Dominic Cervi

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DannyUpper90, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
  2. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a better chance of winning the lottery, then figuring out what goes on in that man's head.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That right there is one of the lamest blogs I've ever seen. He's criticizing Dominic for going on trials at Portsmouth and Celtic. At both places, the coaches had really good things to say about him.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Spo...ts/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

"Celtic’s goalkeeping guru, Jim Blyth, was impressed by what Cervi produced during a three-week training stint with the club and after watching the 6ft 6in USA international in action recently during the Toulon tournament, the SPL champions are keen to add Cervi to the squad."

Yes, Cervi needs to find a club. But everything right now is pointing to him getting an opportunity in Europe. Why would he want to come to MLS (or the USL as the author suggests) so that he can play in the reserve league with guys from the marketing department.

Why do we criticize players for aiming high, following their dreams, and trying out for big clubs in Europe? If the kid ends up not getting the offers he wants in Europe, then guess what will happen? He'll come back to MLS. But for now, why not aim high?

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I will add this, although it might get me in trouble here.
    The best young US goalkeeper is probably Chris Seitz, who's gotten 3 appearances with RSL in 1.5 years. Well, you say, he's getting to play in reserve matches and train with the goalkeeping coaches at RSL.

My response is, training with who? The goalkeeping coach there is Jeff Cassar I assume, although his official title is assistant coach. Jeff was a journeyman MLS keeper, making 84 career appearances from 1996 to 2006 (an average of ~8 appearances a year). Now I have absolutely no idea if he's a great coach or not, but this is the man we're entrusting our best young keeper to.

If Cervi can latch onto a club like Celtic, they've got 3 full-time goalkeeping coaches: Jim Blyth, Chris Hannah, and Stevie Woods. Jim Blyth is a former Scottish national team goalie, who played over 160 times from Birmingham and Coventry. He then became goalkeeper coach and Coventry, and immediately recommended the signing of a 16 year old named Chris Kirkland (recently capped by England). He then moved to Celtic with Strachan, and has been given a lot of credit for turning Boruc into the keeper he is today. This is the man who said all of the nice things about Dominic in the above post. Stevie Woods is also a former Scottish national team goalie who played for Preston, Motherwell, Hibs, and others. I could go on, but won't.

What I'm saying is, I have very little faith in the "training" Chris Seitz is getting at RSL. I'd recommend that we shouldn't have any of our elite youth players in MLS, but should get them over to Europe as soon as they turn 18.

5. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    I didn't even know who this guy was when he showed up on some Nats rosters. I have no problem with him shooting for Europe, but I hope he is smart enough to realize that MLS play (and pay for that matter) is better than no play.

6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. At some point he has to latch on somewhere just to be playing so that these teams that say they'll keep an eye on him CAN keep an eye on him.

But he'd be much better served if he can spend a little extra time in Europe and catch on with a team. Keep in mind that while he is trialing he is getting minutes and coaching....not as much as the others who are on the team, but he is getting help.

7. clydej

clydej New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Hard to imply that Cassar is a lesser coach just because his playing career wasn't that great. Yeah it would be nice if Friedel and Meola were coaching Seitz but there is no guarantee about who pans out as a good coach.

The bigger developmental issue for me is that Seitz isn't playing for RSL in first team matches. The smattering of U-20 and Olympic matches just isn't enough. Almost wish he could have been loaned to a USL team for a year so he could get first team minutes.

8. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    How often do teams put players on trial and come out and say "man he really sucked!"

So you have to take their diplomacy with a grain of salt. The proof is in the signing...there is none.

better goalies abroad cant get jobs (Pickens).

So the longer he stays on the US olympic bench and not playing, his chances of signing oversees improves?

NOT

Who was the back up at the last olympic games (tht we qualified for)? Did he go immediatley to Celtic or Man U or wherever else Cervi allegedly had a shot of staying with?

this guy made a mistake and should go beg the Fire for the league minimum and a chance at the reserve team or one of its youth teams.

Righ now hes qualified to start for the Chicago Magic. he hasnt done anything. He rally wasnt that good in college. was drafted on his "potential".

9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too often. But they don't come out and say they 'really liked him and are keeping an eye on him' if he sucked either. That sword has two edges my friend.

And no, he shouldn't go begging to the Fire for league minimum and pickup games that are 'reserve matches' in name only. He can set his sights a little lower and stay in Europe, make the best, honest living he can and improve.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The goalies for our 2004 qualifying campaign were D.J. Countess and Doug Warren. Both already in MLS.

2004 goalies for the olympics were Adin Brown, Matt Napolean, and Tim Howard. All already in MLS.

