and an assist in
    the MetroStars' win. (San Jose Mercury News)

Who the phuck made him god? Oh...we did. Still, he needs to relax a bit, and grow up a bit more. You lost a game, don't be a petulant twerp about it.

5. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Ok... from now on i hate Landon boy.... how can he say something like that when he did what he did... if he was in Walker's position wouldn't he do the same and try to draw an obvious card...

His mother should wash his mouth out with soap... his father should lay him across his lap and make is a$$ red...

since when do stupid a$$ little kids think they are so tough??

6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    At first, I gave the guy the benefit of a doubt because it's out of character for him to be pulling cheapshots. But obviously, he had time to compose himself after the match and didn't. The comments are absolutely outrageous.

As far as the trash-talking in Spanish, where the hell was the referee when this was going on?

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He goes a little too far sometimes but doesn't Mathis do the same thing? Don't you think that part of what makes a good player is being so competitive that they lose a little perspective? He also probably knows about the dancing around and getting hacked as he is usually on the recieving end. BTW, if you want to watch what happens when a team has nothing in the belly and is too nice watch a Burn game.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, same here. I figured that he was just frustrated and this was one of those games that he'd like to forget about. Now he's playing the role of enforcer and thug and trying to justify it? Please. He came in way late on Guevara and he got a yellow. Then he came in way late on Walker and tried to elbow him. Did Walker milk it? My honest opinion yes. But he should've gotten one anyway just for trying to elbow him. Hell, Vieira got kicked out for "trying" to kick Ruud.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a way, yes. But people expect that out of Clint. For Landon, it just seems like he's put on a pedestal and can do no wrong. But Landon's charges on Amado and Walker could've arguably been each a red card. However all he got was a yellow. I think Clint usually gets what he deserves and maybe because he's developed a rep of being a loud mouth.

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Man, you old forks should ligthen up... This is what we need in our league... Character... We need some Euro talboid to make a big fuss about this... MLS is getting too boring ... I mean, what is really there to do after each games.. Read about previews? MLS goes on Coma after each game... C'mon, I want some drama and passion... Yes, he deserved two Red Cards and suspension after yesterday but ya should calm down b/c i thought this is funny... I hope Michael Lewis would interview Bradley/Mathis/Walker and tell them what LD say. It would make a great MLS Cup 2003.

I thought his first comment was even better...

``We could be in a worse position. We could be Dallas,'' added forward Landon Donovan, in reference to the last-place Burn, which has been eliminated from playoff contention.

Now, i would take offend to that Burn fans...

11. GCSOCCER19

GCSOCCER19 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    North Carolina
    I dont know....

Honestly when i look at the two incidents i see it this way.....

1. Amado is a flopper and everybody knows it, hell this guy goes down when Ramiro Corrales threw a towel at him....that is his game, he just keeps on begging for someone to hack him down so he can act it up and try and get the guy sent off...personally I would love to see more referees penalize Amado for this because it is poor class and it takes away from the quality of the game...I am not defending LD in this instance, I am just saying he got sucked into Amado's loophole, perhaps a red was warranted, but he got a yellow...ref should have kept a better eye on him the rest of the game...and play on

2. When walker and Donovan had their contact my intial thought was it really didnt even look like LD touched him....yes, he did throw the elbow, and yes it looked malicious, but alot of forwards throw up there arms for protection....although I do agree in this instance it looked like he was going for Walker...but honestly, the hit was not hard at all, he really barely grazed the inside of walkers side...I definetly felt like Walker embellished the foul alot with his "flopping" acting job on the ground, and perhaps LD is right, he could have picked that up in South America in his time there

In the end, yes he should have been red carded...and he should sit the next game per/MLS's decision....but i think this goes towards all three guys that were involved in this when I say...get some class fellas

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Amado made a complete fool of Landon and he's probably not used to being on that end of it.

Amado more blatantly looks to get fouled, though. At the end of the game, he was attracting blue shirts and could've ripped the Quakes a new one by laying off an easy ball to the wing. He opted to continue weaving until the inevitable mugging, so he could kill the clock gasping and rolling around.

He has the best ball skill in the league - really astounding - and he still manages to be an embarrassment to MLS.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What game were some people watching? Ok, did Johnnie Walker milk that situation ............ yes, he did. Should it have gotten a card ...... yes, it should have because fouls are supposed to be given for the ACT of what was done, and not for the outcome of the resulting injury. He threw an elbow, and it was not to defend himself. Walker was too busy catching the ball to a threat to LD, so it basically amounted to a cheap shot. As for the Guevara foul, people need to get a grip. Am I the only one who saw LD take a step at Guevara after the ball was long gone, and then kick him in the shin! that wasn't acting my friends. even on slow motion replay, you can see that LD took a vicious kick at Guevara AND connected. After the game, LD said that Guevara deserved it and stated that he told Guevara in Spanish as he lay on the ground "I had to do it." yeah, that didn't deserve a red, now did it?!!

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I agree.

It looks like he's trying to bring attention to the game in more ways than one.

A little WWF or E smack talk anyone?

15. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Seems everyone here is holding LD to a different standard. It was unusual to see LD foul like that. He was frustrated. He and San Jose have had two great games in a row. Then they hit the Metros FC playing a great game (they needed it a lot more than SJ) in the bandbox. LD did not get the chances he wanted.

It has to be frustrating playing against Guevara too. I am a Metro FC fan but he takes the dives and acting too far.

I dont know if either foul constiutes a Red card. The foul on Guevara looked like a yellow to me. The one on Walker missed but deserved a yellow for intent.

So he got frustrated. Then he mouthed off to the media. No big deal.

16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

No, the ball was gone so Donovan should have pulled out of the tackle.

The challenge warranted a straight red. Players heads and legs must be protected.

If Guevara was holding the ball and his legs got whacked as incidental contact (going for the ball) it would have been a dangerous play and a yellow card.

17. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    At least he doesn't like to sugar coat his statements, but that was a dumb thing to say.

Guevara deserved it because he dances with the ball too much, yet Landon complained about defenders in MLS having to hack because they can't play him fairly?

I was going to say something about a 'pot' and a 'kettle' here, but I don't really think I need to.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it was quite the humorous quote indeed. can you imagine that? LOL Well, whatever. I'm just hoping that someone in the U.S. nats coming down the pipe, gets better than him, because he is really starting to aggravate me and i think some focus off him would be better for him and for his play with the full squad.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On Landon

The quick verdict -

Red card.
    Don't blame him a bit.

20. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    F l_l C K Donovan.!

THAT IS ALL!!

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took far more offense to the shameful performance by my team on Saturday night.

22. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Seriously. Saying we're a terrible team isn't offensive. It's true. I think with three games left in the season, pretty much everybody has gotten over that.

On another note, I'm amazed at the venom being spewed at Landon. Yes, he had one pretty egregious foul, and another foul that probably deserved a yellow. Yes, he should have been ejected, at one point or another. But, seriously, he didn't do any permanent harm to your players. He just threw a little fit on the field and got away with it because the ref was afraid of red carding him. If it was Manny Lagos or Chris Roner, however, who had committed the fouls, I can't imagine anything resembling the outpouring of hate that Landon's gotten. Yes, he played dirty last game; no, he's not really a dirty player. The real target here ought to be MLS, if they let him get away with this without a suspension (especially considering those newspaper comments).

However, you guys won, everybody's ok, you won't draw any benefit from landon being suspended, don't you think it's maybe time to move on?

23. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    this is shocking considering Donovan himself is no stranger to diving.

the good thing is that mls has what every league needs

A BAD BOY WHO IS ALSO A LADIES FAVORITE!

24. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    You are right. However, as I posted on the quake board, he needs to wise up and learn to control his frustration since the CONCACAF ref in a WCQ game will NOT be so lenient. Those remarks from him are definitely not the right first step.

25. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    The girls I know prefer Jolley over Landon. They say they prefer men to lanky emo boys.

Just feedback from the ladies.