Donny on the Spot - The van de Beek Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Gaal reveals he spoke to Donny about being left out of the Dutch squad. Not hard in the least to imagine what he must have told him...

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Donny might need to ask for a loan or move if he's going to get more playing time by January. Cause from his perspective he's trying to make the World Cup team and he needs game time. It doesn't have to be a complete sale but maybe we loan him back to Ajax just so he can get some time and make the WC team. Maybe he comes back cause he's not breaking his contract it's just what would be fair to a guy with World Cup ambitions.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As stated in the transfer thread, Ole simply can't ignore him completely the way he has so far anymore. Would simply be pretty messed up on his part at this point...

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He can only play rotation minutes. He's simply not good enough. Like has been said a million times by anyone who was aware of his game/level. He's not going to keep Bruno or Pogba out of the team and he's not an ideal pivot player so he isn't going to keep any CM out of the XI.

A waste of a purchase as was plain to see.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This failure is 100% on Ole and nobody else. It's not like Donny is behind a star or has been given minutes and failed. He was bought and put on an island by himself from day 1. The fact that we wouldn't let him leave on loan or on a transfer is just cruel. Why keep someone you clearly don't want and won't use.

Mismanagement 101.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #181 Ashur, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Couldn't disagree more with the assessment that he is 'not good enough'. Not going to go into a back and forth over this, but we can't fairly assess him yet, given the amount of games he's played in so far. And we can definitely say so when in the rare starts he's been given, he has accounted himself pretty well.
    Do I want or expect Donny to be a lock in the pivot? Not at all but at the same time, there is nothing anyone can say that will convince me that he didn't deserve to be given significant time in the last 2 games we played. Games vs the likes of Wolves and Soton especially are not ones where we need what Fred has to offer (even more so when he's not in form).
    Games where we are expected to have the lion share of the ball and to have the initiative are the ones where we can do with what Donny has to provide. At minimum, it's only fair to get the chance to see it on a more regular basis. We've seen Donny deployed next to Matic, with pretty good effect; I'm curious as to what it would look like partnered with Mc in specific type of games.
    When it's all said and done, if it doesn't work, Donny fails to produce or the team is out of shape and rhythm, then so be it. But as of now, we can't say with any certitude whether he's good enough for United or whether he'll make it, because his report card is far from complete...

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He IS behind a star. He's a 10 and he's behind Bruno. Best alternate is he's a box to box 8 and that puts him behind Pogba.

@Ashur just so I'm clear. Are you advocating Pogba/Donny against Wolves?

If Pogba and Bruno are starting, Donny is sitting. There's no way to have balance with those 3 on the pitch at once.

I think he should have got more minutes than he has, but he could have started 20 matches last season, it wouldn't make him better than PP or BF.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Fully agree. I mean he's not going to take any minutes from Bruno or Paul but we are using 2 8s in Fred and McT and you mean to tell me he is not better than either. Come on!! He may not be a 6 but we just played against Wolves with Fred at 6 and we're lucky to get away with a win.

He is most talented bad purchase since Shinji

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    WWE PHUCKING PLAYED FRED!!

That nullifies your whole argument!! If I have to chose a 6 between Fred, McT, Matic or Donny, I will go Matic against the right oppo but then Donny. He is more talented than Fred and reads the game better than McT. Don't f-ing sit there an act like there is any sense in Fred as 6.

benni... repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's an 8. I'll die on this hill. Just because he makes smart runs forward doesn't make him a 10, even though he can play that role. And I'm not advocating him playing ahead of Bruno or Pogba, but when Ole rotates those guys and gives the minutes to Jesse/McT/Fred etc is when I call bullshit.
    If we're going to play Pogba as a LW or with the addition of Ronaldo of we play a diamond again, Donnie should be the 2nd choice 8 behind Pogba every time. He does literally everything better as an 8 compared to McT or Fred. I would even be open to trying him as a 6 against teams that are just sitting back. Especially now that Varane is in the team. He's better on the ball, with better passing, better close control, and reads the game better than Fred or McT.

Edit: Also I disagree that we can't play Bruno, Pogba, and Fred on the pitch at the same time. If Pogba is playing LW like he has been lately, Bruno as the 10, I'm perfectly fine with Donnie and Fred as the 8 combo. It's better than Fred and McT/Matic.

jeff070 and Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Ole played a crocked McT in front of him last weekend. Clearly there's something more than "not good enough."

Pulp and benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never advocate this and I think you know it. You are aware of our current situation and Pogba, for all intents and purposes is best deployed on the left. That is until Rash returns.
    I clearly said in my post that we've seen Donny with Matic in the pivot, what I want to see next is Donny paired with Mc.
    Vs Wolves, the starting pivot I would wanted to see would be Matic and Donny (or at a push Matic and Pogs). But even if Fred played better in the 2nd half, I still would have taken him out for Donny: it just made sense considering how things were going, how we were playing (going back to the Soton) and so on...