What's most unusual about this situation, is that we have a guy on our alternate list who's never played a professional game in his life. I don't know why we didn't put Quintin Westberg as the alternate, who's much more qualified. Or maybe Tally Hall, who Bradley and company called into a camp. I know, I know, it's just the alternate keeper position.

I have no problem with Cervi trying his luck in Europe. I don't know why people seem so upset about his rejecting the Fire. Let's see where he ends up before jumping on him. He wasn't going to start with the Fire, and he's not going to start with whatever club he signs for in Europe. It's all about where he thinks he'll get the best training.

11. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Probably because the coaches felt that Cervi is better than both Hall and Westberg.

Experience doesn't always equate to being better...

12. jchae

jchae Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cervi needs to get a club team soon or his career is going to be over fast. No one is gonig to keep giving trials to a guy that has never played professionally and without a team in a year.

And to say Seitz is getting lesser coaching at RSL because there aren't any former players of note, I don't know how true that is. A lot of times the guys that weren't great players make the best coaches because they actually had to learn the game to make up for their lack of talent.

13. aceterp

aceterp New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominic Cervi might as well set base camp on the moon. He isnt that good. For some reason Bradley/Nowak have a hard-on for his potential... And I admit his size and frame are definitely a great asset... but he has sucked in competition. Its great that he trialed overseas.. I hope he lands a spot and becomes what everyone wants him to be.

He's all potential... which we could say for dozens of US players...In underage internatonal competition Cervi has doen NOTHING to deserve subsequent call-ups. In contrast, Chris Seitz has done exceptionally well in underage international competiition.

When it comes to Seitz, if he doesn't start next year at RSL, then that might raise some concerns. Nick Romondo is not a very good keeper, but what most keepers need is real game experience. Does anyone know how Seitz is performing in reserve matches?

All you have to do is look at Will Hesmer as an example from Wake Forest. I think he graduated in 2003 as Goalkeeper of the Year? drafted by KC in 2004 then moved around a bit. And I beleive he was given the reigns at Columbus in 2007.

Seitz left MD in 06, and was drafted in 2007. He has had two starts in MLS and posted an abysmal 2.5 GAA and went 0-1-1. So regardless if that was unlucky or RSL just plain out sux defensively, RSL decided he isn't ready yet.

He's only 21 years old. He will get his chance and I hope its sooner rather than later...

14. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Whats more ridiculous than Cervi not playing anywhere but the US olympic reserves..

Is Seitz taking a back seat to Rimondo. With player evaluations like that its now wonder theyve had a hard time competing.

Theres no learning like on the field learning and no offense but Rimundo has to be one of the bottom 4 keepers in MLS.

15. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Seitz's lack of speed is an issue. He also is incredibly lost in setting up deffenses. In college ball you can get away with this' but in the pro's? Haha. He needs to either learn to talk strong or do what he's doing right now and letting someone else take the lead. I feel compared to other young keepers; Chris is highly overrated but that's my opinon.

16. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is in first place. Rimando was the best keeper for July, and is third best for the season.

17. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Yes,

congrats on leading the <ahem> western division. You guys are doing swell considering your a recent expansee but the last two years were dreadful. Your defense is pretty good...not Rimondu. Some pretty weak players have pulled of a nice string to get honors before.

If you like him over Seitz's potential to be a top 3 goalie in the league by all means have at it.

But theres just a few other teams Ramundo would start for. Hes reached his ceiling and is going back down.

This mirrors the Fire of the past 2 years

Like when the Fire played Zack Thornton on the downside of his career till he was unbearable (Rimondo close to that). The Fire finallly switched to Pickens who everynone but the coach knew would be better. The Fire than suffered some growing pains with the young keeper. Pickens gets better but the problem is hes been a backup to thornton a few years and now hes free agent. So we only got less than a year out of him. Then he went to England.

And trust me, theres more eyes (from abroad) on Seitz now than there ever was for Pickens.

So stick with Rimondo and get a half season From Seitz, then you lll say "he shoulda started all along"

But too late, seasons over and hes going to Fulham.

18. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, not my team. Just sayin'.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ramundo, Rimondu, Rimondo.......

How about Rimando. MLS Cup Champion Nick Rimando.

Rimando's pretty good. I have no idea how good Seitz is, because I've only seen him play a couple of times for youth national teams.

20. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago

Tony Meola won a cup do you want him to be your keeper too?

21. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    At one point he was our best chance. It took a little too long to pass the torch to Keller and Friedel, but Meola didn't smoke too much junk with the New York Jets. He was afraid to tell the business to his lady friend and subsequently got stuck in a ditch.