Donovan replaces Forlan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jon Rhine, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

yea ok what have u been smoking.
    --where does forlan play and where does donovan play

-- who is better san jose or manchester

-- which league is more competitive

what did donovan do in germany??

oviously ur letting ur heart talk instead of ur brain.
    for real man never post something like that again.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very astute observation. That's exactly what LD said of himself in an interview a while back, that at times he just spaces out. Said the mental part was the hardest and that he's working to improve that.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'll take Scholes over Donovan any day. ManU needs another world class striker, not Rogaine's future poster boy.

4. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another item discussing Forlan's worth (or lack thereof).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=281732&cc=5901

Also the other night the Scottish guy on FSW was brutal in his take on Forlan in the Fulham game. Not about his finishing but about his passing and the way he disruptes ManU's attack.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not saying topmoller is a bad coach, just implying that he might be partial. If he coaches a game geared to players who are tall, if that's what he's has success with and feels comfortable relying on, a very good "little" player could be slighted and ignored by him, thus creating Donovan's situation.

Which still doesn't make topmoller a bad coach - just the wrong coach for Donovan, therefore making Bayer the wrong team for Donovan. Now, in this situation, no one, including Donovan, is evil or a pansy, just people that recognize that they don't fit together and letting each other go free to find a better fit elsewhere.

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Re: Donovan replaces Forlan

Where in the heck do you get Donovan versus Scholes out of a Donovan versus Forlan thread?

Oh, probably the same place you got that brave baldy swipe - your ass.

7. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Donovan replaces Forlan

-- how old is donovan and forlan?

-- from which countries are donovan and forlan?

-- which nation is ranked higher?

8. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    ???????????????????????????????????????????

Topmoeller and tall players?? Where is the connection? He made Neuville Bayers top-striker and I don´t think that he fits into the category "tall"...

He even prefered Bierofka over Donovan cause he is more felxible and can play on nearly every position on the field.

9. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Re: Re: Re: Donovan replaces Forlan

first two questions don't matter. age does matter, not in forlan's case( he is only 24)

usa is ranked higher, but there are other players who play for lower ranked countries that are better than donovan.

10. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Donovan replaces Forlan

You mean who play, as opposed to being second-string the way Forlan is?

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  12. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, sorry, we're arguing about the wrong Bayer coach.

Daum signed Donovan, and promised him an opportunity with the first team if his development continued.

Then Berti Vogts came on as coach - Donovan was moved from first team practices and languished until his transfer to MLS.

IIRC, he never played under Topmoeller.

13. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I wouldn't bother mate. If you dare to suggest on here that Donovan isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread then you get accused of being a troll and called all kinds of nasty names.

The fact that he's achieved precisely bugger-all in his career so far (apart from a few goals against Cuba - wowee) doesn't enter into the equation, apparently.

He'd apparently make Man Utd better. That's how good he is.

I've seen some stupid threads on this board before but this one is challenging for top spot.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he'd bloody well make Cambridge United a better team. Then maybe they wouldn't have to stay in the 3rd Division.

And you're right, he hasn't achieved anything in his short career...MVP U17 World championships (Anyone from Cambridge United do that?) MLS Championship 2001 (Cambridge anyone?) Oh, and that little thing about scoring in a World Cup (Again, Cambridge?) But you are right. He's a total non-achiever.

And yes, PLEASE note my sarcasm.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Well there are some stupid posts in this thread, but not all of them. The thesis of the thread is that Donovan is a better player than Forlan. I, for one, believe he is. And to say he has accomplished nothing is untrue. Donovan played in a World Cup and was probably the best player on his team -- a team that reached the quarterfinals. He is also the best player on his club team in an up and coming league and has a lucrative contract with a big European club. Together that's a little more than nothing.

As he is better than Forlan, he would make United better, but just slightly so. But that really wasn't the main point of the thread.

Donovan is not a player of the caliber of Ronaldinho, for example, but he is certainly good enough to start on a Premiereship team as an attacking mid, and would, given the right set of circumstances.

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I would say no, because where the two players differ is independent of the competition. Donovan has more close control and a softer touch than Forlan. And he sees plays developing very quickly and makes the right pass. I've seen Forlan have a clubbed foot and fail to see Rude Ruud sitting with an open net in front of him.

Forlan really is a bizarre player. Fast as lightning and a rocket shot, but seems to have feet of stone sometimes and seems like he's on drugs. Don't seem like a South American player at all. I don't know his background. Are his parents French immigrants?

17. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Best post of this entire thread. I think that Forlan is languishing for ManU and should go to another place where he could start regularly. I think that it would behoove Donovan to do the same.

18. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Noted. Well done.

The thing is, I'm not writing on Internet messageboards about how Dave Kitson would improve the standards of Manchester United's overall play, or how Shane Tudor could eventually replace Scholesy.

Although we did sell Dion Dublin to Man United for a million pounds back when that was a fair bit of money.

Anyway, the point is that yes, of course Landon Donovan is better than pretty much every CUFC player. That doesn't exactly make him stand out from the crowd, though, does it?

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is you said he hadn't done anything in his career, and I was pointing out that he had. If you'd get over your bias against him and be a little more open-minded, you would get the point of most of the posts on this board. No, I don't think LD is Ronaldhino or Ruud Van Nistleroy (sp?), but he's not the terrible, loser player that you want to make him out to be either. I think he could play on about any team in the world; would he be a world-setter? Probably not, but he could hold his own.

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

21. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    When did I say he's a 'terrible, loser player'?
    The fact is, people are making all sorts of outlandish claims about his ability, based on the fact that he had a half-decent World Cup and, well, not much else really. Forgive my Eurosnobbishness but I don't rate the MLS Championship as that much of an achievement, relatively speaking.

As things stand, his opportunity to make it in a bigger league fell through (whatever the reasons) and so there is no substantial basis to claim that he would improve Man Utd as a team or contribute anything more than a whole host of other players.

I think Landon Donovan is a good player from what I've seen of him. But I don't think he's world class by a hell of a long way.

22. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Offering an opinion different to yours is trolling?

I've backed up my opinions with reasoned arguments as well. If you can't handle it then I suggest you avoid places like the Internet, because there's a fair few people out there who'll disagree with your Donovan-worship.

23. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, being a troll is trolling.

24. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    And being a crybaby who posts little pictures of trolls when somebody dares to challenge the general Landon Love-In which was taking place on this thread is the Internet equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "Ner, ner, ner, I'm not listening."

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except maybe Real Madrid. :D

And also, for what it's worth, this thread really hasn't been a love-in for LD. Nobody is making any outlandish statements and saying he's the greatest thing on earth. Until you showed up, it was actually a pretty down-to-earth, reasonable thread with some good observations being made. That's all.