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far worse than Kagawa for me. He was misused as well but he got opportunities at the very least (in the early going at minimum).
    The way Ole is treating Donny is nothing short of a disgrace: there are so many games we can think of where we would have liked to see him in, as he couldn't be worst than some players on the pitch at that time.
    And that is really what it comes down to: if others were always doing their jobs and performing at full tilt, it would be easier to understand Donny being left out. But when you count all the games we've been poor in and the guys playing in midfield at times having major stinkers, it becomes really hard to comprehend why he can't be given more of a chance.

jnielsen, doubletrouble, J'can and 2 others repped this.
  14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I wish I could rep this more than once. Say it again louder for the people in the back and Johno.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I got you dude.

16. Krispi

Krispi Member

Manchester United
    Aug 24, 2021
    European Union
    Pogba signify a backup player with more backup players McT and Matic and Ole will play Donny and Fred in DM and Bruno as number 10 role I thought 4-3-3 but Ole wants 4-2-3-1 with Ronaldo and Sancho attacking wingers and Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani center Fw?

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I cannot stress how wrong all of you are. Fred is a ********ing badass. He makes high profile mistakes at times, but if you think Donny is a better 6 than Fred (neither of them are 6 mind you) you are wrong.

Let the data speak for itself. I've arranged it by their strengths. You can see their per 90 numbers and also their rank. The higher the number in the rank, the better they are compared to other midfielders. Fred is elite at blocks, pressures, interceptions. He's very good at passing, progressive passing, tackling and volume of passing.

Donny is not good at those things, but he's elite at getting touches in the box, receiving progressive passes, dribbling and xA. Tackles, pressures, blocks and interceptions are all way below average.

You can play Donny at CM if you want to, but his output will not come anywhere close to Fred.

The best use of Donny would be as a plan B. If Bruno is having a bad day, Donny should be deployed. He could probably play off a wing as a playmaker.

I understand people really want Donny to play more. I think Donny SHOULD play more. He should be finishing matches for Bruno regularly and he should be playing the occasional rotation game. He's 8/10 not 8/6 and that means he has to play next to someone with more defensive chops.

You can talk shit about Fred if you want to, but when it comes to winning the ball back and getting it forward, he's pretty good. Fred would shine a great deal more in a team set up to make the most of his skills. On a different timeline, Fred/Donny/CMx would be a very neat trio with no obvious flaws as a unit.

Attached Files:

thenamestsam and jeff070 repped this.
  18. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred is garbage.

No amount of stats will convince anyone but you.

[​IMG]

jnielsen and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    In summation who are you gonna believe me or you eyes?

These stats mean nothing. Donny got 90 minutes over 5 games in a month. He was played at 10 or some other spot occasionally. We haven't seen him line up like Fred as an 8 or the 6.5 that Fred is.

We really don't know what he can do. We keep being told he is not good to be a 6.5 but Fred is.

20. Krispi

Krispi Member

Manchester United
    Aug 24, 2021
    European Union
    Next season we have changed Bruno + 70 Million £ to Spurs for Kane and have Ronaldo only a year contrackt with United?

We got Donny, may Rice, Fred, McT, may Matic DM and Pogba and Mejbri as in Bruno's spot?

Amad and Pellistri back for a-team as after loans a year before next season and we have Sancho left in a-team and may acquires Aubameyang a top winger in Arsenal and have left Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Chong may four of four and may 7/8/9 bullish vigor with Mata may left.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I endorse this message.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Donny isn't a 6, hasn't been one and everyone saying he can be a good one aren't basing it on real life. If you go back to Ajax days he still doesn't have numbers for inteceptions/blocks/tackles progressive passes etc that Fred has because that isn't his game.

Even if you invalidate Donny's numbers because Ole is the genius who is going to find his true position and unlock the best version of Donny, can you not see that Fred is not an average ball winner? If you compare Fred to Kante you get someone who does many of the same things to a similar (sometimes better) level but without the positional discipline or reading of the game that Kante has.

I'm so tired of Fred slander, y'all think Donny is better than Fred in the pivot and Fred has this wall of work that says he's elite and you all refuse to acknowledge it. It is wild.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #199 CybrSlydr, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    lol

Elite.

[​IMG]

You need a dictionary.

Nobody who's watched the abomination that is Fred on the pitch would use that word with him if they knew what it meant.

EDIT: Every fecking game-day thread, there are multiple instances where Fred has ********ed up and either nearly given up a goal due to terrible positioning/passing, actually given up a goal because of his terrible positioning/passing, or killed yet another United attack because he sucks.

Fred ********ing up is the one constant we've had since he's gotten here besides getting points on the road.

Is Donny a 6? No, I don't think anyone thinks he is. But as atrocious as Fred is in the role, I'm beyond the point where I'd like to give Donny a run of games at least to try and see if he can ******** up less than Fred.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What Cybr said!!!

But also, Fred is a an 8 that is being used as a 6.5 with McT so shove it up your ass this Donny has never played there. Fred was never used as a 6 til he got here. So doing need a experience but won't get it.

You call Fred elite!?! Based on what?! I can't remember Kante consistently making a goof every game!! I watch the game and I see what happens and how he is out of position, turning the ball over in the back 3rd, making passes that set up our defenders to fail.

Anonymous_United repped this.