DONOVAN > KLINSMANN

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Honore de Ballsac, Jun 2, 2014.

1. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I'm kind of amused that someone who has the handle "offebacher" would be amused at anyone in a Donovan / Klinsmann thread. :)

Offebacher repped this.
  2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh if you think they are anywhere near the same class as players then I know all I need to know.

Umm it's an attempt at a witty chant by rival fans. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. Hell at least they weren't calling him Landycakes, people on here would probably be trying to press criminal charges and demanding restraining orders for Fire fans.

3. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    That's crazy, so his dad just also happens to be named Gerhard Muller. I always read that and just made the assumption by correlation. Good to know. I was gonna say, those have to be the best soccer genes ever, and would make me reconsider my stance on cloning. Guess history just has a way of repeating itself. Thanks for pointing that out.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  4. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    And yet, yours takes up space without actually saying anything, so I guess it's just a matter of preference... Reading something someone has put time into in order to discuss a topic at length vs. making a bunch of pointless observations about the grammatical style of someone's posts. Which adds less to the discussion boards that these are meant to be?

jeffmefun and NMMatt repped this.
  5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to Wiki Muller is the most common last name in Germany.

6. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Sure I should have been at the Fifa workshop for example, but I had personal reasons for not being there and looking back saying that it was a mistake for me not being there I would take the same decision because the personal situation has higher priority than a workshop.

Jurgen Klinsmann

7. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Is being named Gerhard Muller at a time before Gerdi was dominant with Germany, and having a son who just happens to also go on to play for the same club (Bayern Munich), and also win a golden boot playing for Germany?

Id say that's the first time that's occured, not just in Germany.

8. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Uh oh... did you find a source pointing to Klinsmann taking a sabaticall... That can't be...

9. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    life sure is funny isn't it ? :)

10. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Yes, he is an intelligent physicist. How that qualifies him to be an excellent World Cup match predictor than the Octopus that actually predicted every match but the final correctly is beyond me. I'd take the octopus because of proven experience on the big stage, personally :D

So, Stephen Hawking found the same statistical studies Klinsmann and others read at the time which uncovered the myth that wearing Red Jerseys is how you end up winning... (Most of those studies happen to include Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, etc. in a time when they're the dominant clubs in England) Yes, there's also the one which trace England in the Red jerseys vs England not in the Red jerseys, obviously which starts at WC 1966 where England wore the red jerseys and won the world cup. That they would win more often in the jerseys they wore in the home tournament is such an astounding revelation I guess it took a physicist to uncover. The study does not trace quality of opponent, stage of the competition, or anything. If he wanted to he probably could come up with a much better way to measure it.

Did he check that same theory out with Brazil (Yellow, Blue, White, and Green), Italy (Blue, White), Germany (White, Black, Green)? Those are your top 3 all-time World Cup winners, and consistent placers at the World Cup. You can figure Holland (Orange, Black, White, Blue), France (Blue, White, slight red trim), and Argentina (light blue, white, dark blue) as well. I guess success is defined differently in England and the rest of the soccer world.

Perhaps soccer tactics and talent on the field have a tad more to do with it than jersey color? Could just be me.

But, what do I know, I'm no Stephen Hawking... :rolleyes:

BTW it didn't work out for Klinsmann... Germany lost in the semi finals to Il Azzuri, who went on to beat Les Blues in the finals while wearing their blue jerseys.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  12. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    I'm just amused that someone used the term "handle" for the the member name...

[​IMG]

owian repped this.
  13. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Klinsmann but I'm very disappointed with it, I can not accept that he cut Donovan.

He's making a mistake not to take Donovan to the World Cup.

Mattbro repped this.
  14. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to say that this thread didn't go the direction I thought it might & it _is_ awesome. Thanks & big props to Lothar is 1 for taking the time to drop his big posts, thoughts, and background info on BS. Thank you!!

p.s. the sign? Doesn't really move me, but if you like it, why not make it? I bet it'd get some screen time.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I believe Müller is the most common last name in Germany. And since Gerhard is a common name for German-speakers of that generation and Thomas is a common name in Germany nowadays, it's not all that much of a coincidence. Certainly not as much as the fact that former German President Horst Köhler had the same exact (real) name as this lunatic who once participated for Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest:

[​IMG]

With regard to the aspect of Klinsmann wanting to keep Landon out of a fourth World Cup for reasons of jealousy: he's bringing Beasley along to his fourth WC, so that doesn't really explain it. He's leaving Donovan at home because he doesn't like Donovan's attitude. He doesn't like the fact that Donovan doesn't consider soccer to be the only thing in his life, the way European players supposedly do (which probably is also the case for most of them).

16. Jeterfan1015

Jeterfan1015 Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Queens NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop bringing this up. We don't have anywhere near as much talent as Germany. If there were 23 guys with more talent than Donovan at this moment then I wouldn't be against what Klinsmann did but you're lucky if we have 10 players right now that are better than Donovan so stop feeding me this $#!% about Michael Ballack.

Adiaga Two and Tejas repped this.
  17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    1. Beasely: Could not be a threat to the attention paid to Jurgen. Landon would be.

2. Klinsmann is a higher profile example of the very same avowed mentality: that soccer was not the only thing in life. Thus the move to Monaco, the earlyish retirement, the very long sabbatical from the game spent motorcycling the California coast and living the easy family So Cal life, popping in on the occasional Galaxy game, playing 4th division US ball under a pseudonym. He insisted on living in California for most of the time he ran the German national team - the 2006 host team!

That was rich. Whereas it always seemed to me that Donovan's sabbatical was all about being able to bring it for this World Cup.

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    ^^^ I'm not really seeing it. All of those things except Monaco were after he retired from active soccer. Monaco was long before he retired, and he scored a shit-ton of goals there, as he did even thereafter at Tottenham, Bayern and Sampdoria. Whereas Donovan washed out twice at Leverkusen and once at Bayern. Not that I care about that either - he's done the USA proud when we needed him, and he should be going to Brazil, absolutely. But in Jürgen's mind, Landon hasn't challenged himself sufficiently as an active player.

19. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    The Octopus has had quite a career but the other guy is right now just a little bit ahead of him.

20. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Thanks for beating me to the reply.

2ndly, I want to add Klinsmann actually took a sabbatical even more recent than that as well.

He wasn't fired from Germany, like many on here claim. He stepped away and said he didn't want to coach anymore, that h was going to spend more time from his family. That's when US Soccer went hard after trying to get him, before they ended up with Bradley. He told them he needed time away from the game and wanted to spend time with his family. Then after a couple years he went back to coach for Bayern, where he was fired.

StillKickin repped this.
  21. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Hypocrite:

a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs.

Honore de Ballsac and

Lothar hit the nail right on the head.

22. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I would like to say is that when Bedoya and Zusi had the ball on the counters against Nigeria I felt apprehension ( not to put them down) and if that was Donovan I would feel that something good is about to happen (just an earned confidence). Donovan would put the ball on Dempsey foot most of the time I believe not behind them.