Donovan, Friedel, Reyna: Honda Award Finalists

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Sep 19, 2002.

1. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    i think sanneh should be included as a nomination

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    How many times has Freddy Adu won it?

3. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    Previous Winners

The list of winners (including finalists) can be found right here.

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Re: not technically a defender, but . . .

Armas won the Chevy award not the Honda award.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote goes to Friedel. I honestly didn't think he'd get the starting nod in the WC over Keller. But he won it and took our squad to new world level. Plus he had a stellar season for Blackburn and was instrumental in getting them into the UEFA Cup.

6. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Friedel, even if he does speak with an english accent.

7. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
  8. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Re: Re: not technically a defender, but . . .

Whats the difference?

9. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    From http://www.sweetspotsoccer.com/headlines/a/2002/01/30.html:

"U.S. Soccer's Chevrolet Male and Female Athletes of the Year awards are ... based on competing and excelling at the highest level of soccer offered by U.S. Soccer for the calendar year, as well as exhibiting decorum on and off the field that contributes to the growing popularity and credibility of the sport in the United States."

And, as an extra bonus, here's a partial list of past winners of both awards.

http://www.soccertimes.com/facts/usa/usplayer.htm

10. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    The Power of Cheese

The award gets a mocking commentary on SC from John Anderson, formerly at KOMU and then in Tulsa, after which he moved to Phoenix where apparently his 'style' didn't mesh with the local newscast. He then got the call up to the bigs at SC, where apparently, they are trying to "back off from that smart-aleck" SC reputation.

Really...

Uh, John, when was the last time you won a major award in your field and got to be mocked on national television for your effort? Regardless, whether its soccer, field hockey, volleyball, whatever, the kid has worked his a** off for this moment in his life, he has friends and family, and then he gets -- what? -- a 20 second mention and a slap in the face?

Okay, Donavon's a big boy and he makes lots of money, so he probably doesn't care, but man you look really low class pulling stunts like that.

Ask, yourself the next time you are going to slag a soccer player, team, whatever: would I do this to the MVP of any other sport I don't care about?

Thanks,
    Joe