Donovan Cut - is this the end of Landon?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    For anyone pointing to the sabbatical a year and a half ago - forget it. Landon had been playing for three years non stop prior to Jan. 2013 - he NEEDED a break. If he didn't, his body would have broken down by now. If Jurgen can't understand that, that's his own fault. And he has more than proven that he is back to where he was since that time.

During the 2013 MLS season, Landon had 10 goals and 9 assists in 2085 minutes. Brad Davis had 5 goals and 9 assists in 2679 minutes. You tell me who is the better player.

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    At least he did this now, so the team still has 3 weeks to get over it.

3. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Man... the Landon thing is so big I feel like its actually overshadowing some other really dubious decisions. I need a drink.

swedust, joelk and Totoro repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And Donovan is a better player, passer, and more experienced. You bring him along because he's a better player than Julian Green.

Gisselbrecht, Guinho, Footsatt and 5 others repped this.
  5. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My theory is that the only reason JK brought in 30 was so he could "manage" cutting Landon.

6. FC Radar USA

FC Radar USA Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I am surprised like many of you are here. My question is whether anyone has seen him play this year in MLS... Looking at his stats for the year....7 starts (played full game) ... NO Goals, only 6/21 shots on goal, 2 assists (From LA Galaxy stat site on MLS website). Is he playing a lot better than these stats ???? OR is he just struggling??

7. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    I heard Steve Sampson advised JK on this decision, saying " it worked well with Harkes for me"

taylor repped this.
  8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    But he's completely fit.

Form, I grant you, is not where he was 4 years ago. But again, you give a legend the benefit of the doubt.

Berks repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I agree!!!!!!!
    Signed,
    Timothy Chandler

Gisselbrecht, taylor, WrmBrnr and 7 others repped this.
  10. Alain10

Alain10 Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Landon's desire died with Project 2010. I wish he could have given it another go for the forth time. He is still one of the best in the US. JK probably got tired stroking Landon's ego. He's either with the program or not. It seems to me he doesn't want to be there without JK's stroking his ego.

11. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    He hasn't even played a first division club match. He's beyond inexperienced. It's like sending out a Freshman in college to start at Wide Receiver in the Super Bowl.

StillKickin, Guinho and Berks repped this.
  12. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Btw, if we go into the Germany game needing just 1 goal to advance and it never comes, EVERYONE will be saying that's the goal Landon always made...

It would probably be better for Klinsmann to get blown out than to come up just short now.

13. Cowboy Junky

Cowboy Junky Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Wyoming
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because professional sports is littered with examples of 32 year old athletes that stop playing for half a year to go on vacation in Cambodia.

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Any way you can think to fairly determine this, and I will be glad to make a wager.

I have never seen any evidence that LD was any problem for team mentality, and the idea that Green or Davis will bring more to the table in two weeks is just not plausible.

In fact, if Green and Davis weren't smoking LD in training over the last week, then the players will have to wonder if they can trust JK's decisions. That's not a good thing heading into the Cup.

The idea that LD was sacrificed to get some teenager's commitment to sign for JK is hard to ignore.

Berks and SUDano repped this.
  15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I would agree on the former.

My major fear is the creativity coming out of the midfield. I think there's a major issue with what we have in there. Who is going to be the playmaker? Bradley? Is he considering going with a 4-4-2 now?

Donovan's done. I can't see why he'd be interested in playing again after this, especially considering he's already close to being done anyway.

I keep looking back at the fact that Donovan played virtually every single US international the US played between late '01 and late '12. There was an absolute ton of tread on his tires with seemingly zero breaks for 12 straight years. Just insane amount of work load.

Then you add Donovan being honest, but not really saying the right things this year, his words always suggesting he was at the end of the line. Just sounded more and more like he was broadcasting that the hunger wasn't quite there like it used to be, and the self-belief in willing his body to accomplish what it did in his glory days.

If nothing else, we can remember that Donovan ended his World Cup career with three consecutive brilliant moments: the initial comeback goal that basically scared the ---- out of the Slovenian goalie, the goal that sent us to the Round of 16, and the PK that pushed us to nearly defeating Ghana in the R16's-much, much better than how '06 had played out, and a fitting finale to his world cup career).

All I can think though is where the heck is the playmaker in this new design?

With Donovan gone, it has to be Mix or Bradley and it feels like we should go with a 4-1-3-2, with a Beckerman in the back, Bradley pulling the strings a la Mexico. If we continue to play in that disjointed 4-5-2 with Jones and Bradley getting in each others way and not covering for each other effectively we are dead.

StillKickin, aveslacker and Guinho repped this.
  16. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Was Landon set up being listed as a forward begs the question.

xbhaskarx, StillKickin, WrmBrnr and 4 others repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm more surprised that Goodson got cut, actually.

Guinho, Gamecock14 and FC Radar USA repped this.
  18. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    W0w! Just saw this-- Incredible! I'm sure Klinsi had a good reason, but really, I think this team is greatly going to miss Landon for one final go-round :(

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ridiculous. I understand people being shocked, even pissed, but no need to distort reality.

Plenty of players across sports make it to and past age 32 without needing sabbaticals. Landon's break was as much mental as it was physical. Europe is stacked with players who play year round, year after year and don't NEED breaks. Could a break have been beneficial? Sure. But that's different than NEEDING one.

His body appears to somewhat breaking down anyway, break or not.

And, he has not more than proven he's back to where he was at that time. Not at all. The Landon of a few years ago was a constant attack threat, deadly in the final 3rd, was aggressive going at goal and was creative, had pace, was flying up and down the wings in MLS or Everton. This Landon is not that Landon. That doesn't mean btw he can't help us or should have been cut, not at all. And he's better right now than guys on this squad, clearly.

But you're distorting reality.

Mosan, gunnerfan7 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sad. No "Captain America" leading the charge... :(

StillKickin and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Cowboy Junky

Cowboy Junky Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Wyoming
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler didn't take a four month vacation. He showed up fit to the world cup camp.

Lando? Not so much.

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing that makes me most skeptical about this decision is that Brad Davis was included over LD. It's not that they perform the same role, it's that LD's role would seem more useful than that of Davis.

StillKickin, WrmBrnr and Berks repped this.
  24. JDeuce23

JDeuce23 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I surprised? Yeah.

Was it the kind of surprise where I fell out of my chair and needed half an hour to pick myself back up? Nope.

I'll admit I don't understand the decision on a few levels. LD wasn't ripping off goals left and right, but if current form is the criteria, then I guess Jozy should have been among the first cuts. That's why JK had to have a good reason for doing this, and I don't believe it's because the two of them just "didn't like each other." Some of you may be jumping to that conclusion because you're looking for an excuse. Maybe we'll find out what that reason is, although we don't live in a football-mad country where reporters will stalk JK around the world until he answers the question. Only time will tell if this was the right decision. Which brings me to...

I'll tell you what would make me a lot more upset than LD's exclusion, and that would be if the veterans throw in the towel in a hissy fit and sulk their way through the WC because their buddy wasn't included in the trip. These guys are professionals. If you get to the big stage, give 110% when you're out on the pitch...and then you can send LD a freaking postcard every single day from your hotel room telling him how much you miss him if it makes you feel better.

It's over. The decision has been made. Move on, man up and go kick the crap out of the group of death.

25. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have General Bradley.