Domestic Leagues 2023-2024 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2023.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    "VAR is gonna stop having the referees be the story of the game and we can, instead, focus on the football." - VAR Proponents

Thegreatwar and Mikael_Referee repped this.
  2. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    What a joke. Surprising to see this at all, let alone like a week after the entire country came out to say how much referees should be supported and respected. That lasted a while!

Should be not only a forfeit but a hefty points deduction. Can’t normalize or justify this sort of lack of sportsmanship.

JasonMa and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I would expect spiritus sanction from the league. But not because it supports the ref. Walking off the field damages the product.

4. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have been wrong in downplaying local and cultural factors here. Yikes

JasonMa repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think I actually prefer pulling your team over mass confronting of the officials.

SouthRef repped this.
  6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    People are being way too harsh.

Last week, they were punching refs and kicking them when they were down. Now, they're simply taking the players off the field or fighting among each other.

Baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

On a serious note, it's a shame since the Turkish National Team made great strides this year to put together a decent team as they've been mostly irrelevant over the past 15 years. Most of their players are still playing on domestic teams, but their leaders are still neanderthals.

8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
  9. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    My first thought on the first red (other than looking in the wrong pocket) was this guy is going to get decked with the way he's holding it in front of the players face.

Low and behold, he's involved with another player making contact with him in the 57th minute.

10. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    The replay shows a flying knee to the back, but the announcer thinks because the studs aren't lifted, it's not red...

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It's especially silly when the studs dig into the calf on the way down.

Man that 2CT for a dive was really poor. He had plenty of contact on his knees.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me: "I wonder how that pretty big Napoli/Roma game is going?"

2023-12-23 16_09_23-ROM 0-0 NAP _ AS Roma - Napoli _ Summary.png

Me: That seems about right.

Mikael_Referee repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All we need now is a Mourinho send off.

AremRed repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a brilliant SPA to defender and VC to attacker moment from the ref though.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, neither of the two coach cards are at the right time. The Napoli one was earlier than listed (and off-screen). Mourinho's was in reaction to the yellow card given at 38', which was... soft to non-existent? And the reaction wasn't that bad at all. If the Napoli coach wasn't already booked, I kind of doubt Mourinho gets his yellow there.

I can't wait until we have a good clip of this to share. Fascinated to see how people think an EPL--or even MLS--ref would handle. It's a gratuitous kick-out after the SPA but the contact is minimal and it's with the laces or outsole. It's the kind of thing we all reflexively knew was VC in the beforetimes, but I feel most refs/competitions have moved toward "meh, that's UB" in the here and now. Interestingly, the first Napoli player to arrive on the scene went to the guilty player to say "what are you doing?" rather than protest with the ref. Of course, the protests with the ref then came. Still, fascinating window in the geographic/cultural differences on what might be expected for the exact same behavior in different competitions.

Mikael_Referee and code1390 repped this.
  16. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Napoli-Roma 66' SPA + attacker VC RC

https://streamin.one/v/c556b2ba

This game seemed like a spitshow so I'll try to watch the full thing if I can. Also I enjoy the coach, assistant coach, and player at the end all doing the Italian tented fingers hand gesture

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a classic pre 2015 VC kickout that var was going to stop that instead just became accepted as a yellow now. No way they go red in England.

Thegreatwar and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I'd maybe move that 2015 back to 2011 or maybe even earlier, depending upon the level of competition and organizer. I feel like ever since this red card at the WC, the desire to have these actually be given has diminished...

Thegreatwar repped this.
  19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Coincidentally that referee (Ruiz) was at his third World Cup so he went through World Cup/pre-tournament seminars where that was no ifs and buts a red card. Always.

He did one more match at that World Cup and didn't officiate at the knockout stages of that tournament.

Would the refereeing stars of that World Cup who were at their first World Cup (Howard Webb, Kassai, and Irmatov) have given a red card there?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet they're glad they didn't have to make the decision.

21. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If we're being honest and want to go through the effort, I'm willing to be that there was at least something close in one of their games in that World Cup.

22. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    This discussion reminds me of the VC in Orsato’s ARG-MEX that went under everyone’s (except referee nerds’) radar.

23. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Webb faced a somewhat comparable incident - according to strictly applying the laws, he should have sent off an Italian for striking out at the Slovakia goalkeeper in the epic group decider, but instead he only cautioned both (the keeper for time-wasting by trying to keep the ball in the net after Italy scored). FIFA internally supported the decision, YC for the Italian was assessed as correct.

I think the 'modern prism' maybe swings the impression of the Ruiz red card a bit much, I think it was an easily expected decision back then. These ideas about the 'force' of a potential VC didn't really exist, at least as we know them today. Fast-forward to WC2014, and even this Pogba kick out incident was determined by the new FIFA as being only worthy of a yellow card (internally).

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Something happened between WC10 and WC14. I’m not saying the Ruiz red card was the reason for the shift. But I’m sure it was part of a conversation or used as an example.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States