Done deal -- SJ franchise to Houston.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: Done deal -- Quakes to Houston.

BYE, BYE MLS Why would you want to support this crap??? F___ them!!!

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

i think the annoying thing is that the houston team will still be in a similar situation. they dont have any concrete stadium plans. they will still be playing in a college stadium...or worse, a high school one. and no potential owners have come out. just rumors. and apparently, the Spartan Shops were willing to restructure the leasing agreements this year but AEG didnt respond. So I mean, Snake Eyes, you just have to understand that no one here is being rational. We've just lost our team...and we couldnt do anything about it. We watched as there was a tug-of-war between between San Jose, AEG, and Spartan Shops. It sucks. Just like being a kid and watching your parents fight and fight...and then they divorce. It wasn't your fault and you couldnt do anything about it.

3. wassuper

wassuper New Member

Dec 15, 2005

First of all, I completely disagree with you. While AEG did have their best interests in mind, they ONLY had their best interests in mind. Their MO - along with that of MLS - is to blackmail cities into paying for the construction of SSS's so that 1) MLS can legitamize itself(and US soccer), 2) AEG can get a bigger cut of the profits from concessions. It's greed; nothing more, nothing less. Garber just declared in his teleconference that MLS is making strides in securing SSS facilities for its teams. That's ALL they care about. It makes me sick.

:confused: Secondly, I DO NOT think this is time/place to criticize and question the feelings of obviously hurt Earthquakes fans. I suggest trying again later.

4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

If the press conference and details in the coming weeks show nothing new in Houston besides a new fan base then you certainly have a point.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly, this applies to every league (re building stadiums), it's not an MLS thing.

Anyway, I'm extremely disheartened this evening to know that this is now official. Between KC and you guys, I've had my fingers crossed, but apparently (at this point) only one worked.

I've had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of you, and it will suck to not only not see the Quakes (as they should be) next year, but also you guys, the fans.

I really hope that you guys get a new team wicked soon. And I hope your mayor and the damn city (who IMHO is the biggest blame recipient) ... well, I shouldn't wish things like that at this time of year.

Sorry guys ... I promise you will see something representing our feelings in New England next year when we play the Houston whatevers.

:(

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Without MLS legitimizing itself and AEG seeing an incentive to stay invested and see that the soccer can turn a profit the league will not grow and may not survive. Until MLS is making a profit they really are going to continue to have make decisions such as this. It's not greed when you are in the red.

7. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004

We have better things in our minds at the moment so excuse us for being sensitive. Being reasonable is probably not the word you're looking for when a fan just lost his/her team.

8. the other Sepp

the other Sepp New Member

Dec 1, 2005

What timing - I just checked my email, to find:

"LAST CHANCE: Order Now and Get MLS Gear by Christmas"
    from MLSgear.com

We'd better hurry :mad:

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Oh I understand.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

I can't find the right combination of words to express how I feel, but suffice it to say I feel for all Earthquakes supporters. I've met a fair number over the years and have been incredibly impressed by their passion and dedication, and hopefully they'll find another means to express their support in the near future.

The Magpie

11. wassuper

wassuper New Member

Dec 15, 2005

I just bought three jerseys! Better snatch them up quick! :(

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that this is much consolation, but I'm hoping that this actually proves fruitful:

From the MLS Article:

The City of San Jose and Major League Soccer have signed a Letter of Intent which provides a wide variety of support elements, including a stadium financing plan, to attract a local investor for an MLS expansion team in San Jose as early as 2007. The details of the Letter of Intent will be voted on at a future San Jose City Council meeting. The Earthquakes name, colors and competition records have been retained by MLS for this future expansion team.

13. wassuper

wassuper New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Was it just me, or did anyone else sense just a tad bit of frustration in Garber's voice to Graham's(sp?) comment regarding the loss of MLS's greatest rivalry?

14. aael

aael New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chico

sounded like AEG just wanted to go to 4th largest market and taking the best team in MLS as a way to get what it wanted was a bonus.
    strictly cash and assets.

the letter of intent is just a smoke screen to keep the fans here interested, since the letter means absolutely nothing legally speaking

and yes didnt seem to want to answer grahams questions

john in chico

15. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

You get the feeling that MLS and AEG finally just got sick of having their bluffs called by Spartan Shops and the local government.

They finally backed it up.

Will the government get on their horse? I have to be pessimistic because now that it is off the burner they can do as they wish and say they did their best.

May SJSU football be an anchor that continues to weight that university down.

Sorry guys. Damn.

16. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Like others, I feel for all Earthquakes fans at this time however it really seems as though the city of San Jose isn't really losing the "Earthquakes" as much as the team is taking a hiatus for a time. No consolation at this time I know.

I think it's important though to realize, though it may take some time before the anger and pain subsides, that the league does not seem to have ANY intent on leaving SJ high-and-dry. This is about $$ and to keep an owner appeased. An owner who operates 5 MLS teams.

Here's hoping we see the quakes back in '07.

17. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Agreed that the 'letter of intent' is for the fans but it's not a smoke screen of any kind. I truly believe that they feel SJ is a great market to be in.

18. aleveran

aleveran New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    SF, CA

Bay area has lost another one…
    While I understand business is business, some apartment complex can bring more money to the investor when the stadium, it is hurtful anyway. Who cares about fans or the role models for the kids? I guess we have to just settle for the steroid pumped athletes in a better hotdog and beer selling sports………….

19. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas

I'm moving to Houston, so I'm glad that they'll have a team, but I really hate that it had to be at another city's expense. My sympathies go out to the passionate San Jose fans, who I've come to admire greatly for their dedication to the team. Hope we can live up to that in Houston, and hope that the letter of intent is more than just a bluff to soothe irate fans. You deserve to get your team back.

20. wassuper

wassuper New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Garber: "The Anschutz Entertainment Group is one of the best sports and entertainment groups in the World - they're driven, they're focused,... they're EVIL :mad:

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Ah man, this puts a dampener on my day. I was blown away by the news. I think I speak for everyone in MLS when I say this sucks. You guys have been an awesome team throughout the years, great fans, great enthusiam. This just blows me away.

It's kind of cold soup to say they might throw another team your way in 2007 too. Man, I wish I had to kind of money to prevent these things from happening. Really sorry to hear the news guys. You guys have been great soccer fans and I hope you'll all stay that way, all things considered. :(

22. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry guys, as a soccer fan in chicago I've lost several teams over the 25 years and I know how much it hurts.

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just so glad they completely ruined my holiday season

24. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California

Merry freaking chistmas.

25. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Child abuse--they treated our team like crap and lied every time they opened their official mouths.