Donovan replaces Forlan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jon Rhine, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

What kind of dosy logic is that?

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you have some dwarves to molest?

Get lost, troll.

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Yes that clearly defines and explains the logic, thinking and reasoning behind such a worhtless and ridiculous comparison as the one you made, here wrap youre head round this, a georgian gets a start at AC Milan ahead of a second string argentinian and a brazilian world cup winner, that obviously makes georgia better than both argentina and brazil by your logic,when one single player can get a game ahead of argentinian and brazilian second stringers, i mean jesus it was so obvious all along, what a powerhouse georgia is!

Anyone who doesnt agree with voros overly baised and twisted view of the reality of football = troll.

I leave with my point intact that both are as big a bottler as the other, the difference being one stayed with his club and stuck it out when things werent running too hot for him and that speaks volumes about the said players mental character and strength that the other just doesnt appear to have, and all the skills in the world wont matter a fvck if you are going to bottle every challenge and set back that comes youre way.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, cop a walk. All you ever do here is troll, so I no longer bother engaging you in discussion. Bye.

5. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    I'm not defending LD, just want to point out that he went over to Germany when he was 17. Forlan was, what, 22-23 or so? That's a big difference.

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    forlan never went to germany;)

7. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Hey now.

He could have visited. Maybe.

8. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Park head, that's an odd handle, are the sheep sleeping?

9. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually, LD was a wee lad of sixteen. The coach that signed him got canned, and the new coach refused to play him - even when he scored well in the reserves. Apparently, there were numerous comments about his size - or lack thereof. Germans are apparently partial to height.

Frustrated, he requested a transfer to a league and team that would play him (MLS). That's common, not wimpy or bottling. When Donovan peformed well in WC - Bayer rumbled about bringing him back. Donovan didn't want the same situation (bench sitting) - so he asked for a commitment of playing time. Bayer didn't bite, so he asked to stay. They granted that - knowing that he could continue to improve in MLS, and they could recall him then,(or sell him for much moolah) when he would be guaranteed playing time and everyone would be happy, except for Parkhead, who'd have to admit he was wrong. But he isn't capable of that.

10. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Forlan has not lived in his home country since since he was 15 or so, so I don't see that big of a difference.

11. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There's a big difference between Germany and the U.S. - starting with different language, culture, continent, etc.

Diego went to Argentina before England. Same language, time zone, similar culture, and easy plane ride home to the folks in Uraguay.

12. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Take off that avatar, loser :D:p

13. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    If the new coach you are refering to is topmoller, he took leverkusen to a champions league final, I think his judgement on player selection is perfectly justified, you make it sound like he was picking on poor little landon.

14. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Don't get it....

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You missed the whole point. What he was saying was:

The US is better than Uruguay. (Not too many informed people will dispute this, given their WC results and head-to-head results.) And if the US is the superior team, then it seems odd to say that an automatic starter for the US is on the same level as an Uruguayan second-string player.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think our cryptic freind is thinking of the Welsh. I also notice that he doesn't put his own location down so that we can hurl bigoted comments in his direction.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw Diego Forlan play last night and he got the man of the match award.

I haven't seen Donovan much lately since the Confed cup so can't really make a judgement on recent form but, from what I have seen. I'd say they're probably about even in skill. I don't think you can simply make a check-list of qualities in the way that has been suggested and simply tick them off.

The only other thing I would say is that I think Donovan's game is probably suffering because he isn't playing in a league with a consistently higher level of play, specifically against better defenders and mid-fielders. Whether that's because he's 'bottled' it is another matter altogether. It could simply be that he prefers his life style where he is and he has different priorities. From a personal point of view I can understand that.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way! Donovan has much more control of the ball and much better vision than Forlan. Forlan might be faster, and the keyword is *might*, but that's it. Forlan has a rocket shot, but as everyone knows, he often misses sitters.

In my mind, Donovan is a better player.

19. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I was sitting in Giants stadium when Forlan missed two wide open shots near the end of the game. He definitely has a problem in stopping to think about his options, however one thing you cannot fault him in is his desire and passion for the game. I still can't help thinking of Donovan as a spoiled brat. Not only from his comments, but also his professional choices...does he really want to do what it takes to be the best? He would not be the prima donna at Manchester, and possibly would not start all the time; I'm not sure how he would take that, or the abuse inherent in SAF system.

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Forlan *might* be faster with the ball, but there is no way he is faster than Landon without it.

Landon has a third gear that most players simply don't have...I wish he used it more.

21. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ferris Bueller just accused someone of being a spoiled brat, and that they lack desire and passion.

Paging Ed Rooney....

22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Forlan needs to go to a team where he will get more playing time, I'd imagine that you guys would hope for the same for Donovan. It's no shame to go to a lesser club to play more, as long as the competition is of similar caliber.

24. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    ever heard of Celtic?

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, well... it depends who he's playing against, doesn't it...

As I said before, from what I saw of him in the confed cup he looks good sometimes and sometimes he simply drifts out of games. Having said that in the WC he looked good.

To really compare the two you'd have to have him playing in the EPL against the same opposition that Forlan has faced.

I think this is where we came in, wasn't it.