News: Donovan and Dempsey to miss Jamaica prep to attend family weddings

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ignatz brick, Jun 15, 2011.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I accept your surrender, Mario Mendoza.

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your mother died the day before your graduation, and you went to the funeral instead of your graduation, would that be you not taking the graduation seriously? Life is about choices. Family is always the best choice.

Get a grip! :eek:

3. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

You should read my post. I basically defended them.

And there's a huge difference between a wedding and a death in the family. It's safe to say that if it was a death in the family that not even the biggest pessimist in the world would have anything to cry about. Try again.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, is USSF paying for these private flights?

Those things ain't cheap and I doubt they're flying Cessna.

5. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post wins.

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati makes sure his top dogs are feed well.

7. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, both are arriving back in D.C. the day before the game? And in Landon's case, travelling cross-country and over multiple time zones? Can't begrudge either for wanting to be present for these occasions, but particularly in the case of LD, it will be a miracle if he has anything to offer after travelling 2,500miles and losing 3 hours' time...this is the real issue, not whether or not they are available to train.

8. o Sigma o

o Sigma o Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The Suncoast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it obvious? Bachelor party(ies)...

9. Jeff D. Fulton

Sep 8, 2005
    werd!

10. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back a few pages and read my post about nose candy and strippers :D

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Travelling on a private jet for 5 hours isn't going to render him physically incapable to perform. He can sleep on the plane, and have a few energy drinks sunday morning. This is a rediculous point. Never before have athletes had such luxerious travelling accomodations.

A miracle if he has anything to offer? Quit smoking crack. Not good for your judgement apparently. It's a private plane, with above first class treatment. He's not riding a freaking horse across the country. You do realize NBA, MLB, and NHL teams fly cross country numerous times each year, getting in at 2 and 3am, and are still able to perform the next day, right?

I don't know how out of shape you personally are, or if you get winded by walking up a flight of stairs, but flying for 5 hrs on a private jet is hardly exhausting. You must not have a clue what kind of condition these world class athletes are in. You don't have a clue how these guys look after their bodies, and that despite what you think, a 5 hr flight doesn't throw off their entire routine. Do you even realize what goes into recovery, and that the majority of that can be done on a private jet?

How about if LD has a good game, you promise to never post on BS again? If he comes out, and can't offer anything, where anything else would be a result of a miracle in your opinion, than I'll disappear. Fair enough?

12. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow calm down. People take everything to the extreme here.

Just because the guy posted something you disagree with you start acting as if he insulted your mother. Just calm down dude. Because you don't agree with his post doesn't mean you have to pull some dumb grade school "you leave or I leave" garbage. It's not that huge of a deal. You want to make your point then make your point without acting like a kid dude. No offense btw.

13. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped. I LOL'd out loud.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    What does it matter? Unless you are preparing to rag on USSF for not having money.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you're the one acting like a kid.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Some posters take it to the extreme by littering the forum with comments not based on reality. I simply pointed it out, and gave numerous examples. If you can't handle the truth, find something else to do with your time.

The kids are the ones who talk in absolutes without the ability to integrate logic or reality. If you're going to say a 5 hr plane ride will render you incapable of performing, and it will be a miracle if Landon does anything positive on the pitch after such a flight, you need to have something concrete to base that off, because sports team do that every damn week while performing successfuly.

It's not like Landons plane is going to be put on a ship andferried through the Panama Canal now is it?

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I read your post. The line that I cited didn't make any sense. It still doesn't make any sense. I want you to think about why it doesn't make any sense, instead of just emoting.

The implication that because they are going to their sisters' wedding means that they aren't taking the GC seriously is both idiotic and nonsensical. They aren't missing a match, they are missing a couple of practices.

A wedding is the most important day in a woman's life. To miss the most important day in your sister's life is kind of a big deal. Clint has one sister. He had two, but the other one is DEAD. Landon has one sister. She is his TWIN. I can guaran-fecking-tee you that this is also the most important day in their mothers' lives. Do you think their decision to attend took more than 1 millisecond?

What were you saying about them not taking things seriously?

P.S. I really like you!

19. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lolll, give me a freaking break. I'm a woman and I started this thread. Marriage ceremonies are cool and all, but if my brother had a prior engagement of this importance during my wedding, I'd be fine with him missing it. It's just a party with fancy dresses and cake, and I can save him a piece of cake!

Pretty sure their mothers have had more important days too. Like giving birth to them and all.

20. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure, that's how you feel. But I'm sure you understand that there are many women out there, possibly even the majority, that feel about these things exactly as mario says they do. You don't think it's possible that these two sisters fit into that category?

Weddings can be big deals. I once took time off work and traveled halfway around the world to attend a very good friend's wedding.

You may disagree with that, and you may not feel that way personally, but that doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way as you.

PS - so mario probably shouldn't have made a blanket statement but if you put "For many women" in front of his statements then it works fine.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are the exception, not the rule.

22. Footy Fan

Footy Fan Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    gotta love the ignorant males (and no I am not calling all the males on this board ignorant just the stupid ones) who think they understand how women work. Most women whose family members professions are affected by the seasons are going to factor that in when they are setting their wedding dates such as any families that are in farming, families who have people involved with the military, etc. just to name a couple. The one I understand is Dempsey's sister because for her there really isn't a good time of the year since Dempsey plays in Europe 10 months of the year and then for the other 2 months is with the US team for various events. Donovan's sister on the other hand is surprising because she knows her brother's profession is spent only during the summer months (and no you can't go with that she was banking on him being with the Galaxy at this time because their schedule is away). I'm more surprised that she didn't set it for May when it would have made more sense which brings me to think that she really doesn't care if he's there or not (that or she's like her brother and doesn't think big picture at all).

23. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City Dave, Mr. Warmth, I realize that not everyone feels like I do. At the same time, it's a pretty gigantic generalization to say the vast majority of women don't feel that way. I know a lot of people who would probably say the same thing as I did... that the whole "marriage is your most important day" thing is kind of old fashioned. There's nothing wrong with thinking that, I just really doubt it's the default, especially for women who are in their 20s-30s.

But let's say that for both of them it is -- that still doesn't mean Donovan and Dempsey were forced to go. I doubt either of their sisters went all Bridezilla on them. No, they both chose to leave practice, which (IMO) shows a lack of motivation toward winning the GC. Maybe it's not intentional, but since I doubt you'd see that behavior from any other major soccer country, that's how it looks.
    Shouldn't you be staring at pictures of half-dressed men under the guise of talking about how totally homo jajaja!! they are? Shoo.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The USSF should in no way, shape or form pay for these private flights.

There's a subtle difference between understanding and not giving a crap.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happen to be a woman too. Married with children.

They both chose to leave practice, which IMO shows a tremendous love for their families and has nothing to do with their motivation to win the Gold Cup. And the fact is, they can have their cake and eat it to, because they are still available to play the game on Sunday. And it's a game I'm sure they have every intention of winning.

There's a whole lot of judging happening in here.