Donovan: "I don't care" who next USMNT coach is

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by subbuteo, Sep 12, 2006.

1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview: Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy - Goal.com

Found these quotes of this interview interesting:

and now those skillfull at reading between the lines... go at it

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Can someone please try to convince me this is a good attitude for him to have?

3. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's gained the attitude part of being a world-class player. Just like Roberto Carlos' comment about the president of Real Madrid's resignation- "me da igual"- it's all the same to me. :)

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to get uppity about it. He probably doesn't care, because it doesn't matter. He knows that whoever the coach is, a spot will need to be earned. And that is good.

And it would have been worse had he said he preferred X and Y got the job.

5. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    agreed

i hate the guy, he definitely needs to work that chip on his shoulder for getting all that post world cup flack, and a change of attitude is worth a shot, at least

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I just wish they asked him new questions

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the other interpretation is that he doesn't care because he thinks his spot is assured no matter who it is.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Judge, do you think the defendant is guity or innocent?"

"I don't care."

You would prefer he say, "I really hope it's Klinsmann," guaranteeing a controversy (for which he would be duly bashed) if Klinsmann is or is not chosen?

Jesus. The obsession some people have. The posters at Democratic Underground have a more nuanced view than Bush than some of you jackals have of Landon.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Definitely true... I am glad he didnt' come right out and say he preferred one over another. Actually I think he started the answer very well with "I think it’s kind of difficult because". Unfotunately Ithink the last half of the answer "well.... I don't care" really doesnt' sound good.

I guess I'm still hoping that Landon will take a class in public speaking as this is not one of his strong points. Oh well.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

yea, because we have legions of players who are good enough to boot Landon out of the National Team.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course, yet another interpretation is that "I'm not even thinking about the National Team right now because I'm trying to get my team into the MLS Cup final."

He's already said in his 2nd answer that the guys who have been there a long time (which would include himself - he's been there a while now) are going to have to earn their spots.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    "Some of you jackals" and quoting my post? Good grief. I'm not a Landon Basher but I also don't think he's perfect.

Your analogy also doesn't really hit the mark.
    A Judge is someone who hears testimony and is expected to not have a personal interest in the outcome as long as the law is followed. Also a judge is expected to make decisions and not be influenced by opinion.
    Donovan is a soccer player (one of the most talented we have) and definitely has a vested interest in the next coach of the National team. Here Donovan has no decision authority but his personal opinions are of interest.

I stated above that I thought he started off well, with the whole "I think it's kind of difficult, " but the final answer "I don't care" is not a good answer in my mind.

No I don't want him to pick a favorite and start pimping him for the job.
    However, give an answer that says you aren't involved but hope to work well with whomever is chosen. Or give an answer that says you have seen some of the candidates and that they all bring something to the table. Or give an answer that it's not your place to say anything. But I would really prefer an answer that shows he cares.

His answer disapointed me, and I like Landon, which is why I want to be able to see it in a good light.

14. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    It's possible that he doesn't care because he's a whiny brat who is still upset that The Bruce is gone, and he's going to be a baby about it.

Or, it could be that he just didn't give a full enough answer. Landon's never really been media savvy. He's basically a robot in interviews. It would have been better if he said, "Well, the names we've heard tossed around the most are Klinsmann or Pekermann. I am sure there are some other candidates as well. I am not too concerned about it too much, because it's not my decision to make, but I am pretty happy, because every name I have heard has been more than qualified. The decision isn't mine, it's the USSF's, and I am sure they'll get the right man for the job."

But he didn't. Because Landon doesn't talk like that. I think we're making more out of this than needs to be made.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Well said.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    ya, what the Inter guy said.

RIP, Giacinto. You would have never said "I don't care who the next Inter coach is".

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. A judge would never answer "i don't care". of course the judge cares whether a person is or is not innocent, because a judge is an arbiter of justice, so would (or should) want the judicial process to work to free the innocent and vice versa. A judge may say that he is not in a position to express an opinion prior to hearing all the evidence, or may say simply say that because something is currently being litigated it isn't proper to express an opinion at all .......... but "I don't care"? Never. Never. Never. No competent judge would say that. Simply a poor analogy. I like Landon generally. I was one of (and remain to be) one of his big defenders in returning to MLS. I'm glad he is here. He adds something to MLS. However, saying that he doesn't care about who becomes coach seems a bit harsh to me. If what he meant was that he plans to bust his tail for anyone who becomes coach, say that. If he means that it's not his decision so he can't get caught up with that, say that. But "I don't care"? Hmmmmm, something seems a little off about that comment.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, let's remember the context of the interview - he'd just lost a freakin' game that they should have won hands down; a win would have put them in 3rd place only 1 point out of 2nd place - and this guy is asking him about the National Team coach?

At that point, I don't think I'd care either.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it. Very good post.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

not a robot....he just speaks without diplomacy.

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well we don´t know what was in the head of Landon when he has given this interview....maybe he had "not good day"...answer: I don´t care sounds a bit
    unmotivated and with no interest who is next USMNT coach....but I think Landon is interested who is next USMNT coach...I know Klinsi critized once Landon when he left Leverkusen...so I´m not sure if Klinsi is his favorite...despite he thinks that Klinsi has the biggest chance to get this job..

.I think Landon is like posters of BS....he does not know who will be USMNT coach and until USMNT solve this problem, he simply don´t care...he care just of himself...yeah, he thinks only on his benefit....which is normal.

I also think why Landon might answer this question...there is something in his life that make him a bit sad....and he simply has another problems than to care about coach.....maybe someone of you know about it...

WHY HE DON`T CARE? simply answer..IT IS NOT HIS JOB TO LOOK FOR NEW USMNT COACH..he can not influence it...so why he should care of this? ..HE SHOULD PLAY SOCCER..this is his job....
    not to care who is next USMNT coach...this is someone another job....he can only wait until this problem is solved...and care of himself:)
    bltleo
    from the city that Landon - who does not care who is USMNT coach - left

22. Zipperscout

Zipperscout New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Isn't "I am not too concerned" basically the fancy version of "I don't care?"

I don't get that the difference is better or a big deal.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A) I think Landon has the right attitude. It doesn't matter who the new coach is as whomever it is, everyone starts from scratch and has to earn their place as the new coaches preferred players.

B) Landon is playing as well in MLS right now as he ever has. He played like ass in the WC and took a lot of deserved flack for it. For many, they are still pissed at how he played and his attitude about it and they deserve to keep that anger if they want, especially anyone who spent a nickel or more to watch the WC or burned an hour of leave to catch the US play.

But, Landon, to his credit, has stepped it up since he's gotten back. Yeah, you could say it's coming to late, and that's fair. But the turnaround has to start sometime so it might as well be sooner rather than later and he's playing great club football right now in both league and cup play.

The way he's playing for the Galaxy should assure him call-ups from the new coach.

C)Sometimes I'm amazed SuperDave can type with Landon's genatalia is his mouth.

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post-game interviews with athletes (and other interviews, for the most part) are my least favorite part of modern sports.

Who gives a crap what 20-something professsional athletes have to say... they're not hired for their diplomacy or thoughtful analysis. Let their actions do the talking. 95% of the rest of it is really pretty boring.

(If only Balboa would have done all his talking on the field...)

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    donovan shouldn't care because the doesn't have a say in who it'd be...

if it's klinnsman, then he'll be smiling from la to berlin, jk should be able to build a playing relationship with him, to get the most out of landon...

jk will love him to death, and that just might be the right approach to take....