Domestic Leagues 2023-2024 Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2023.

1. A horrible incident took place in the Eredivisie match RKC Waalwijk - Ajax.
    From what I could see, Ajax striker Brobbey knocked the goalie's head with his knee or femure.
    The picture shown seems to indicate he kicked the head.
    I wonder what the Referree Board is going to do. Obviously nobody was going to pay attention to the how, as the goalie's health was in jeopardy.
    Without the hectic of the fear for the health of the goalie, the ref and the VAR would have taken a good look at what happened. Now with these consequences, hospitalization, a look by the Ref Board is a must.
    upload_2023-10-1_14-22-29.png

2. This picture shows it's a fact:

upload_2023-10-1_14-41-35.png
    Brobbey must be charged by the Ref Committee.

3. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    This video came out recently from France -- very interesting.

StarTime and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    To anyone who speaks Spanish, Movistar tv channel in Spain who hired Lahoz to do champions league analysis posted a clip of him in studio. How does he sound?

5. The more images appear, the damaging it becomes for Brobbey.
    The FA can't let this go by. A player got into a life threatening situation. This must be investigated to show either Brobbey is innocent, or he has to face the consequences of his deed.
    upload_2023-10-2_23-11-29.png

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Celta Viga goal that was disallowed today, causing a healthy uproar. Dale Johnson has decided to use this to deflect from the PL's failings for some reason.

https://streamable.com/wk9j7b

Bradley Smith and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German Women's Bundesliga match Frankfurt vs Wolfsburg.

Wolfsburg's goalkeeper Frohms fouls Frankfurt's Dunst (0:18 in the video). Referee Fabienne Michel gives a penalty but shows Frohms no card. I have some discussions with someone in the Germany Women's Football Forum. I think it's a clear DOGSO and the goalkeeper has to be shown a yellow card while the other poster denies that any of the four criteria for DOGSO is fulfilled.

Later in the match there is another foul by Frohms in the penalty box (2:53 in the video) but the referee wrongfully decides that it's a corner. What would have been the correct punishment for Frohms here if the penalty would have been awarded? I think it should have been a yellow card while the other poster thinks it should have been a red card.

Because we both know the DOGSO criteria but obviously understand them different I ask here:
    What would be the correct cards shown to Frohms?

8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I have DOGSO yellow for both.

Lohmann and ManiacalClown repped this.
  9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think on the field you can rationalize the first one down to SPA (which of course means no card due to the penalty) in the moment due to the two central defenders, but the reality is that it's an open goal due to the keeper coming out, and neither defender is truly positioned such that they could defend an immediate shot. DOGSO yellow seems like the correct decision to me.
    The second seems really cut and dry. If that's a foul, it's DOGSO with an attempt to play/challenge for the ball that results in a penalty so YC again seems correct to me.

StarTime, Lohmann and AremRed repped this.
  10. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    DOGSO Y and DOGSO 2CT and neither are particularly difficult calls.

Lohmann repped this.
  11. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the Bologna - AC Milan match but for someone who did, any thoughts on this?

12. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    Quite an interesting last few minutes of the match (this incident, two red cards, and Giroud playing GK). More highlights here:

As for the Pulisic goal, I guess you can make an argument the ball hits the arm high enough that it's above the bottom of the armpit (or at least that it's close enough not to be a clear and obvious error). At first glance it really looks like obvious handling, but Pulisic does well to pull his arm back to keep the ball from hitting the forearm.

13. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Not one but two Granada players go down after coming into contact with Joao Felix in the buildup to Barcelona's game-tying goal. From 4:49 in ESPN's highlights. Referee is Soto Grado, VAR is Del Cerro Grande.

14. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    I saw the last 30 minutes live and it was an entertaining match. But I will say, the first player (4:56) going down from Felix did seem like Felix initiated the contact from behind. The 2nd player obviously just ran into the back of Felix. I am surprised it wasn't called back.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Absolutely disgusting.
    Sacchi refuses to shake female AR’s hand.

16. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a story other than this video? Because I see (at least) two things.

He shakes the hand of the captain on his right. Not the male assistant in front of him.

He then turns to his left and puts his arm up. His female assistant doesn’t initially respond. He then moves to shake the captain’s hand, who is standing behind her.

I can very easily see a scenario where he either always intended to “aim” for the captain and it was all a mistake OR he felt she didn’t react quickly enough and there was a misunderstanding. My guess is it was actually both. Maybe she was slow to react precisely because she didn’t initially expect him to shake her hand there.

I mean, sure, maybe he’s a massive sexist who decided to torpedo his career by being an asshole on camera for no real reason. Or there could be another explanation. At the VERY least, the fact that he didn’t shake the other assistant’s hand in the tunnel is a relevant fact because if anyone is arguing he snubbed his female assistant on sexist grounds… well, that fact seems to undermine the accusation.

StarTime, jdmahoney, AremRed and 2 others repped this.
  17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah. In my career, I've never been on a crew where I or anyone else shook hands with each other in the tunnel before we walk out. We shake hands and say hi to each other in the locker room and maybe shake hands with each other right before we walk out of the locker room and we shake hands with each other after the coin toss before we go our separate ways to check nets/blow the whistle.

Never right before the walk out.

It's not like this referee was running late and just came out of the parking lot dressed to blow the whistle and this is was the first time all day he's seeing his crew.

He's clearly going to shake the hands of the captains who he probably has not seen until the tunnel.

I think this is a complete misunderstanding and I think her reaction afterwards (shaking of the head and smirk) is what really causes the suspension and bad optics.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I would have thought the league would have looked into that before suspending him for a match.

19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not too concerned about what the league did or didn't do here (or, more accurately, what they reportedly plan to do). Honestly, if this was a direct snub based on sex, a one-game ban would be completely laughable. So if we want draw a conclusion around the intent of the act, perhaps a discussion about the length of the ban is appropriate.

But I quoted your post saying that this was "absolutely disgusting" and that Sacchi "refuse[d] to shake a female AR's hand." My question is whether you studied the video enough to believe, on your own, that the second statement is true. Because if you didn't, I'm not sure what you're disgusted about.

Also, back to the alleged ban... we're basing this off a tweet without sourcing that says Sacchi "reportedly faces a 1-match ban." Again, where's the reporting? And also, 1-match is a convenient dart to throw because referees sit for a weekend all the time.

Sorry, but unless there's reporting about some sort of personal animosity between the referee and AR, this seems like it's absolutely nothing. My interpretation of this whole incident is exactly this:

Not that I blame her for the smirk and head shake--it's a misscommunication where she probably does think she was snubbed, so that response is pretty natural. Also, reiterating that I want to actually see this "suspension" before I take it as gospel.

I'd also point out that Sacchi looks flustered. He looks up ahead before turning to shake a hand to his left. And the AR herself had already made eye contact toward someone up ahead. Honestly, the more I watch this and think about it, I think the real issue here is probably that Sacchi was late coming up the tunnel. Everyone was waiting for him, which isn't normal, right? So you have a match delegate or commissioner or whatever ready to get the show on the road, the ARs are ready and Sacchi arrives late, rushes some handshakes and you get what you see here. Open to being proven wrong, but that's my analysis of the clip.

StarTime repped this.
  20. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Looks to me like he gives her a quick chance, she doesn’t react, and then he goes to the captain. Assuming there’s not more, and he apologized to the AR for the miscommunication, this is a nothingburger.

21. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  22. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR